Oettinger Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bumpy
My bris brewing buddy popped round tonight for a visit and brought a slab. I can detect Munich Malt and rather grassy hops ... looked up this thread and discovered that it's actually hop extract. Tastes very similar to the Bamberger litre glass n litre can on spec at Cellarbrations last year and that's got the extract in as well. Dont' mind it, it beats the crapper out of Fosters group isohop :p

Just dredging up an old thread 'cause I'm still hammering this stuff. One of my locals (in Crows Nest, Sydney) now sells it for $26.99 per case of tinnies. They seem to bring a whole heap of beers into the country themselves. Best beer in a tinnie...ever(?), top value and is my staple for camping and/or warehouse parties where I can get the whole case - in cooler bags - into my backpack B)

VB / Carlton Draft of Germany it seems ....

Reinheitsgebod. All grain. Nice hops if you don't mind the fact that it's an extract. If they can send this stuff to us at the price of local beer then Why TF can't Fosters and Lion Nathan make something of similar quality?

Well, with the ascendancy of the European Union and the incorporation of previously Communist countries such as the Czech Republic and Poland - with their huge brewing industry - into the EU there will be a flood of bloody good Pilsener style beers coming our way at a good price, so maybe Fosters Lion will just have to pull their lazy thirty percent sugar socks up.

:icon_drunk:

personaly i thing oettinger is a great beer for the price tag....shits all over most common australian beers!!! It just shows shows what a shitty beer culture we have in this country and how a cheap "average" beer is classified in Germany or evan main land europe.

keep spreading the word and we too may one day have a VB/XXXX what is as palletable as this!

I work for BWS and they import a few beers... anything with 'Imported by International Liquor Wholesalers' on the bottle is imported by Woolworths for BWS, Dans and Woolworths Liquor.

Oettinger Pils, Chang Beer, Sol, Lowenbrau, Amsterdam Mariner, Dos Equis are all imported by Woolworths in !!!BULK!!! lots hence the cheap price.

Sol for example (very similar to Corona) - We make the same profit selling 2 six packs of Sol for $25 as we do selling a carton of corona for $63. We bump up the price of the popular brands as to push our 'control brands' into the hands of cost conscious customers.

Ok I'm sorry this post didn't have much to do with the thread but it gives you an idea as to why Oettinger is so cheap.

BWS have them for $26.60 at the mo. I never tried it but for that price I grabbed a cuople of slabs and I'll sonn find out. :icon_chickcheers:

To call somebody an 'Oettinger drinker' in germany is considered an insult on par with saying a person is a 'Emu Export drinker' in Australia. Oettinger is THE worst beer you can buy in germany, from memory i think it sells for roughly 30c() per 500ml bottle, but import it to aus, say it is a german beer and flog it for extortionate prices. Just goes to show how piss poor the state of commercial beer is in this land we call home.

[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='499682' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:56 PM']To call somebody an 'Oettinger drinker' in germany is considered an insult on par with saying a person is a 'Emu Export drinker' in Australia. Oettinger is THE worst beer you can buy in germany, from memory i think it sells for roughly 30c() per 500ml bottle, but import it to aus, say it is a german beer and flog it for extortionate prices. Just goes to show how piss poor the state of commercial beer is in this land we call home.[/quote]

Its the same with anything imported mate... and even things that aren't imported. The Heineken & Becks you'll find at your average grog shop are both brewed in Australia but they still charge import prices for them.

$26.60 for a carton of beer is a great price when compared to BWS's retail price of $63 for Becks. I challenge you to find me a carton of commercially made full strength beer for under $30 these days with the exception of Carlton Cold ;)

**** ill drink anything! oettinger for $26 Sure! vAGINAL bACKWASH (VB) for free no probs! Carlton Draght at happy hour for $3 a pint!...BRING IT ON! Pasion POP....only when my girlfriend gets it....cause i dont want to look gay!
Dont get me wrong! i love a good aussie beer like coops pale ale and many european internationals....thats half the reason why i spent a year living/traveling mainland europe to learn about good beer you cant get or in hard to get in AUS. And to drink it!
All im saying is enjoy and love the good beers of the world! But when your at a pub with a bunch of blokes and you had 6 pints and a fat chick comes along and wants to do the nasty! dont say no and sit there for ever waighting for a hot chick/model to cum along, cause it might never happen! do the fat chick in the car park!!!!!!

Did that make any sence to anyone??? even im looking at it now.........

Its the same with anything imported mate... and even things that aren't imported. The Heineken & Becks you'll find at your average grog shop are both brewed in Australia but they still charge import prices for them.

$26.60 for a carton of beer is a great price when compared to BWS's retail price of $63 for Becks. I challenge you to find me a carton of commercially made full strength beer for under $30 these days with the exception of Carlton Cold ;)

I have been livin in Germany for the last couple of years and i found it very difficult to go from drinking amazing beer at VERY cheap prices to being back home and payin no less than 50 bucks just to get something that doesnt taste like water/ sht/ p.o.r. One of the main reasons why i got into hb'ing was that i couldnt bring myself to pay so much for what is essentially crap beer. I recently saw Paulaner Hefeweizen on sale at a local bottl-o for...wait for it....$90 a case! As for the Heineken and Becks you mentioned - well if thats not a textbook example of greed then i don't know what is. Bottom line is beer in australia is over priced for what you are getting, and i can't find a good reason why. ''I challenge you to find me a carton of commercially made full strength beer for under $30 these days with the exception of Carlton Cold ;) '' - Yes, it is a very sad scenario.

Since all beers here in Germany must be brewed under the "Reinheitsgebot" (purity law), there is no room to cut down the end price by using material of less quality.
The reason why ttinger beers are cheaper than others is, they have theire own distribution strategy.
No commercials in TV, no ads anywhere, no sponsorship for sports clubs etc., no contracts with any pubs or restaurants, no promotion at all.
That means, you wont find any ttinger pub or restaurant anywhere, as you may find plenty of that with other brands.

ttinger has built a very high tech, very efficient working brewery. They are running the brewery with maybe half of the staff than other breweries do.
They are going to stir up the well protected German market.

People on the street have no clue about producing beers, the most of them think the same way, if something is cheap, it must be of less quality.
But the truth is, all beers here in Germany are made of the same ingredients, there is no room for using less quality materials.
The cut down of the costs, lies somwhere else.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Zwickel, the way they brew Oettinger sounds a lot like the way Aldi supermarkets operate here in Aus. Pretty good foodstuffs but minimal staff to keep the operation going. The other technocrap they sell is another matter of course...all Chinese like nearly everything else available here in Aus...

...excise plays a fairly hefty role here, where a rotten nasty vice like beer is taxed under laws that are a hangover of our colonial beginnings...

...i believe, and am happy to be corrected by Zwickel, that under German laws beer is taxed as a foodstuff , central to the lives and cultural being of the common man...
...whereas here beer is taxed as a demonic libation , produced (originally) by a horde of filthy, untrustworthy convicts for the masses , who, are (now) considered too stupid to take responsibility for their own actions and behaviours and consumption and must have the shit taxed out of them for their own good...

...tax a food...tax a sin...which one is gonna be higher... ???

...wow...didn't know that rant was coming...

...i need a beer...

Cheers
Scott

Zwickel, the way they brew Oettinger sounds a lot like the way Aldi supermarkets operate here in Aus. Pretty good foodstuffs but minimal staff to keep the operation going. The other technocrap they sell is another matter of course...all Chinese like nearly everything else available here in Aus...
yeah, Aldi is a very mighty discounter chain over here in G.
The beers you can buy at Aldi is the same beer you may buy as a premium beer under another brand name, just for paying more money.
Aldi has made contracts with breweries to brew beers just under Aldis house brand name, its all the same beer as the premium beer of the big companies.

That way, the big breweries are all bitches ;)

Since all beers here in Germany must be brewed under the "Reinheitsgebot" (purity law), there is no room to cut down the end price by using material of less quality.
The reason why ttinger beers are cheaper than others is, they have theire own distribution strategy.
No commercials in TV, no ads anywhere, no sponsorship for sports clubs etc., no contracts with any pubs or restaurants, no promotion at all.
That means, you wont find any ttinger pub or restaurant anywhere, as you may find plenty of that with other brands.

ttinger has built a very high tech, very efficient working brewery. They are running the brewery with maybe half of the staff than other breweries do.
They are going to stir up the well protected German market.

People on the street have no clue about producing beers, the most of them think the same way, if something is cheap, it must be of less quality.
But the truth is, all beers here in Germany are made of the same ingredients, there is no room for using less quality materials.
The cut down of the costs, lies somwhere else.

All beer in Germany may follow the reinheitsgebot and they may use all the same ingredients but they sure don't taste all the same. Sure you could say that if something is cheap then it isn't necessarily of lower quality but the statistics prove otherwise. Go buy a block of Tasmanian Bitter (30 cans for $29.99, bargain!) and try too keep a straight face after your first sip.

I am just amazed that the only German beers you see in Australia are the worst eg. Bitburger, Oettinger, etc

Where are the Kostritzer's, Schofferhoffer's, Paulaner's, Franziskaner's ?? is there a conspiracy to only import the worst Germany has to offer?? perhaps to make Aussie beer look better on a global scale, Who knows..

I just happen to be having an Oettinger after a hard day painting ceilings (what a bitch of a job). It's a good beer, at a good price - enough said.

At the end of the day if you find Oettinger Pils drinkable, $26.60 for a carton is a bloody good price when you consider how much other beers are. It doesn't matter if it's the German version of Export. Its kind of sad that the worst German beer (as some have called it) is better than the best Aussie commercial brew (with the exception of craft).

Bold statement? :huh:

we could endless dicuss about the quality of beers, the same way you could discuss how to make the best chicken soup.
Of course there is an endless number of recipes.

At last I would say, if the taste of the beer matches to your palate, go for it.

Prost :party:

I almost regret ever trying (good) German beer..I remember the days when V.B tasted pretty bloody good. :p