Oettinger Pils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoloop

Reaction score
Picked up a case of Oettinger Pils in tinnies for $27.95 from a local bottlo the other night. Considering my purchase decision was based as much on price as curiosity, I was pleasantly surprised by just how drinkable it is.

At this price it's the perfect throwdown beer. A respectable 4.7%abv, lightly carbonated classic german pilsner, with hints of malt sweetness and a nice noble bitterness. The beers were in date and without even a hint of stale-cardboard!

By no means a special beer, but certainly streets ahead of anything else at this price.... I'd definitely buy it again...

...and no risk of buying a skunked beer!

I've had Oettinger before, its so cheap and a nice refresher.

Still $29.95 at Dan Murphys. What a bloody good price and a nice beer. Ive been through a few cases of this during my couple of months off brewing. Why would you pay $40.00 odd for a case of the VB, Carlton etc?

Cheers
Steve

Would have to say we have knocked off a few cases of this stuff aswell. Good for the price,

I had some lately too. I suppose its alright for the price you pay.
It has however had quite a bad reputation in Germany as being a crap beer (probably comparable to Fosters here in Australia) since it used to be the cheapest beer in the supermarket for quite a while. So thats what the average alcoholic was drinking. And they used to sell in cans which have got a cheap and bad reputation as well and still do. I think that Oettingers image has changed a bit lately and from memory they actually have quite a good Hefeweizen. Their beer is still cheap with 5 Euros for a crate of 20 0.5liter bottles but you can get cheaper ones these days as well.

I reckon the 5.7% alc is a bit questionable though?

The bottled version is very good value for money as far as i'm concerned.
Drinkable, cheap, a decent brown 330ml crownseal bottles. Ideal for the homebrewer! :D

im a great fan of this stuff, simply as a quaffer beer.

when you cant be bothered taking long necks of homebrew to mates places (then mainly having to worry about the bottles) its no problems to pick up a carton of this for < $30 and it goes down a treat.

sure its not close to the best german pils on the market, but the price is the winner here. our megaswill cant hold a candle to it, and usually costs at least $10 more

Thumbs up for this beer. Even though it uses hop extract, it still isn't a harsh hop character and there is a tasty malt flavour. For $30 a slab a great buy. Tested out well as a good session beer when i knocked back 12 after golf yesterday.

just grabbed a slab this morning, not bad for a cheapie, best part though, I got definite confirmation that Murphys is coming to Bundy B)

cheers

Didn't have tinnies at my local Dan's. They only had slabs of 330ml bottles, still not too bad a buy. Reminds me of Aldi's beer, Thuringer, that came in a slab of 500ml cans for $40.. and is discontinued now.

just grabbed a slab this morning, not bad for a cheapie, best part though, I got definite confirmation that Murphys is coming to Bundy B)

cheers

Funny hey, just spent a week Camping in Bargara and was very suprised how they have everything in Bundaberg but no Dan Murphys or the like. :unsure:

I heard from another Forum member a little while back that First Choice Liquor was going into Bundaberg, same company, Dans will do well in Bundaberg, a little slow to start here in Hervey Bay but seems to be doing well now.. I dont think it took off well as the Drive through dissappeared with the old Liqour Barn and people were to lazy to get out of the Car..

Damn good drop for the price. Tried in in Melbourne last year or the year before. If your on a budget and cant afford the DAB, Hansa Pils etc this is the one.

$55.00 for two cases 330cl bottles here on special at BWS so should be the same elsewhere.

No food on the Supermarket shelves this morning so had to waste the money on something. :rolleyes:

When i was in berlin i got a 20 tallies of this beer for 5 euro's ( 10 bucks ) , Pretty decent stuff, and dirt cheap over there.

I think from memory you get 1.20 back if you return the crate.

Out of HB again :(
This is my usual replacement - grabbed one this morning $29.95 a slab
Cheers
Steve

When i was in berlin i got a 20 tallies of this beer for 5 euro's ( 10 bucks ) , Pretty decent stuff, and dirt cheap over there.

I think from memory you get 1.20 back if you return the crate.

Thats right. But I never used to drink that back in Bavaria. Spend an extra 10-15 Dollar and you get the same amount of Schneider Weisse, Weihenstephan, Paulaner, Weltenburger, Gutmann, Riedenburger - you name it!
Definitly worth spending the extra 10 bucks for a really good drop.

its kinda the German mega swill.
It is too!
Its the biggest selling brand in germany - look here.
Its brewed to the german purity law and even though mega swill quite decent.
Definitly the best value import I think.