Nsw Special Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tasted my Old ale out of secondary fermentor. Nice. Seems pretty close to what I was looking for. I hope it lasts until easter. Also have the first of my two Belgian strongs (a Kasteel Bier clone, 11%) bubbling away again after adding candi last night.

Anyone else getting their beers down now to get a bit of age on them?

cheers
Andrew.

I have had my golden strong in the bottle (and a keg :p ) for a month now....so far so good. I hope I can resist drinking them all.

That reminds me, I have to withdraw from this one. Monkeybusiness you are first reserve.

Good luck fellas.

DK

I'll get my Old Ale (London Ale) going sometime in January. The batch I'm basing it off just scored an HC (5th place) in Bathurst.

Can I put up my hand for a second reserve?

If not I'd still look forward to attending the swap day.

Cheers Jason.

After how many days did you add your candi (i'm guessing syrup) to the fermenter?

Homemade clear candy syrup. I pitched Saturday before last then added Candi on Friday night. It seems most people think around 3-4 days after fermentation starts is ideal. I was in NZ so couldnt do it any earlier. But I think it was probably about right for this brew as the gravity was still around 1.030 on friday night and the airlock was still bubbling.

Cheers
Andrew.

Can I put up my hand for a second reserve?

If not I'd still look forward to attending the swap day.

Cheers Jason.

I dont see why not - just update the Wiki and add your name to the end of the list (not sure if Chappo is still interested in first reserve position). Also, there are still some places left in the Strong Ale/Stout category so you could be in the starting lineup for that one if you wish to be.

Cheers
Andrew.

Homemade clear candy syrup. I pitched Saturday before last then added Candi on Friday night. It seems most people think around 3-4 days after fermentation starts is ideal. I was in NZ so couldnt do it any earlier. But I think it was probably about right for this brew as the gravity was still around 1.030 on friday night and the airlock was still bubbling.

Cheers
Andrew.
Got a recipe/technique/link for making this?

I made some Belgian Candi/Toffee which worked out pretty good.....added it to the boil.

I was attempting a Blonde but for some reason my effeciency went up by 15 points (67% to 82%). I might have to enter it as a Golden Strong as its now 8.5%.

Got a recipe/technique/link for making this?

I made some Belgian Candi/Toffee which worked out pretty good.....added it to the boil.

I was attempting a Blonde but for some reason my effeciency went up by 15 points (67% to 82%). I might have to enter it as a Golden Strong as its now 8.5%.

There was a link on here somewhere for making candi sugar but cant find it now. Basically boil the sugar syrup with a but of citric acid until you get the colour you want then raise the temp to hard crack temp (or something term like that). I just kept it as syrup by not raising the temp and adding a bit more boiling water.

cheers
Andrew.

That reminds me, I have to withdraw from this one. Monkeybusiness you are first reserve.

Good luck fellas.

DK

Yeeeha!

My RIS was supposed to go down two months ago but I've only just managed to brew the pre-RIS stout from which I will be using the yeast cake.

Better get crackin!

I have had things that have prevented me going all out. I am only concerned about the old, as it is the only one that needs some age.

Hi Guys,

I updated the Wiki with my entry, and noticed a spare spot in the IPA/BPA swap and three reserves. Can either Monkeybusiness, Chappo, or Syd03 update it with their name. If no one steps up I'm interested in submitting something into that one as well, just need to be sure I'm not jumping in front of someone else first.

Cheers,
Thommo.

I have done SFA so far. Brewday will be sometime over the Christmas break.

Hi Guys,

I updated the Wiki with my entry, and noticed a spare spot in the IPA/BPA swap and three reserves. Can either Monkeybusiness, Chappo, or Syd03 update it with their name. If no one steps up I'm interested in submitting something into that one as well, just need to be sure I'm not jumping in front of someone else first.

Cheers,
Thommo.

Hi Thommo,

I think MB claimed the position a few posts above but has not updated the Wiki. MB should update the wiki.

cheers
Andrew.

I think MB claimed the position a few posts above but has not updated the Wiki. MB should update the wiki.

ooh ooh ooh. wiki updated.

Just managed to put down my RIS least week. Going to go for a long secondary to avoid any possibility of bottle bombs.

Back