Once Bottled, What Temp To Store At?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguide

Reaction score
As the title suggests I was hoping for some feedback regarding this topic. At present once I bottle I tend to store them back in the fridge at the same temp I fermented at until ready to drink (might be 3 weeks, might be 8 weeks depending on stocks and the beer/s available) at which point I put in my main fridge and cool to 4ish degrees depending on the style of beer.

Now that I'm brewing more frequently my fridge space is at a premium and I'm trying to figure out what to do to use my temp. controlled fridge effectively.

Once I've completed primary fermentation, typically a week or so I rack to secondary and leave for the appropriate time in the fridge. Then I bottle. Do I really need to be priming these bottles at the same temp? Can I just store them at room temp instead?
Should I fridge them at fermentation temp for a few weeks until they've carbonated then store at room temp.

Many options and ideas floating in my head - but I just don't know which is best.

What does everyone else do? Obviously I don't want to lessen the quality of the beer, so keep that in mind when answering :)

I tried searching for a definitive answer, but found many conflicting ideas and many untested theories :(

Keeping them at fermenation temp is ideal, but room temp is fine, esp if it is fairly consistent (not rushing up and down).

Although I wouldn't store them near a heater or in a room that gets too warm. :)

Moonee: How long should they be kept at the ideal temp? A few weeks, or until chilled to drink?

The longer the better, but from my experience two weeks is a good amount of time.

2 important things

1/ Keep in dark - Light is the enemy

2/ Keep in constant temp target range 10-20deg

I have a lge 6foot fish tank with cabnet under which is perfect. about 18deg all year round and no light!

Latest posts

Back