Nsw Special Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatgodzilla

Beer Soaked Philosopher
Reaction score
As a side issue from the normal case swap thread, if the NSW boys want to have a "special" case swap some time in 2010, what should we brew. Just thinking aloud at this stage, but we nominate either 2 or 3 different styles and you select what you want to brew. Other mobs have done it (just saw a funky brew swap in Victoria). Anyone want something along those lines ?

What to brew ? Super heavies .. AIIPAs, Imperial stouts ? Belgians .. trippels / dubbels / witbier ? What floats your boat that you'd 1. like to get in a case swap and 2. Willing to brew for a case swap ?

Do you want something immediately drinkable or something that needs to be cellared for a few month / years ?

Thoughts .. and anyone currently doing this your imput would be appreciated.

Edit : Or do other things (a) nominate the base recipe and see what differences we get (B) everyone use the same yeast © everyone uses the same hop(s)

There are a million stories in the Naked City - these aren't any of them.

Perhaps we could nominate a category from the BJCP, (or pull from a hat). So if category 10 came out you could choose to brew either a American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale or an American Brown Ale.

Now some categories are more interesting than others, but we could perhaps combine one or two of the less varied or more revolting.

Whatever, I'd be up for it.

cheers

grant

i might be in for a braggot as ive been thinking of a bloodwood honey dark braggot. it depends on whats happening at work.

Awesome idea!!!

I am in for sure.

But can I suggest if it is high gravity (which I love) that we make a call in a cool season so that people without ferment fridges can have a chance at lower fusels.

I like Grant's idea of keeping it within a category. That gives a bit of room to play but still keeps everyone in the same ballpark. Also agree with biz, we should look at aligning with the brewing season for us non-refrigerated brewers. The hard part is to pick the category that interests enough brewers to form a swap with enough leeway to ensure we get some interesting beers.

Cheers
Andrew.

I think it's a great idea, Ian. :super:

I like Grant's idea. A category that's chosen at random. Show us what you're made of and brew it. :D

Could maybe exclude some of the styles which might take some long to brew - like strong ales - or are a bit of an acquired taste - like sour beers, or even fruit beers. B)

The only issue I have with being too prescriptive is yeast

I like to have a single yeast on the go for 3 to 4 or more batches then switch to something else

I think plenty of time will be needed to make sure people can get their stuff together

As a solution possibly pick something easy for the first one eg APA / AIPA and at the same time release the style / guidelines for the next one - this'll give plenty of time to get a brew down in a not so common category

Cheers

Super heavies .. AIIPAs, Imperial stouts ? Belgians .. trippels / dubbels
All sound good to me! :icon_drool2:

I, too, like Grants idea. It really requires a fair bit discipline as a brewer to follow the BJCP guidelines for a style, but you can have alot of fun with it, particularly with hop-driven beers.
I'd be more inclined to stick with the broad catagories, like American Ale, or English Pale Ale, just so we don't end up with all the beers tasting way too similiar. And it gives those a chance to try different styles within that catagory they may not have brewed or tried before.

I'd be more inclined to stick with the broad catagories, like American Ale, or English Pale Ale, just so we don't end up with all the beers tasting way too similar.

I think those two are good. Plus Belgian and French ale?

Or go the big beer route. Nothing under 8%. :icon_drunk:

Big beer!
Big beer!

I would like to see the broad category of barley wine.

Im in. My preference would be for big beers, only restriction being a minimum abv%

I'm intrigued. Tell me more.

Would be up for a spin of the dial type brew, maybe excepting exotic yeast/brett/weird things in my fermenter.

German Lagers anyone? I've really had the Wyest 2308 rocking lately.
Fruit/Spiced Beer?

In all seriousness, I'd be up for anything. Would rather know what the category will be sooner rather than later, especially if it's big beers so I can get something going now.

In all seriousness, I'd be up for anything. Would rather know what the category will be sooner rather than later, especially if it's big beers so I can get something going now.
You are right, we should get a poll going to sort this out.
Does anyone have any other suggestions on styles they would like to see on the poll?

I'd be keen to get back into a swap, now I'm into doing more AG's.
However, I really only want to do a 1/2 case swap, if the option is available.

The big beer idea is fantastic, and keep the styles wide open. Tripels, Barleywines, 2IPA's, RIS, Doppelbocks, Fruit beers.... you brew it, I'll drink it.

Okay, let's at least get this thing rolling.

Swap to take place around Easter 2010 (April or May 2010)

It will be for heavier style beers first time around.

It will be based on a BJCP style so we have some guidelines (and at same time we can submit at the NSW Championships if we want early assessments.

It will be a random selection process until we change that idea :rolleyes:

We want a style we don't normally brew but no lambics, fruit beers or wheat beers (at least this time)

We will select a category to allow you a choice of what to brew.

We want a minimum alcohol level of 6% but not necessarily encourage imperials / super heavies.

We want something that people without temp controlled fridges can still enter

So I've struck out the most likely non starters (bound to be an argument ther somewhere, but we got to ruthless at least at the start.

Any further comments on what will be in the final selection category.

AABC 2009 Categories & Styles
1. LOW ALCOHOL (<4% ABV)
1.1 Light Australian Lager
1.2 Leichtes Weizen
1.3 Scottish Light Ale
1.4 Southern English Brown Ale
1.5 Mild Ale
1.6 English Bitter

2. PALE LAGER
2.1 Australian Lager
2.2 Australian Premium Lager
2.3 Pale Continental Lager
2.4 Munich Helles
2.5 Dortmunder

3. PILSENER
3.1 Classic American Pilsner
3.2 German Pilsner
3.3 Bohemian Pilsner

4. AMBER & DARK LAGER
4.1 Oktoberfest/Marzen
4.2 Vienna Lager
4.3 California Common Beer
4.4 North German Altbier
4.5 Munich Dunkel
4.6 Schwarzbier

5. STRONG LAGER (>6% ABV)
5.1 Strong Pale Lager
5.2 Maibock/Hellesbock
5.3 Traditional Bock
5.4 Doppelbock
5.5 Eisbock

6. PALE ALE
6.1 Cream Ale
6.2 Blonde Ale
6.3 Klsch
6.4 Belgian Pale Ale
6.5 Australian Pale Ale
6.6 English Pale Ale

7. AMERICAN PALE ALE
7.1 American Pale Ale

8. BITTER ALE
8.1 English Best Bitter
8.2 English Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB)
8.3 Dsseldorfer Altbier

9. BROWN ALE
9.1 Northern English Brown Ale
9.2 Irish Red Ale
9.3 Scottish Ale
9.4 Australian Dark/Old Ale
9.5 American Brown Ale

10. PORTER
10.1 Brown Porter
10.2 Robust Porter
10.3 Baltic Porter

11. STOUT
11.1 Dry Stout
11.2 Sweet Stout
11.3 Oatmeal Stout

12. STRONG STOUT (>6% ABV)
12.1 Australian Stout/ Foreign Extra Stout
12.2 Russian Imperial Stout

13. INDIA PALE ALE
13.1 English IPA
13.2 American IPA
13.3 Imperial IPA

14. STRONG ALE (>6% ABV)
14.1 Old Ale (English Strong Ale)
14.2 Strong Scotch Ale
14.3 English Barley wine
14.4 American Barley wine

15. BELGIAN STRONG ALE (>6% ABV)
15.1 Belgian Blond Ale
15.2 Belgian Strong Golden Ale
15.3 Tripel
15.4 Dubbel
15.5 Belgian Strong Dark Ale

16. GERMAN WHEAT & RYE BEER
16.1 Weizen/Weibier (Wheat)
16.2 Dunkel Weizen
16.3 Weizenbock
16.4 Roggenbier (Rye)

17. FARMHOUSE ALE & WILD BEER
17.1 Witbier (White)
17.2 Saison
17.3 Biere de Garde
17.4 Flanders Red Ale
17.5 Flanders Brown Ale/Ouid Bruin
17.6 Berliner Weie
17.7 Straight (unblended) Lambic
17.8 Gueuze
17.9 Fruit Lambic

18. SPECIALTY BEER
18.1 Fruit Beer
18.2 Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer
18.3 Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
18.4 Classic Rauchbier (Smoked Marzen)
18.5 Belgian Specialty Ale
18.6 Wood-aged Beer
18.7 Other Specialty

We want a minimum alcohol level of 6% but not necessarily encourage imperials / super heavies.

10. PORTER
10.1 Brown Porter

11. STOUT
11.1 Dry Stout
11.2 Sweet Stout
11.3 Oatmeal Stout

These ones are under 6% so they're out. So we could have a combined porter/stout category, IPAs, Strong ales, and Belgian strongs. And pick one of those.

But really, if we're going big, I vote that we leave it open to the brewer. :ph34r:

These ones are under 6% so they're out. So we could have a combined porter/stout category, IPAs, Strong ales, and Belgian strongs. And pick one of those.

But really, if we're going big, I vote that we leave it open to the brewer. :ph34r:

Got to be cruel to be kind.

If the choice rests in the listed styles below, do we go Stuster idea and you can pick any from the list below or would you like if we simply select a category. Have combined #12 & 13 to make roughly same styles as the next two categories

A. Either

or
13. INDIA PALE ALE
13.1 English IPA
13.2 American IPA
13.3 Imperial IPA

B.
14. STRONG ALE (>6% ABV)
14.2 Strong Scotch Ale
14.3 English Barley wine

C
15.1 Belgian Blond Ale
15.3 Tripel
15.4 Dubbel

Got to be cruel to be kind.

If the choice rests in the listed styles below, do we go Stuster idea and you can pick any from the list below or would you like if we simply select a category. Have combined #12 & 13 to make roughly same styles as the next two categories

A. Either

or
13. INDIA PALE ALE
13.1 English IPA
13.2 American IPA
13.3 Imperial IPA

B.
14. STRONG ALE (>6% ABV)
14.2 Strong Scotch Ale
14.3 English Barley wine

C
15.1 Belgian Blond Ale
15.3 Tripel
15.4 Dubbel

Or we could make it four smaller swaps (max 12-14 btls) all under the one swap umbrella - give us a bit of a challenge on bottle swapping day ;) . With plenty of notice Id probably go for 2 or 3 of those categories.

cheers
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back