Old Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limebouquet

Reaction score
Just decided to start brewing again after over 10 years, maybe even 15.
Getting the gear out of storage, found lots of old kits in cans, threw a few out as they were bulging a little, but am worrieds this was a waste, and they could still be OK, or evemn possibly ebven nicer aged.
The local shop meister ( suspect he contributes here), advise malt can't spoil, just gets darker. But no one is game to comit to a statement of " it's safe to use tyhenb kits I still have. ( Any advise? Don't want to waste them needlessly, but not keen on food poisoning either.
A mate suggests brewing a couple of kits, then offering the first couple of bottles to someone we don't really like to see what happens. The local member maybe?

Definitely not a waste to throw out a bulging can, that can be a sign of microbiological growth inside. Also the malt darkens AND oxidises I believe, so it can most definitely turn to shit, which is what has likely happened, having said that it is probably safe to consume, but would make rubbish beer.

I think if you use the 10 year old can you will be wasting more time and money than if you just threw them and bought fresh ingredients.

Definitely not a waste to throw out a bulging can, that can be a sign of microbiological growth inside. Also the malt darkens AND oxidises I believe, so it can most definitely turn to shit, which is what has likely happened.

I think if you use the 10 year old can you will be wasting more time and money than if you just threw them and bought fresh ingredients.

I had a mate who made one with an out of date kit, imo you can taste the difference. Vegemite anyone?

The malt extract would probably have oxidised and taste stale, the hop extract would have likely reduced in bitterness, and the yeast may be dead and not viable. Probably safe to consume, but at least buy some new yeast. Personally I wouldn't think it was worth the effort.

Thumbs down to using expired cans, been there done that ages ago, dark and nasty.
I used a few i had left for targets after that lol.
For the price of goo cans these days, why risk it.

I once had a can of coopers bavarian style lager (now deleated) it was only three months out of date but the guys from coopers advised me it could turn as dark as an english style bitter! So i mixed it with a stout and made a toucan!
I think if its less then three months out of date make a toucan! if its over 3 months out chuck it!

A few years ago I did a basic 46 litre brew out of 2 x Coopers Lager cans etc that were out of date by one month.
All cleaning and santitizing methods were adhered to thoroughly as usual but I got a brew which was a close taste of bandaid crossed with toejam.
I blame the out of date cans as I have never, touch wood, had an infected brew.

Back