OG 1.100 extract IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkers

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to brewing.. Probably knocked out 15 extract kits... Anyway I knocked off early today so thought I would come home and whack a brew on. Had gear here so off I went.. This is what i did..

1 Thomas coopers IPA
1 briess CBW sparkling amber liquid malt extract
300g dark crystal malt boiled at 80 degrees for 20mins
1kg dextrose
25g cascade
15g citra
15g centennial
15g brewcellars premium ale yeast

How did I end up with this wine gravity reading?
I've added half kilo dextrose lo kits with coopers malt extract cans and only a gravity reading of 1.045??
is my hydrometer screwed?
What the hell has happened?

I've found that since moving to all extract I often get high readings, I think it's just that the extract doesn't always mix in perfectly so I end up with a gravity gradient. I find if I discard the first little bit, out of the tap I get a better reading. Also my final gravity readings are usually pretty close to the predicted values.

I wouldn't worry.

Well you haven't stated what your batch size is so it could be 1.100....

But like paulyman says, its likely that it isn't fully mixed. make sure you give it a damn good stir, use a whisk if you can as it helps get some oxygen into your wort, which is beneficial at this stage of the ferment.
I used to find that my starting gravity was often 0.010 away from the predicted until i made sure everything was mixed really well. liquid and dry malt extracts should be dissolved in hot water where possible. I usually added them in after the boil when the liquid was still hot so it would dissolve better.

Pull about 30ml through the tap first and discard. Then take a second sample and test that.

300 grams is a hell of a lot of dark crystal. I'd be using maybe 30 grams and would think it was enough.

hoppy2B said:
300 grams is a hell of a lot of dark crystal. I'd be using maybe 30 grams and would think it was enough.
I have used 300g of caraaroma several times in beers and it is great.

Back