Ok I'm Bored Let's Do A Speed Baib

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onya Maheel - I'll check in on your progress as you go.

HEY BRIBIE!
This reminded me to ask - why did you go back to the bag? I'm putting together a bucket in pot system similar to your one from last year. Cons?

I built a lauter tun with false bottom, recirculating with a jug, and got some really clear wort into the kettle:

runoffLarge.jpg

However at the end of the day the beer didn't seem much different from standard BIAB. And it took ages to sparge, RdeVjun and I did a RIS and the brew day went from 4.30 PM to Midnight. And the cleanup was unbelievable, urn, lauter tun, wort catcher, esky, false bottom, tubing....

So I did another system using a bucket with a false bottom made out of a kitchen strainer and viole. It worked reasonably well but it was hard to get all the wort out of the grain and I had to sparge, with varying results.

In the end I just sold the false bottom, salvaged what vessels I hadn't drilled into and headed back to Spotlight. B)

mashed out
drained the bag
done the squeeze about 10.45

bringing it to the boil 4400 watts (immersion stick and 2400 screw in element)

DSCF5175.JPG

DSCF5176.JPG

DSCF5177.JPG

DSCF5179.JPG

boiling 11.10

this is single element 2400 screw in (small one)

time to weigh the hops and clean the bag

DSCF5160.JPG

DSCF5181.JPG

You are such a ******* Maheel. I'm at work wishing I could put a brew down :)

done about 12.30 all cleaned up

maybe i should make it a 3 keggle BAIB rig and not bother with the 3V in the making ?

3 variety triple in about the same time would be fun

DSCF5184.JPG

DSCF5185.JPG

DSCF5187.JPG

DSCF5188.JPG

Should have let me know you were brewing! I was just sitting and drinking today!! ;)

Cheers

Should have let me know you were brewing! I was just sitting and drinking today!! ;)

Cheers

I didn't see you online till lunch otherwise I would have shot you a PM

I was making some space for the incoming hops as well, hoping they might get here this week.

next time mate :)

Remember back in the pioneer days with our circle of wagons when there used to be a thread with a table of BIABers we could update with how many brews we had done, etc.

I sometimes think it's probably time to ditch the BIAB tag and maybe change it to MIAB (Mash in a bag) or something as it's not an entire brewing system but only just one stage in the voyage of the noble barley grain on its way to your brain. After all, HERMS and RIMS have the M word in them.

However I think the BIAB tag is here to stay :p

Hey I might do a slooooowww BIAB and an overnight mash, get the mill out around 9 pm and go to mashout around 8 am in the morning - Irish Red so nice and dry will fit the bill :beerbang:

And BIAB is one of those things that, in the same way that ghetto is a product of "true" 3V, and RIMS/HERMS came from basic 3V, that has spawned so many 'forks' (in programming speak) that are all valid in their own sense.

I say this, in the sense that BribieG's method is what you'd call the "original" BIAB, as espoused by PistolPatch and others.

The forks were, among others, Nick_JD's stovetop method - which spawned my two pot stovetop method - as well as Maxi-BIAB and other methodologies.

Those forks, among other things, have given people a leg up into AG brewing. I got a workmate onto the stovetop method a few weeks ago, and he's hooked.

It got me up and running, and withing my budgetary, DIY and time constraints, I've developed (aka stole) a system that works for me.

But, as bum said earlier - the biggest variable is the brewer. A poor brewer can produce poor beer on a fantastic system, and a great brewer can produce great beer on a budget/ghetto system.

Realistically "the proof of the pudding is in the eating".

Back