Octoberfest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katherine

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has started brewing there Octoberfest beer...? :icon_chickcheers:

Just wondering if anybody has started brewing there Octoberfest beer...? :icon_chickcheers:

Very shortly Katie, have a helles to do first and then dump an Occy onto the yeast cake

Rook

I have a cube of vienna and octoberfest waiting in the wings ATM. Just need to rack an APA and IPA to kegs tonight to free up the ferment fridge. Problem is a few of us lads are off to the Indy/GP car race in October and I need to brew more beers for the event so I am a little hesitant in tying up the ferment fridge for 6 weeks. Man I need another fridge ASAP.

Cheers

Chappo

Brewed mine a fortnight ago. Its lagering now.

Its always the first of my lagers to go on. I'll be doing a north german lager this weekend than a chech pils soon after that. Should keep me going for most of the warmer months. If not I'll whip up a quick heffe.

anyone got a solid occy recipe they want to share? katie, rookstar?

Just put one in for lagering last Sunday.

32% Pilsner
64% Munich I
2.4% Cara Amber
1.6% Carafa 1

26.1 EBC
1.052 OG
WY 2206 Bavarian Lager

Hopped with Home grown Hersbrucker to 28IBU (hopefully? :unsure: )

Cheers,
BB

got mine done KT. drinking very nicely. its one of the bottles im going to send over to you. recipe in my link *hunt for brown October). its an extract so not much use to you.

FWIW, mine got rave reviews from everyone who tried it last year...

47% Pils malt (JWM)
47% light munich (JWM)
5% Carra Hel (JWM)
1% Choc just for colour (JWM)

Protein rest at 50c for 20 mins
Mash at 66 for 60 min.

18IBU of northern brewer
25g Hallertau at 20 mins. (adds an extra 8IBU for a total of 26)

Efficiency 83% for an OG of 1.054

Brewed at 12c with WLP830. Finished at 1.010.

This year I forgot to buy hallertau so I ended up using some spare tetnang instead. Seems to have come up pretty well.

Cheers
Dave

anyone got a solid occy recipe they want to share? katie, rookstar?

I was hoping to get one out of this thread, and yes I know theres plenty of occy threads going... but I started one anyway.

got mine done KT. drinking very nicely. its one of the bottles im going to send over to you. recipe in my link *hunt for brown October). its an extract so not much use to you.

Look forward to it... I saw the recipe! I have yours and the rooks beer safely in the fridge in bottles before the kegs blew! We are aiming to have 6 beers on tap by October. Just kegged our pilsner its quite nice!

If I brew a mazen or a helles, munich dunkel is that considered a Octoberfest?

Unfortunately not, getting my new control case working took longer than expected and then the upcoming VicBrew 2009 has more of my attention. I had planned on a vienna, but with being away in the US (purchasing craft beer and equipment for kirem's brewery) for two weeks really screwed with the planning.

got a maibock ready to rack into keg, that will do me for an october beer.

Here you go Fents

Bloody fantastic

Occy.JPG

Rook

Done and brewed in March, Lagered at 2C until October.

This is what i do every year, turns out great. Just have to keep back temptation to put it on tap earlier.

I do bottle a couple to make sure that it is going alright over the long lagering period.

Kleiny

I've kegged 4 brews for my Ofest party at the end of September:

Lager, kegged 18/7/09
Oktoberfest, kegged 18/7/09
Munich Dunkel, kegged 6/8/09
Helles, kegged 6/8/09

Still planning another two for the event, most likely a Kosch and Altbier which I hope to put down in the next few weeks.

For the record, my Oktoberfest recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.23 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 48.15 %
1.24 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 26.85 %
0.86 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 18.52 %
0.17 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.70 %
0.09 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 1.85 %
0.04 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 0.93 %
24.00 gm Northern Brewer [7.60 %] (60 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
15.00 gm Tettnang [4.90 %] (15 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager

IMG_5017_1.jpg

I've kegged 4 brews for my Ofest party at the end of September:

Lager, kegged 18/7/09
Oktoberfest, kegged 18/7/09
Munich Dunkel, kegged 6/8/09
Helles, kegged 6/8/09

Still planning another two for the event, most likely a Kosch and Altbier which I hope to put down in the next few weeks.

For the record, my Oktoberfest recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.23 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 48.15 %
1.24 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 26.85 %
0.86 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 18.52 %
0.17 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.70 %
0.09 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 1.85 %
0.04 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 0.93 %
24.00 gm Northern Brewer [7.60 %] (60 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
15.00 gm Tettnang [4.90 %] (15 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager

View attachment 30071

cheers that looks yummy!

Cliffo - a few shades darker (ie ultra dark red/almost brown) was what i was hoping for with my hunt for brown october. if i had the lighter ingredients to make your colour thats what i wanted. I will be doing a hunt for red october version at some stage.

your additon of Acidulated malt is interesting.

Could I lager in the keg at the 2C? Can't really fit a fermenter in the chesty if there's other beers in there and don't want to tie up the ferment fridge for extended periods.

I've found Wyeast 2308 a really nice yeast for this style - it might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back