Old Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwil7034

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have some grain leftover from January. We're talking probably enough to make a 20ltr pale ale. It had been milled already but has been sealed since.

I was thinking of using it up and getting rid of it. My concern is it has been left milled for so long.

What are the implications of this? I assume I'll end up with a lower efficiency. I've got a tin of light malt having around somewhere and was thinking of throwing it in towards the end to offset it. Does this sound wise?
Matt

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Keen for some feedback. I've got sealed milled grain from Craftbrewer since November :ph34r:

If its been well sealed and dry it may still be ok. It may loose some enzyme power. The longer left cracked the less conversion you will get as it will draw in moister. If vac sealed it will last months

Its well sealed and dry but not vacuum sealed. Ill give it a go as is and if it doesn't quite turn out I suppose next time I'll know!

I'd say you should have little problem unless you have a lot of grain to convert. I just used 3+ kg of three month old milled JW Vienna and specialty grains in a BIAB partial mash, with single dunk sparge. The mash efficiency was 87%. Ross at Craftbrewer says up to six months is fine.

yankinoz said:
I'd say you should have little problem unless you have a lot of grain to convert. I just used 3+ kg of three month old milled JW Vienna and specialty grains in a BIAB partial mash, with single dunk sparge. The mash efficiency was 87%. Ross at Craftbrewer says up to six months is fine.
Yahtzee!!

Taste it. If it's stale or soft tasting it's probably not worth the saving. If it's still got a crisp bite, use it.

I've cracked grain and left it in a sealed bucket for 2 months before I had used it - it was stored in a pretty stable cellar and turned out to be a great beer (MO Smash)

Should be fine unless it tastes/smells weird

how long does unmilled grain last in general??

I order all my grain 3 months worth of batches at a go, all milled. Never had a problem.

As Robson Green says...'GET IN'.

I once order grain in December - and never got around to brewing it until the following May.

As per Manticles advice above I had a taste to see if it was still crisp.

Possible outcomes: -

If you dont use it - the grain is going to waste.

If you do use and it doesnt work - the grain goes to waste ( plus your time, yeast and hops)

If you do use it and it works - your a winner.

The way I looked at it - the bag of grain was worth about $25 but a new sachet of yeast only $6. (the hops i had on hand). So for the cost of a sachet of yeast It was worth giving it a go.

The time wasnt an issue for me - I enjoy the brewing process. Every brew is a learing experiencee for me. I saw it as a chance to get to know my process and gear better. (For memory it was my first effort at step mashing

You risk a few dollars on the yeast and you get to learn more

If you have some fresh grain with good diastatic power such as Weyermann, Joe White or BB then you could use a couple of kilos of that in with your old grain, it should give the old grain in the mash a lift if needed.

Grainer said:
I've got a huge supply of 1999 JW wheat that I'm going to experiment with. Sealed in airtight drums all that time.

I've used some of it recently & not noticed a problem (except for my own process stuff-ups).

YMMV. Don't try this at home, kiddies!

Edit: When I say I've used it, that means I'm testing-out my new equipment & processes with it to push the limits of possibility - NO guarantee of quality drinking (but I've enjoyed the stuff that I've made so far).

GrumpyPaul said:
I once order grain in December - and never got around to brewing it until the following May.
BTW....it was my swap beer from the last Xmas in July swap.

So some of you buggers got to drink my "Old Grain - Cherry Ripe Porter" and as far as I know no one died from it .....yet

Grainer said:
I'm drinking my first AG beer made since about 1996, using the same pale ale malt. It has been sealed in drums the whole time. The grain tasted ok so I thought I'd give it a go (splashed out on some fresh crystal and hops). So I would not worry too much.

Well it came out pushing 80% so it should be good, we'll see how it tastes in a few weeks I suppose... fingers/toes crossed

Good to know - interested to see how it turns out.

Does anyone have any differing advice when it comes to milled Crystal grains?

Stored dry and sealed, but not vacuum. Is it less important how fresh they are since they don't need to be mashed?

Latest posts

Back