Nsw Ahb Xmas In July Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
n00ch said:
Shouldn't i be on that list? I count 28 name's and no me :(
[post="128924"][/post]​

Whoops, sorry mate. Old list.

Cheers.

No worries thanks fellas. At this stage my contribution will be a Mild.

Cheers

KoNG said:
ahh, that makes sense weiz.. i thought you were just using the porter as back up.
Although i am a little confused, are you counting as 2 people or are we getting 29 bottles.?
either way.. sounds good, cant wait to try the berliner.
[post="128869"][/post]​
I was planning for the extra/bonus beer, not replacing the 28th contributor. Is 29 too many? :D

The Berliner is still quite mild, like the Redoak one, and nowhere near as acidic and scary as the first one I made. Didn't I mention this b4?

DrewCarey, ur drewscary!
Some lhbs dude must have really got ur goat early in your brew career. Hope it wasn't a Mountain Goat.
I thought that I knew how to harbour a grudge, but dude, U may have serious issues.

Onya n00ch, back in the case. Were ya scared? :lol:

Seth :p

n00ch said:
No worries thanks fellas. At this stage my contribution will be a Mild.

Cheers
[post="128940"][/post]​

Good call. I have been meaning to brew a Mild for ages and just haven't gotten around to it. Great style - looking forward to it!

Back?SCARED? HA! i never left! Well maybe a tad scared til i was drunk one night and offered to be involved...

Well i must warn you i have never brewer a mild...I to have meant to brew one for some time as well T.D. but never did. Hopefully it turns out ok.

Cheers

I really want to develop a good mild recipe at some stage - I have also not yet brewed one myself. It would be a perfect keg beer for every day drinking. I guess that's why it is traditionally the working man's sessional ale in the UK.

T.D. said:
I really want to develop a good mild recipe at some stage - I have also not yet brewed one myself. It would be a perfect keg beer for every day drinking. I guess that's why it is traditionally the working man's sessional ale in the UK.
[post="129040"][/post]​

Andrewqld has a great mild recipe, i'm sure he'd share with you if you pm him.

cheers Ross

I had a hell of a time last night putting on a bitter of some sort or another. It's using Pride Plus for bittering (you need sooo little!!!!) and Nugget for flavour and aroma (interesting spicy smell reminds me a bit of Northern Brewer). Both the hops are from the 2006 Tassy harvest. I know the hops aren't exactly traditional in GB, but BJCP says any hop variety, so it might best be called an American English Pale Ale :D

I had some blockage in my tubes when sparging, remedying which caused me to dislodge the the manifold in my mini-mash tun. Correcting this meant of course a v. cloudy run-off which took ages to run bright... efficiency went out the window, which of course means more extract had to be added (still only about 30% of the fermentables, so there shouldn't be too much twang) and now 14 hours later the WLP023 Burton Ale yeast has still not kicked in :( Hopefully this brew will follow the general rule that the difficult/messy/problem brews end up tasting the best.

Final stats: OG 1.040, IBU 31.5

I am currently in the process of bottling my Boston Lager. KoNG and I had a sample out of secondary last night and I am quite happy with the way it has turned out. I'm itching to try it once its carbonated!

PoMo, as you said, your bitter will probably turn out to be a cracker - things always seem to turn out that way when it all goes wrong! Hope your yeast kicks off. Have a sachet of S-04 in waiting just in case!

My mild is boiling away at the moment. First time brewing a mild and first time using my pump... Maybe a recipe for disaster but we will wait and see.

I'll take the PoMO approach and hope for a good result!

T.D. said:
Hope your yeast kicks off. Have a sachet of S-04 in waiting just in case!
[post="129763"][/post]​

I hope it doesn't come to that. WLP023 is one of my favourite yeasts. I pitched at 22C, but it dropped overnight to 18, which is possibly too cold for this strain (Whitelabs' site says 20-22). There has been a bubble or two out the airlock, but no krausen yet. I've now wrapped the fermenter in a blanket and tucked a hot water bottle in there with it. Here's hoping. The yeast should be OK, as I put a little of the wort with the leftovers in the tube (about .5ml of yeast and 15ml of wort) and it's fermenting nicely. I'll use this to make up a couple starters for later brews.

I'm just happy all my brews don't go like this.

PostModern said:
T.D. said:
Hope your yeast kicks off. Have a sachet of S-04 in waiting just in case!
[post="129763"][/post]​

I hope it doesn't come to that. WLP023 is one of my favourite yeasts. I pitched at 22C, but it dropped overnight to 18, which is possibly too cold for this strain (Whitelabs' site says 20-22).
[post="129786"][/post]​

18C is not too cold for it in my experience, it'll take its time though. It doesn't seem to be a premature flocculator either ;)

Scott

I brewed my Irish Red for the Xmas July case yesterday.
Mash, sparge all without a hitch.
Then the first boilover I've had in a long time I was skimming but obviously not fast enough (and the NASA may have been a little rich on the gas).
The boilover blocked the jets on the NASA, so ended up with a sooty but strong boil (as well as flames coming out the air intake).
Slightly over gravity, but I used new fresh Slovenian Styrian Goldings mmmm.
Sorry to hear about your brewday PoMO. My yeast has kicked in, and I hope yours has now too.

Beers,
Doc

My Boston Lager is now bottled, labelled and ready to roll! :super:

Its a relief to have it in the bottle, knowing that there's relatively little I can do now to stuff it! :D

Of course, I have now fully jinxed myself. I await the freak event that proves that a beer can be monumentally stuffed even after it is bottled. :lol:

T.D. said:
Of course, I have now fully jinxed myself. I await the freak event that proves that a beer can be monumentally stuffed even after it is bottled.
[post="129824"][/post]​

:lol: :lol:

Looking forward to hearing about this event TD. :lol:

Damn. 24 hours and no foam. I'm alert but not alarmed. Did some reading and apparently long lag times followed by attempts to climb out of the fermenter are common with Burt (my new nickname for my house yeast to be). The hot water bottles have gotten the fermenter up to 21C now. It's just a matter of waiting patiently.

PostModern said:
Damn. 24 hours and no foam. I'm alert but not alarmed. Did some reading and apparently long lag times followed by attempts to climb out of the fermenter are common with Burt (my new nickname for my house yeast to be). The hot water bottles have gotten the fermenter up to 21C now. It's just a matter of waiting patiently.
[post="129840"][/post]​

PostModern,

All I can say is be prepared. Not only will the Burton Ale yeast escape your fermenter, it will want to takeover your house. Arm yourself appropriately with bucket, water and chux.

Good luck.

Scott

I should be posting my updates to the Berliner in the Berliner thread, as it's not a "case" beer.
So I will prattle about the porter. It's quite strong-flavoured and perhaps a little robust.

Perhaps I should dry-hop. I can get hold of some fresh hops, but this isn't an advertorial, is it?
Does anyone want it dry-hopped? To me it'll make it a bit sweeter if I get some more hop aroma and flava in there.

I've allowed it to sit and lager at about 15C for the last 2 weeks. I'll bottle as soon as I get rid of my overtime lag. U know; that's the tired feeling U get after working odd hours over a weekend. Luv the work tho', so watcha gonna do, and U don't get a PC rollout at your office very often (at least not in C'link).

Just enjoying an Arrogant Mongrel - my (loosely adapated) clone. Not too bad, I reckon. Nice as a Winter Warmer.

If anyone wants me to dry-hop, please contact me by pm (no viruses please :lol: ).
Specify the hop and quantity. I will give due consideration to all suggestions, but don't forget that it's ultimately my beer. I was thinking of tossing a plug of EKG and one of Will -am-ette into the porter. Maybe a Fuggles and Will-am-ette. Should be a nice combo.

Maybe I'll bottle half and dry-hop the other half and let it be a lottery. Yeah, I might number all the bottles and then post the numbers that got the dry hop when I submit my beer. Any thoughtz...Bueller...Beuller...anyone?

BTW. PoMo, just hold your breath and lay down some towels/tarp under your fermentor.
T.D. U can make your own freak event or just let the beer mellow.

P.S. I reserve the right to change my mind at the last moment if I think that my SFTIPA (Skunk F@rt Ten Inch Pale @le) is better than the porter. Sorry to all the Paddy's Porter fans if that occurs, but my porter isn't too stimulating at the moment. How long does W1318 take to mature. Is it a quick yeast, or should I expect significant improvement between now and pickup day?

Apreciate any feedback

Sethy the computer slayer :p

*edited to move signature below the addenda. :beerbang:

I dropped the "Grumpy Scottish Stag" into the bottles tonite. Tasted really nice going in

Back