NSW Container deposit scheme.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went down to the Woolies in Mayfield and they are installing one of the new container deposit banks.
Bank 1.jpg

And just because I'm a nosy bugger, I had a look in the back
Bank 2.jpg

Been talking to a couple of small producers and importers over the last couple of weeks, basically if you are Coca Cola Schweppes, Lion... it will probably work OK, if you are small and work for a living they have your nuts in a vice.
I hear that they have already put the price per bar code up or are planning to.
Mark

The container deposit banks are turning into tips with all the waste left after they recycle there containers and dump what does not go into machines so they are going to put rubbish bins these bins could be a good place to get rid of excess waste like prawn shells disposable nappies but would need to get there early before they are full.

Mark

The government does not issuse the bar codes. They are issued by entities in a similar way you get web domain name

The problem is when you have you change the barcode to suit the recycling scheme, and that cost money to register a new barcode and change the printing on the product

Yes I know, at present its $80 (and according to people doing the job a couple of hours work) per Label so even if a small brewery who made 6 beers and bottled then all in the same bottles they would have to buy 6 of $80 barcodes ($480). Just because some say Pale Ale and some say Stout
I was talking to my mate Jason at IBC, over a year he has over 150 beers so up for something like $12,000 just in fees and call it a couple of hundred man hours (on a 40 hour week - 5 working weeks - 1/10 of a working year).

Seriously disadvantaging small businesses, and the smaller the higher the impost.
I would think that for small distributers a generic barcode that covers each of their say amber, green, flint bottles, cans... call it half a dozen barcodes, just so they get sorted into the right bins might be a really good idea.
This crapola has been sponsored by a Liberal state government that is apparently all for small business - sounds to me like they are all for sticking it up small business.

I'm a big supporter of sensible recycling schemes and have been a fan of the SA model for years, this one is just bureaucratic nonsense thought up by the big end of town, I doubt they missed the impact on smaller competitors. Having seen the games some of these corps play when a small brewery gets a tap on at a pub, well think about it.
Mark

So IBC, for example has to recode (or pay for same) all the beers they stock, even though a good whack of those will be going outside the state and therefore recycled elsewhere?
And J & A will have no choice but to jack up the currently incredibly well priced six pack they send out each month to recuperate?

I don't want to be selfish but that really makes me hate this scheme.

Jason said it would be cheaper for him not to retail in NSW - so you will still get looked after, as you would expect.
Shame you live so far away - Christmas Drinks on Saturday at IBC were well.... how about debilitating.

I have spent half an hour today on the phone with the EPA here in NSW, after that they agreed that they couldn't answer some of my questions I'm waiting a return call from a policy officer.
One other point I am trying to clarify.
It looks like members of the "Industry Counsel" that was assembled to put this crap together will be able to look at the figures - to improve the scheme of course.
Just great, the big boys (it think its Lion, CUB, Coke, Schweppes and Coopers + some others) will be able to tell exactly how many any of the growing small players are selling, would be really handy information if your thinking of picking up a couple of craft breweries so you can bugger them to!

I'm getting pretty ticked off about how this has been put together, will keep chasing the EPA, and try to get an appointment with my local member - at a minimum its uncompetitive behaviour, at worst potentially very open to corruption - we have has enough of that here in NSW.

Guys if you care about good beer - make a noise, at least ask your local craft brewery if there is anyone you can bug.
Mark

Just went down to the Woolies in Mayfield and they are installing one of the new container deposit banks.
View attachment 110511
And just because I'm a nosy bugger, I had a look in the back
View attachment 110512
Been talking to a couple of small producers and importers over the last couple of weeks, basically if you are Coca Cola Schweppes, Lion... it will probably work OK, if you are small and work for a living they have your nuts in a vice.
Mark
I just can’t believe that shit. As already stated why wouldn’t you copy the SA system that works, works well, is proven success without any inconvenience to anyone and employs people?

Yep Grott.
Polly Latin for many, Tick a small mindless blood sucking parasite... (adapted from
Larry Hardiman)
I'm a bit baffled to, would have thought SA would be a good model - been working and from all reports well for a hell of a long time (1977, 40 years) should be thoroughly debugged by now.
I can see the barcode scanning automated bins having all sorts off problems, not to mention the dumping of rubbish that the recycler rejects (see
wynnum1 above) - seriously I think it's heading for a Cluster **** (On of Americas better contributions to English)

I just can’t believe that shit. As already stated why wouldn’t you copy the SA system that works, works well, is proven success without any inconvenience to anyone and employs people?

....jeezuz Grott...you cant be so silly as to not recognise that the SA model doesnt allow for the Libs business buddies to make money out of it like they will with this awesomely fantastic well though out plan ( planned by big business for big business )

How does this get through as easily as it has when there is so clearly conflict of interest at the very least....corruption being so oibvious.

Jason said it would be cheaper for him not to retail in NSW - so you will still get looked after, as you would expect.
Shame you live so far away - Christmas Drinks on Saturday at IBC were well.... how about debilitating.

I have spent half an hour today on the phone with the EPA here in NSW, after that they agreed that they couldn't answer some of my questions I'm waiting a return call from a policy officer.
One other point I am trying to clarify.
It looks like members of the "Industry Counsel" that was assembled to put this crap together will be able to look at the figures - to improve the scheme of course.
Just great, the big boys (it think its Lion, CUB, Coke, Schweppes and Coopers + some others) will be able to tell exactly how many any of the growing small players are selling, would be really handy information if your thinking of picking up a couple of craft breweries so you can bugger them to!

I'm getting pretty ticked off about how this has been put together, will keep chasing the EPA, and try to get an appointment with my local member - at a minimum its uncompetitive behaviour, at worst potentially very open to corruption - we have has enough of that here in NSW.

Guys if you care about good beer - make a noise, at least ask your local craft brewery if there is anyone you can bug.
Mark

IBC is a great example of a small, niche business that offers product otherwise unavailable, conveniently and at excellent prices and top service so if I had to carry a small increase to continue to see that happen, I would. Don't want to, but I would.

Just really scratching my head to see the perceived benefit of this scheme to most. I have a small inkling (read hope) that it may become a turkey.

Drinks with IBC sounds like it was worth missing most of Sunday.

I can see the barcode scanning automated bins having all sorts off problems, not to mention the dumping of rubbish that the recycler rejects (see wynnum1 above) - seriously I think it's heading for a Cluster **** (On of Americas better contributions to English)
Totally agree, but your government has been convinced (no doubt by some company that sold this shit) that automation will save money. Problem is, it saves at one end, but someone else has to pay (ie the stupid barcode idea). WTF. Here in SA, you take your bottles/cans etc to some low paid dudes and you won't be able to pull the old, "yeah mate, just take this bag of babies nappies and other shit with the two bottles I brought". I'm betting it won't cost in wages, what your system costs. Plus the Recycling Centres here make money in other areas of recycling. (Places alfoil hat on) ******* robots taking over the world, so some rich ******* wankers can **** over anyone to make an easy buck. (takes alfoil hat off)

....jeezuz Grott...you cant be so silly as to not recognise that the SA model doesnt allow for the Libs business buddies to make money out of it like they will with this awesomely fantastic well though out plan ( planned by big business for big business )
This is why in the last 40 years SA have only had about 5 years or so under the Liberals. Not saying Labor are good here (let's face it we are almost as poor as Tasmania!) and I am a fairly conservative voter (shakes head at polititians in general).

How does this get through as easily as it has when there is so clearly conflict of interest at the very least....corruption being so oibvious.

See my last post about the history of NSW and corruption. It goes back along way. Not saying the people are bad in NSW, but the institutions have had long and colourful histories of dodgy shit.

I feel sorry for the businesses affected by this scheme (scheme/scam sound so similar don't they) and NSW in general.

At one stage, NSW had the best police that money could buy

I reckon that Robert G. Barrett, when he wrote the Les Norton books, took on board the old saying: "The names have been changed to protect the author and guilty". And quite a few weren't changed that muchly....

I heard on brews news that this was going to be a trial thing only. I know that it's gunna do more harm than good to small business in the state but if its a trial it relies on people using the system so please New South Welshman continue to use your keen side recycling.

Putting the bins out once a week is annoying enough! It would shit me to tears having to collect up my recycling and cart it off to the nearest robot.....like I haven’t got anything better to do with my time [emoji849]

Well I was down at woolies at 0900, and to give fair credit there were a bunch of people feeding bottles into the maw.
One very entrepreneurial 12 year old had dragooned his mother into bringing his weekend bottle collection down for him - he was heading toward $50 worth of credits and a was waring a pretty self satisfied smile.
The machine appeared to be working pretty well, as we would hope on day one, apparently they had already been around this morning to empty the PET bin, and at 09:00 the can receiver wasn't - it was full to, someone had rung for a truck.

As discussed above, the single recycling bin out the front was full and fair progress on filling a couple of woolies shopping trollies with crap was being made.
Be interesting to see how it goes, questions of reliability and obviously keeping the bins inside emptied will have to be addressed.

Still got concerns about the registration process and cost.
Mark

If you get 10 cents a can would suggest that the can is worth 1 cent at the scrap dealer so who is getting the scrap aluminum.

Latest posts

Back