Oak In Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanO

Reaction score
I've just got back into home brewing after a couple of years off, and am making a Dark Draught (extra malt).
My question is: Do any beers use oak barrels for fermentation, and can an oak flavour in a beer be a nice flavour. I would of course be adding this flavour artificialy. I could just try it and see, but I'd rather not wreck a whole batch.

Thanks
Dan.

I've just got back into home brewing after a couple of years off, and am making a Dark Draught (extra malt).
My question is: Do any beers use oak barrels for fermentation, and can an oak flavour in a beer be a nice flavour. I would of course be adding this flavour artificialy. I could just try it and see, but I'd rather not wreck a whole batch.

Thanks
Dan.

Dan,

1st up, welcome to the forum. you'll find lots of great info & encouragement here - don't forget to edit your profile & ad your location details.

Traditionally, most beer was fermented in oak casks. Nowadays, stainless rules, but numerous beers are oaked. Some such as barley wines are aged in oak.

Why don't you bottle half the batch as standard then add oak to the rest. You can even add additional oak for the last quarter batch. What are you going to use? Oak essence from the spirit section of the brew shop? I have soaked the chips you add to DIY bourbon in vodka for a month then added 700ml to 7litres of stout. That is sensational!

good luck with the experiment

DanO

When the site is fully operations again (btw Dane v nice upgrades!!!) search for 'oak chips'. there are quite a few threds with guys talking about using oak chips in their beers and the odd comment about fermenting in oask casks.

Welcome to the forum and be prepared for it to take over your life!

Oak chips are certainly a good cheap alternative to add oak complexity to your beers.
I've used them in 5 different brews to date, ranging from an amber ale using bourbon chips, to an IPA using rum barrel chips, and even a strong cider using French oak chips.
You can use them in your primary or rack your beer off onto them for your secondary. Though its advisable to give them a boil or steep in boiling water before using them.
From experience, using 100g of chips makes a noticeable difference in 15L, depending on the style of chips you use of course. Also, the longer you leave your beer on the chips, the more flavour it tends to soak up. Best off leaving them on the chips for at least a week.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm thinking of puting oak chips (teabag style) in with the 1st fermentation. I'll let you all know how it turns out in about 3 months.

Back