Off the shelf go-to beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aldi Sainte Etienne lager, $29 a slab.

Typical North Euro lager in the same family as Belgian / Dutch with a lovely upfront hop snatch. Made by the biggest independent in Northern France.

Oettinger isn't too bad but a bit thin, more like Germany's VB.

I filled a keg with Oettinger cans once just to buy some more time to ferment more of my own beers to fill kegs with. It went alright, and by the end of the keg there was sludge in it that I can only figure was yeast.

Basically any of the nail brewing core range. Their red ale and stout is bloody brilliant, dunn brown, golden ale and nail ale is also quite good. Fall back is coopers

I've been picking up the occasional 4 pack of Adnams Ghost Ship pale ale. 4 pints for $14 at dans isn't bad and its a nice drop.

I've been in the poor house or too busy to brew myself for over 6 years.
Years previous to that I could go to a sail and anchor pub (The queens in highgate), Bobby dazzlers for coopers on tap, also a Nail when there brewing there, then Little creatures when they where the hot new thing, then Feral when they were new. But then there was a long drought with nothing but oettinger or goon to drink.
I think it was Nev that got me into drinking oettinger.
Funny as hell moment when my SIL married a German guy and he went WTH, it's our cheapest/worst type beer, like $17 a carton over there and was suprised to even see it over here, let alone anyone drinking it.

Coopers Stout, big brown bottles. Second isle at the back, middle glass door fridge, third shelf, right side of the fridge. If that's empty then the cool room is a sure.

bkmad said:
I've been picking up the occasional 4 pack of Adnams Ghost Ship pale ale. 4 pints for $14 at dans isn't bad and its a nice drop.
$10 four packs for D. Murphys members atm.

Twofiddy a pint? Yes please.

Temple's Anytime Ale is what I reach for, when I can find it.

Originally released as Anytime IPA, its bold and brassy, and the big brother (at 4.8 ABV, I think) to the brewery's more popular mid-strength 'Bicycle Ale'.

Made here in Melbourne but hard to find in bottle shops.

Little Creatures Pale, still an all time favourite, I'll go Fat Yak if I'm feeling strapped for cash but Little creatures is a different league.

If I'm pushing the boat out, then Pirate Life IPA or even better their double IPA, just picked up some Exit IPA, a fantastic drop too.

Visited 4 pines brewery in Manly the other day while in Sydney on holiday. Sign up at the bar saying any case of their core range for $60. Not bad considering Dan Murphys sell their stout and hefe at $80 a carton. Should have got a case of their amber ale, pretty nice drop.

I used to buy Oettinger, until a German backpacker I had befriended refused to drink it.

He said the homeless people in Germany drink the stuff. I somehow can't enjoy it the same now.

It's still far better than any mass swill we produce in Australia.

The German homeless would ******* hate Australia and probably end up drinking tea

Latest posts

Back