Nsw Mid North Coast Recommendations - To Live

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some more good news 'Taree G'! One of our local upstart craft brewers is starting a Mid-North Coast brewers group, wittily named Beer Coasters.

You might need to book in a monthly visit to Port Mac? I am sure Warra will put you up for the night, failing that you are more than welcome to a bed at Cassa Wauchope!

Stew

A few beers coming on shortly, Wagga. Just taken out a lease on a fairly new deluxe "villa" round the corner from the Old Bar CBD - about 2/3 of what you would pay hereabouts - moving date is 18 October which suits us fine as current lease expires 25 October.

I've been in touch with Warra as well re any new club, as I mentioned to him a trip up to Port is almost the same time as it would take me to go from Bribie Island to the BABBs venue, so no drama :)
Man am I going to fish B)

A few beers coming on shortly, Wagga. Just taken out a lease on a fairly new deluxe "villa" round the corner from the Old Bar CBD - about 2/3 of what you would pay hereabouts - moving date is 18 October which suits us fine as current lease expires 25 October.

I've been in touch with Warra as well re any new club, as I mentioned to him a trip up to Port is almost the same time as it would take me to go from Bribie Island to the BABBs venue, so no drama :)
Man am I going to fish B)

Be good to welcome you properly to the Manning/Hunter valleys Mr TareeG - or should that be OldBarG ;-)

Don't forget that you are only a few hrs from the centre of the HUBS territory - please make sure that you reserve the first weekend in Nov for the Bitter & Twisted festival. Best beer related hoot in Oz.

For commercial drops in Port there is Littles plus Black Duck. Potters and Murrays are just a sip away as well.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, will be sure to look you up. November sounds like the go, where is the venue for the B&T?

Aha, Maitland - brilliant, love the place, Schooey took me round there last year and I photographed most of the Victorian Terraces in that lovely old town.

Maitland_terrace.jpg

Some more good news 'Taree G'! One of our local upstart craft brewers is starting a Mid-North Coast brewers group, wittily named Beer Coasters.

You might need to book in a monthly visit to Port Mac? I am sure Warra will put you up for the night, failing that you are more than welcome to a bed at Cassa Wauchope!

Stew
I think i'll need to make visits down to Port Mac...

speedy_gonzales.jpg

car_queensland.jpg

car_nsw.jpg

More than impressed with the $250 a year cheaper rego as well.

NSW rego - cheaper?
Are you including the CTP cost in that calculation?

Where did end up landing Bribie? I grew up in Taree.

Edit: just saw the pic on a previous page. Looks like northern end of Old Bar.

Yup Green Slip $340 in our case, rego free zip zilch if you are a pensioner - plus the $58 annual safety check.

Ended up at Old Bar - love the place, it's like Bribie was a couple of decades ago. Love the weather, was 28 in Taree, 24 here and needed a jumper in the evening.
Main problem is you have to say good morning to all the people you meet and the fecking wild birds won't shut up - all the neighbours came round to introduce themselves. A bit overwhelming really :p

Taree is a well organised civilised place with all facilities at your fingertips and everyone seems to wear shoes and look suspiciously normal, and absolutely brilliant service in all the stores I've been in compared to QLD where most shops are staffed by 15 year olds who look funny at you.

Like most rural councils with thousands of KM of roads and infrastructure but a low rates base they are in trouble with the roads and bridges, but similar throughout the country. Rob Oakenshott trying to get more of the GST directed to smaller councils. Road to Old Bar recently re-paved for about 1/3 and the remainder seems to be a previous job so it's reasonable standard nowadays.

Great service from MHB and freight around the same as Ross to Bribie so well pleased there.

Liquor stores are great compared to Bribie, JS ale in a couple of the pubs but that's it. Dan's being built shortly.

:beerbang: :beerbang:

Sad to see you go Michael but looks like you've settled in well. Don't forget your BABBs brothers....

I'll be sure to drop in for a beer if ever down that way - feel free to do the same here... I'm sure i'll have something English and yummy on the hand pump for you!

;)

Cheers!

Old bar / Taree is probably a great place to retire (I'm assuming as a pensioner?).
Not so great a place to grow up. Very few opportunities for a career, and the rednecks and natives can be a bit much - especially in Taree itself.

We spent many holidays camped on Oxley Island, not that far from Old Bar as the crow flies. That side of the area is fantastic, as an escape from the hussle bussle.

Latest posts

Back