NSW Container deposit scheme.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
Should read Scam.
I’ve read that the NSW Gov is introducing the 10 cent refund on beverage containers which has been in here in SA for some time.
Good O, hmmm, a slab contains 24 so 24x10 cents = $2.40.
So to counter act this the NSW Gov wants to whack an extra (minimum) $3.40 on to the price of a slab.
What the Gov gives with one hand they take with the other.
Cheeky *****.

The system they are introducing in NSW is bizarre. You're right, SA has had the scheme in place for near on twenty years - why try to re-invent the wheel. It works here flawlessly, they ironed out all the bugs years ago. Crazy NS Welshmen.

I believe a system were you deposit the empty into a deposit point and receive a receipt is planned, I saw this in Norway 15 + years ago were you take the empty’s to the supermarket, bung em in the hole in the wall and get a receipt that you present at the checkout, and that amount gets knocked off the total of your grocery bill.
Works beautifully over (up) there......

Containers that are not included in the Scheme and, therefore, do not qualify for a refund are

• plain milk or milk substitute containers
  • flavoured milk containers of 1 litre or more
  • pure fruit or vegetable juice containers of 1 litre or more
  • glass containers for wine and spirits
  • casks (plastic bladders in boxes) for wine and casks for water of 1 litre or more
  • sachets for wine of 250 millilitres or more
  • containers for cordials, or concentrated fruit and vegetable juices
  • registered health tonics
  • These exceptions are like those in the South Australian and Northern Territory container deposit schemes, to aid consistency.

Well that cuts me out, as I don't drink soft drinks and the vast majority of my containers are wine bottles, casks and milk bottles. As for registered health tonics, I'm an AG brewer so I make my own healthy tonics.

I believe a system were you deposit the empty into a deposit point and receive a receipt is planned, I saw this in Norway 15 + years ago were you take the empty’s to the supermarket, bung em in the hole in the wall and get a receipt that you present at the checkout, and that amount gets knocked off the total of your grocery bill.
Works beautifully over (up) there......
The Netherlands has the same system, works fine for them and the beer is cheap.

I can see a lot of beverage companies moving out of NSW with excessive charges and the scheme is using false information about what happens to containers here in Qld saying 2.4 billion and most are wasted or littered so what is happening to what we put in recycle bin .
If you do not buy in NSW you can not return and in South Australia $50,000 fine.

I can see all the other states following suit so we have a nationally consistent scheme.

Yes they all seem to be singing from the same songbook .

The system they are introducing in NSW is bizarre. You're right, SA has had the scheme in place for near on twenty years - why try to re-invent the wheel. It works here flawlessly, they ironed out all the bugs years ago. Crazy NS Welshmen.

Try 40 years. 1977

Its a tax the government gets gst and keeps all money that is payed on containers not returned.

Saw here a container hiding somewhere in the corner of the parking lot. Will become a lot of effort to bring 10 empty bottles, deposit them, get a receipt, hand it in. All for a 1 dollar discount. In Holland been in place for ages. But the cost is higher and the machines are in the store. Also there the bottles are actually reused. Not sure if that is the case here.

So are the price increases across the country though? I noticed there is a little note on the Dan Murphys website saying due to this scheme the prices will increase......I assume QLD wont have to pay more because of a NSW scheme?

A couple of real benefits here in SA and will occur elsewhere is the massive reduction in waste and waste collection. Many homeless and economically disadvantage people collect them from wherever and subsides their income a bit. The state govt and Centrelink haven’t worked out how to charge/penalise the collectors yet but.....
Consumers already penalised but I think it’s worth it.

I really dont understand why a company that sells drinks should have to pay for recycling cans. I'm also a bit lost why it would cost a small brewery $140k.
Also why can't you crush cans? what on earth do they plan on doing with them when they get them if not crush them?

but on the other hand.. i live in Vic and home brew. So good luck to you lot... :p

I can't make sense of it but so many large scale, government organised projects seem to suffer from a massive dose of stupid (nbn, insulation install and this are all fairly recent examples).

Straight out thievery, and you get to send your competitors broke in the process. The wedge is well on the way.

I can't make sense of it but so many large scale, government organised projects seem to suffer from a massive dose of stupid (nbn, insulation install and this all fairly recebt examples).

Beyond stupid mate, pure corruption and complicity.

I can see the NSW scheme working fantastically well...I mean its a government scheme so its gota work

In other news...Christoper Columbus just fell of the edge of the world

Best part is - my closest reverse vending machine is 250kms away. And I don't even live in the sticks, my LGA has 90,000+ living here. I think I might use a bit more fuel than I make back....

Latest posts

Back