NSW State Comp 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm anything else in there?
if its straight malt and sour, 17.7 straight lambic

Say I'm entering a specialty beer in category 18.7 and it's a Pomeranian Hooferschweizer (you know the famous one made once a year with genuine Lederhosen scrapings but not yet recognised by BJCP) - if I wrap an explanatory paragraph round the bottle with a rubber band, I assume that would accompany the bottle to the judging table for the judges to read so they know what to look out for?

you can but weather the judges take notice is a point.

Bribie G said:
Say I'm entering a specialty beer in category 18.7 and it's a Pomeranian Hooferschweizer (you know the famous one made once a year with genuine Lederhosen scrapings but not yet recognised by BJCP) - if I wrap an explanatory paragraph round the bottle with a rubber band, I assume that would accompany the bottle to the judging table for the judges to read so they know what to look out for?
There is an explanatory section when entering specialty beers where you put such notes.

At the judges table, I do not expect to receive the explanatory note from the Brewer. The Judges know what the base beer is e.g. Porter, and the specialty, e.g. with Chilli, or what ever.

The base beer has to be identified to the judges and its speciality. Then the beer is judged as say a Porter, and the speciality must then be in harmony with that base. So both are known at judging, but it goes on the entry form.

Brewman_ said:
At the judges table, I do not expect to receive the explanatory note from the Brewer. The Judges know what the base beer is e.g. Porter, and the specialty, e.g. with Chilli, or what ever.

The base beer has to be identified to the judges and its speciality. Then the beer is judged as say a Porter, and the speciality must then be in harmony with that base. So both are known at judging, but it goes on the entry form.
That's only true if the base beer is a listed style in the guidelines which it doesn't have to be. I would expect, as a brewer, that the judge gets the full details of the what the beer should be if it is not listed elsewhere in the guidelines.

Parks said:
That's only true if the base beer is a listed style in the guidelines which it doesn't have to be. I would expect, as a brewer, that the judge gets the full details of the what the beer should be if it is not listed elsewhere in the guidelines.
Good point.

Not sure what happens there. I am sure someone here will know.

Equally as a judge, how do you judge it without a guideline?

You can only do what you can do. If you have more info from the brewer you can use it otherwise it becomes a somewhat more subjective "is this a good beer".

we have had previously an entry which the brewer wrote his own style guidelines for. while we as the judges enjoyed the laugh on what was in there. the beer wasn't judged by them.
for sure give all the info you want but don't write your own style guide line for it.
if in doubt contact myself or stu.

Sounds like it'd either fit as a lambic (or possibly gueuze if carbonated). If not, then it'll have to be specialty.h

Have a look at the descriptions in the attached AABC styles. 17.7, 17.8 or 18.7 seem most likely.

But best to sit down and try the beer (tough work but somebody's got to do it) and compare it against what's in those style descriptions. Then use your judgement on where it could go.

View attachment AABC2014StyleGuidelines_OnePagePerStyle.pdf

My last post was in answer to Dae Tripper's post.

Dae Tripper said:
Quick question on catagories, I have a very tasty wild sour (wheat,pils base), what shoud it be judged as?

In answer to Bribie's question, if it's a style that is in existence but is not in the AABC, then having some info on there will get to the judges. It depends what it is though and we'll use our judgement on whether that is helpful to the judges or not. Certainly if you refer to the new BJCP styles that is something I'd pass on to the judges.

Could someone please fill me in on cost of entry? I'll get them to Brewman to send if I'm not too late. Thanks

Hpal said:
Could someone please fill me in on cost of entry? I'll get them to Brewman to send if I'm not too late. Thanks
$7 an entry, I think you've got until next Saturday to get them to Brewman

Yeah guys,

I need to get them here by Saturday 6th.

Cheers Steve

to all those entering please make sure you do the online entry as well please.

For multiple entries can i attach an envelope with the fees for all entries? Or do i need separate envelopes with $7 attached to each entry?

Latest posts

Back