Nsw Ahb Xmas Case 2005 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
NSW AHB Xmas Case 2005 - Consumption

This is the business end of the Xmas Case. The best bit of the Xmas Case. Tucking into each brew, evaluating each sip and hopefully putting your taste buds into sensory overload.
Hopefully the Xmas Case will also give you the chance to try some beers you wouldn't have thought of brewing yourself, and also be able to provide you with a muse or two for planning your 2006 brews.

Here is the round up of entrants and their beers. Were indicated some brewers are recommending you hold onto their brew until the end of the case to allow them to condition/carbonate.
If your beer requires a little ageing/maturation and it isn't indicated please let me know so I can update the Master List.

Tim - Newcastle Brown WLP002 in the Brown ale and WLP838 Southern German Lager in the Vienna
Hopsta Belgian Golden Strong Ale will need a couple of weeks to carbonate and a further 3 months to condition and will improve with age. bottling date 21/11/05 WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale
Duff - Kolsch WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch
Doc - Kolsch No yeast. Not bottle conditioned
Stuster - Best Bitter White Labs Pacific Ale yeast, WLP041
KoNG - Summer Ale Give it another couple of weeks Wyeast belgian strong 1388
Nifty - Aussie Pale Ale Coopers Pale Ale yeast
Homebrewworld - Robust Porter Wait a week or three
Kungy - Amarillo APA
Berto - Wheat (bottled 25/11/05) WLP380
Linz - IPA Cultured coopers yeast
Redbeard - APA Another week or so for better carbonation
Beer Slayer Amber Ale Give it another week or so for carbonation
Stickler - Porter Style
PostModern - Xmas Porter/Brown Porter (Bottled 23/11/05) Wyeast 1968
berapnopod - Wit (Bottled 24/11/05) Cultured from a bottle of Hoegaarden
am - Australian Golden Ale WLP051 California Ale V
Jase - Cascade APA WLP013 London Yeast Overcarbonated. BEWARE
Gough - Sarah's Amber Ale III Wyeast 1272 American Ale II
Weizguy - Berliner/Medowie weisse Will improve with age Wyeast German ale yeast
Borret - Mild (drink closer to Xmas) DCL S-04
Shmick - Australian Strong Ale US-56 American Ale (1056)
Trent - Porter Wyeast 1084
Pint of Lager - Vienna lager WY 2278 Czech Pils

Please provide feedback on the beers as you sample them. Positive and constructive feedback is expected. Recipes can be posted, pictures of you sampling/pouring the beers would be great too.

Shmick will be the first to get the full NSW Xmas Case, so he may also be first off the rank with some tastings and feedback.

Finally a bit thankyou to the brewers who contributed, the members who were drop off points and the members who were couriers.

Prost!

Beers,
Doc

I can't wait to try all these beers.
Mine is probably one of the few "non-AG" beers here so if you're saving the best for last - get into mine early :D . Again, not as full bodied as I'd hoped so an "Old", not a porter.
Big thanks to everyone who organised this, everyone I tell about it says "bloody hell, what a great idea!".

skaal!
Stickman

I agree Stickler

Im looking forwrd to trying all these beers its good to see a good response. Considering the logistics involved!!
Come on xmas.

:beer:
Beer Slayer

PS. my amber ale could do with another week or so for carbonation

Well it's a beautiful sight in my garage at the moment with 36 cases of beer gracing the floor all sorted and ready to go. Will have to start with one or two tonight, sorry for all those who haven't got theirs yet :p

My Kolsch is ready for drinking whenever you are ready.

Cheers.

And to make you all keen to get your hands on your case here is a piccy of the complete case.
NSWXmasCase2005_002__Large_.jpg
Some great labels there entrants.

Now to decide what goes into the fridge first.

Thanks to Borrett for the extra. Thats going straight to the brauhaus. The number of times I looking for one of those out there :p

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Now to decide what goes into the fridge first.

Thanks to Borrett for the extra. Thats going straight to the brauhaus. The number of times I looking for one of those out there :p

Beers,
Doc
[post="93587"][/post]​

No Worries Doc. Thanks to you, duff and the others for your sorting and logistics services. :beer:

There's some nice labels there. All looks quite impressive.

Mouth watering for case
Borret :blink:

Looking good NSW, cannot wait until next weekend when we do ours (QLD).

Will have to post a pic of all our bottles too.

My Porter would be best at or after Christmas, but should be "drinkable" from about 10/12. I used Wyeast 1968 if anyone wants to culture it. Has a Postmodern Porter label and "PP" on the lid.

Looking forward to tucking into the case! Thanks to everyone involved in putting this together. Linz, if there are any going to be any other cases bound for the Illawarra at your place, I'd be happy to give them a lift down here when I collect mine... but I don't think there were any other ones from down here...

PostModern said:
My Porter would be best at or after Christmas, but should be "drinkable" from about 10/12. I used Wyeast 1968 if anyone wants to culture it. Has a Postmodern Porter label and "PP" on the lid.

I've put aside all the entries that need a bit of aging/conditioning in the pantry.

And I was just thinking about the yeast culturing thing, and what yeasts had been used. I'll be harvesting your yeast PoMo.

What yeast has everyone else used ?

Beers,
Doc

I just recultured your basic garden variety Coopers Pale Ale yeast.

I'm just finishing the last bot from the xmas case batch that I had extra. It's not a world shaker, but not a bad beer either..

cheers

nifty

Wow
Those bottle look great, cant wait to tuck into em. Thankfully I have some mates coming up this weekend, and should be able to get em to bring em up to me, rather than me not being able to pick em up till chrissy eve. Only problem is that means I will have to share! Maybe I will have to tell em they arent ready for drinking yet ;-)
On the yeast front, I was just using 1084, so nothing out of the ordinary there, but always a good one to culture if yer into making stouts or porters.
Big thanks to everybody for organising this swap, looks like the kinda logistical nightmare that would give me heart palpitations!
All the best
Trent

I should have added my yeast used, WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch. Fantastic stuff, usually over 80% attenuation with very clean style hop flavours.

Cheers.

Posted in the other thread, but mine was bottled 25/11/05. So probably the greenest of all brews there. Of all the wheat beers ive brewed they generally age pretty well so a bit of time shouldnt hurt it.
Also i used WLP380. Hopefully the higher ferm. temp didnt hurt it too much not being a fruity yeast.

Hey Doc,

Howcome my handwritten stick on labels weren't on show at the front of the photo?? :p THose of you who sorted their labels properly, top darts!! The bottles look great. Can't wait to pick up the case :) Couldn't get my labels sorted in time, sorry :(

Thanks to Doc and the organisers/couriers, especially Shmick from the Newcastle/CC brewers end. Top stuff fellas!

Here's to a liquid Xmas :chug: As I said in an earlier post, you can drink mine whenever you are keen. It has been in the bottle since October 24 so will get a little better perhaps, but should be drinking OK now I hope. The yeast in mine is Wyeast 1272 American Ale II.

Shawn.

Mine was also bottled a while ago, 18th October, so it's ready to go. The yeast is a bit of an unusual one, White Labs Pacific Ale yeast, WLP041. I think it's a yummy yeast. I did a taste test with it and English Ale yeast WLP002 a while ago, only with extract admittedly before I crossed over to the AG side, and the Pacific had more complexity in the taste.

The beer seems to have turned out fairly hazy. From PoL's comments a while ago, my guess is that the boil wasn't hard enough. But, I ordered a NASA burner from G&G yesterday so that will be a thing of the past. :D

Recipe is fairly simple, Maris Otter with a bit of crystal, hops were Fuggles and EKG at 60, 30 and 15. Plugs of EKG at flame out. Hope you enjoy it. :beer:

Im in Nifty's camp and cultured a coopers yeast

Sounds good Stuster :chug:

The haze could also be Maris Otter related - see the 'chill haze' thread around here somehwere... My Amber Ale is also Maris based and below about 8 degrees throws a distinct haze. As I said in the other thread I don't have haze problems with other base malts, but regularly do with Maris and am aware of several other brewers who have noticed the same thing, so maybe it wasn't your boil. Either way I'm looking forward to your beer, it sounds great ;)

Shawn.

An update for the yeast list...

I used US-56 American Ale (1056) and bottle conditioned.

Ready to drink now but will age nicely.
:chug:

Update for the yeast list:

I used WLP051 California Ale V

"From Northern California. This strain is more fruity than WLP001, and slightly more flocculant. Attenuation is lower, resulting in a fuller bodied beer than with WLP001.
Attenuation: 70-75; Flocculation: medium to high; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 66-70"

I reckon my brew is ready to drink.

Just briefly, before they come looking for me (work minders...)

I used Wyeast German ale yeast and a sour mash. There is prob no live Lactobacillus in the beer, as I boiled the wort after I added the sour mash (recipe to follow).

Very nice clean yeast and an old warrior at my place. Only 2nd or 3rd gen, but was in a bottle of beer that was 3 yr old. The yeast revived quite quickly and was sampled and pronounced clean before building the culture for this beer.

Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back