off smell and taste !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralphstralph

Reaction score
so recently my last few brews have had this off taste and smell some worse than others but its getting me down :unsure:
its a smell thats had to explain my missis says it smells metallic. i have pulled every thing apart and cleaned very well including all taps. my thoughts now is either its coming from the wort chiller/the blue bunnings fermenter ive had for a while or it the water i do run a garden hose out to my brew house so not sure if thats it ......
i was wondering if there is any members on here from WA that would be interested in me sending them a bottle so they could try it and try find out what this taste is?

thanks guys :D

I bet it's the garden hose. Do two things, 1) have a drink out the hose to test the taste 2) fill a glass from the hose and leave it to settle for a day or so and then taste.
Hope it helps, cheers

will do thanks i do attach a water filter to the end of the hose this should get out unwanted tastes right ?

No just don't use the hose. Get a food rated hose from hardware store or find a different water source (taps and pipes are also potential culprits but start with the hose).

I have a keg that has that is Un drinkable that has that flavour. I did a double batch and used two different yeasts. 1056 new and the other was a rinsed california super yeast (bad batch).
I think I under pitched in the bad batch or stuffed up the rinse.
Anyway it might also be worth considering what yeast you are using and the pitch rate.

ralphstralph said:
so recently my last few brews have had this off taste and smell some worse than others but its getting me down :unsure:
its a smell thats had to explain my missis says it smells metallic. i have pulled every thing apart and cleaned very well including all taps. my thoughts now is either its coming from the wort chiller/the blue bunnings fermenter ive had for a while or it the water i do run a garden hose out to my brew house so not sure if thats it ......
i was wondering if there is any members on here from WA that would be interested in me sending them a bottle so they could try it and try find out what this taste is?

thanks guys :D
I assume that you are AG or Extract brewing (based on your use of a wort chiller) but any organic nasties that may be in the garden hose would likely be killed off during the boil. Also assuming that your sanitation post-boil is good enough i don't think that it is the garden hose.

I've done nearly all my brews by using water from the hose and i've never had a metallic or off smells/flavours. I also use the blue container from bunnings as my fermenter and also have never had any issues with flavours or smells coming out of it.

My guess would be that it could be the yeast? If you are under pitching (or possibly over-pitching) the recommended amount of yeast .... and/or not effective temperature control during fermentation.

Other than bad sanitation, this would be the next likely point of introducing strong smells/flavours into your beer.

Another possibility is if your town water supply is bad? Can you drink it without filtering/treating? This is unlikely but another possible source, that or the wort chiller itself?

It took me ages to figure out why the water in our camper trailer tank tasted so bad until a grey nomad pointed out it was the Garden Hose I was filling with. Green no good. If you need the hose go get a white/clear food grade one

hey guys sorri ive been away for a while . cheers for all your replies .. :D

yeah i am a ag brewer snippets yeah yeast was my other thought im very carefull with the temperature that i pitch at and my fermentation chamber temp control is all calibrated and correct but yeah there still could be something that im missing i just hope that i find out soon

for my next batch i will be buying in water just to see if its the water ( water tastes fine out of the tap tho )
but im reaching a dead end i will report my findings :p

Latest posts

Back