Oettinger Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='499772' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:52 AM']I almost regret ever trying (good) German beer..I remember the days when V.B tasted pretty bloody good. :p[/quote]
RackEmUp you wont believe it, Im surrounded by good beers, but when Im over in Australia, I love to drink XXXX, wished could get it here :p

I am just amazed that the only German beers you see in Australia are the worst eg. Bitburger, Oettinger, etc

[/quote]

who died and made you judge of what's worst?

RackEmUp you wont believe it, Im surrounded by good beers, but when Im over in Australia, I love to drink XXXX, wished could get it here :p

I will swap you for a case of Kstritzer Schwarzbier!

I am just amazed that the only German beers you see in Australia are the worst eg. Bitburger, Oettinger, etc

who died and made you judge of what's worst?

My tastebuds dictate to my brain, i can't help it :D

BWS currently has 5L kegs of Bitburger for $15... who could say no???

Had some oettinger today and thought it was quite nice (and cheap).

daniel

On the very odd occasion I'm in Germany (usually passing through to avoid the French toll roads cheap ******* I am) I always head for the supermarket or even just the small Spar corner store and grab a few 500s at random. It's like a gourmet beer tasting session, well it's to be expected from a nation that rides around in Mercs and Audis I suppose. It would be great if we could get a lot more local product here but it's a case of beer miles etc etc and we can only hope to get the megabreweries products so we miss out on the taste treats available there. Good example is the former Yugoslavia. Bloody beautiful beers but we are unlikely ever to see them here. So we get the lowest common denominators.

On the very odd occasion I'm in Germany (usually passing through to avoid the French toll roads cheap ******* I am) I always head for the supermarket or even just the small Spar corner store and grab a few 500s at random. It's like a gourmet beer tasting session, well it's to be expected from a nation that rides around in Mercs and Audis I suppose. It would be great if we could get a lot more local product here but it's a case of beer miles etc etc and we can only hope to get the megabreweries products so we miss out on the taste treats available there. Good example is the former Yugoslavia. Bloody beautiful beers but we are unlikely ever to see them here. So we get the lowest common denominators.
I also got that impression whilst in Germany.
Huge number of different beers seem to be available from the corner stores. Though it seems for the most part (as is the way these days) they were mostly just pale lagers of sorts, but it's good to see how many different brands you get from place to place.

And as for $27 cases of Oettninger. Bloody good price. Even if it's just beer you keep in your fridge if unadventurous beer swilling mates swing by, and then you can offer them "a beer", as opposed to your latest Imperial Oak-Aged American Brown Ale off tap.
And plus...they come in quite good brown 330ml crownseal bottles!

On the way home from Caboolture today I spotted that the bottle shop at Ningi has turned into a BWS so I zoomed in to see what the Oettinger was worth.. $30 a carton, so I grabbed one. I'm right out of light beer at the moment and if I have to drink another stout, Hunter Old or dark mild I'll stamp my feet and thkweam and thkweam and thkweam :blink: , so looking forward to a few cold ones this afternoon

[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='499757' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:29 PM']I am just amazed that the only German beers you see in Australia are the worst eg. Bitburger, Oettinger, etc[/quote]

Bitburger isn't that bad. Oettinger is more drinkable than some locally brewed stuff.

Lowenbrau is good value when you can get it for $40 a case. Konig, Furstenberg, etc. I don't think we can say we don't have a good choice of cheap imports.

Of course it'd be nice to see the big distro's get something a bit more tasty like Ayinger, Paulaner etc but they have to make a choice and it all depends really.

Interesting side note (or not!), I was drinking a couple of tubes of Oettninger Pils the other day and rolled the can over to read the back. Funnily, i noted the ingredients listed "hopsextract", I assume this is a typo and they mean "hops extract", or is this the magical mystery ingredient for making truely 'sexy' beer? :eek:

Cheers SJ

I buy the odd carton of Oettinger when supplies run low. Ive noticed that its rare to find one that is more than a month before its best before date. I suspect that is why they are so cheap here: the brewery is probably dumping old stock here via woolworths, probably below cost.

Its still a decent enough drop for the price, but I am left wondering what Im missing out on? Anyone tried it fresh compared to the old stock we get?

Mine's got till the middle of March next year on it. I'll drink some at beer o'clock and report :icon_cheers:

Oettinger is more drinkable than some locally brewed stuff.

Damn right. If given the choice between $14 a sixpack for VB or $12 for Oettinger, I know which one I'd be buying. The likes of Murrays and Little Creatures won't be feeling threatened by it, but its better than a lot of Australian beers that cost significantly more.

Interesting side note (or not!), I was drinking a couple of tubes of Oettninger Pils the other day and rolled the can over to read the back. Funnily, i noted the ingredients listed "hopsextract", I assume this is a typo and they mean "hops extract", or is this the magical mystery ingredient for making truely 'sexy' beer? :eek:

Cheers SJ

"Hop sex tract"...

A pamphlet promoting one-legged knee-tremblers?

Maybe Ive just had bad luck then!

No, I check Oettinger out every now and then if I need to 'buy in' (not too often these days thanks to the wonders of the 'double batch' :beer: ). Most of the time the best-by date is past, which makes me wonder if we are a dumping ground for beer that's past its prime. That being said, I'll take a slightly out-of-date Oettinger over a fresh Phoohey's Spew/V(ile)B(arf) etc etc. any Tag of the Woche.

As posted above, mine's mid March next year. A nice refreshing drop and at $7.50 a six pack that's almost 1980s prices.

Just bought a six pack of this at BWS for $15 6x500ml cans.

Pretty good value....2 beers at platform are $12 for less volume.

Not sure if they have a cheap carton price but for 24 x 500ml cans $60 would be OK.