Nsw Ahb Xmas Case 2005 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Followup: Finishing the bottle now and I've got a hankering for cheese. Weird. Must be bedtime as I've finished all the cheese :p

Doc

Doc said:
Onto my last beer of the case.
Hopsta's Belgian GSA.

I've really enjoyed the beers from the case. There have been a couple that have really stood out and this is one of them.
I love my strong ales (bugger the lagers), and what better way to finish a Sunday arvo in the yard than with a Belgian GSA before bed.
A really complex ale that changes considerably as it warms up. Great raison notes on the aroma, with some higher alcohols and phenols on the taste buds. Well balanced and nice and warming. Wishing it was winter :p
Great drop.

I have to go and dig out the recipe from the Recipes topic now. Top work Hopsta.

Beers,
Doc
[post="112811"][/post]​

Thanks for the review Doc, glad you enjoyed it :) i havent gotten around to posting the recipe yet, i'll do it tonight when i get home.

For those that are interested, here is the recipe for my Belgian GSA. Its a fairly large partial mash, but its easy enough to convert it to AG you wanted to.....

Cheers,
-Hopsta :beerbang:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hopsta's Belgian GSA
Brewer: Nathan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 13.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.087 SG
Estimated Color: 15.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.20 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 48.5 %
2.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 30.3 %
0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3.0 %
0.20 kg Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC) Grain 3.0 %
77.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
21.00 gm Saaz [4.00%] (20 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
14.00 gm Saaz [4.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.1 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 kg Candi Sugar, Clear (1.0 EBC) Sugar 15.2 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Golden Ale (White Labs #WLP570) [StYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 2.40 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Saccharification Add 6.26 L of water at 77.0 C 70.0 C 40 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C 10 min

Notes:
------
After seconday ferment, rack to cube cc for 2 weeks to clear then rack to keg or bottle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopsta said:

That doesn't sound right. By my calculations, you should get something like 75IBUs from this hop addition.

Also, I didn't see anything on what your FG was (or ABV). Do you have that number available?

Berp.

berapnopod said:
Hopsta said:

That doesn't sound right. By my calculations, you should get something like 75IBUs from this hop addition.

Also, I didn't see anything on what your FG was (or ABV). Do you have that number available?

Berp.
[post="113374"][/post]​

Berapnopod, its a 13ltr boil hence the 77 grams. I have the OG and FG at home somewhere will edit my post with those details when i find them. Either way i remember it coming out at 9%.

Hopsta said:
Berapnopod, its a 13ltr boil hence the 77 grams. I have the OG and FG at home somewhere will edit my post with those details when i find them. Either way i remember it coming out at 9%.

I still get way more IBUs than you. I am assuming you put all the sugars together into the boil (13 litres). So the boil gravity should be something like 1.145. 77g of 7%AA for 60 minutes should give 92IBUs. Diluted to final volume of 23L gives 52 IBUs.

I don't remember the beer coming out too bitter, so I must be missing something out. What is it?

Berp.

Berapnopod,

Are you including loss's to trub etc in your calcs. Alot of hops left to settle in that there undiluted wort.

Failing this you'd better give beersmith a call as it's their programme that really did the calcs.....Hopsta brewed it that way and it worked so I guess...he's all right.

Brent

Berp

Promash gave me an IBU of 55 for the undiluted 13litres with a boil gravity of 1160, giving around 31IBUs for the 23 litres of 1090 wort. This seems about right to me. I think it's the poor hop utilisation at this gravity that throws out the figures.

Cheers
Stuart

Doc said:
Just cracked Weizguys' Weisse.
Sorry Weizguy, but I am a little dissapointed after the previous B Weisse I had of yours.
And just to referesh my memory I still had a stubby of your B Weisse in the yeast starter fridge I'd forgotten about.
So I did the side by side. Definitely two completely different ends of the spectrum for the same style of beer.
Did the sour mash get hotter or go for longer with the Xmas case ?
Mark also palmed me your Light Wheat the other week which I thouroughly enjoyed. Some fantastic wheat flavours in that beer. My preference (against style) is for a little more body, but that didn't stop me savouring every last drop of that baby.

What are you looking to contribute to the July case ? How about an Imperial Dunkel Weizenbock ?

Beers,
Doc
[post="112764"][/post]​

Doc,...late reply (due to lack of a home PC, ATM).

The prob with the Xmas case beer was the speise (for priming), which developed the odd flavour. It was initially boiled, then frozen, but was thawed for a little too long before the bottling was done.
Next time, I'll use a lacto culture (already started).
Yep, a lack of body is what you might expect with a light beer,...and seeing that it was my first attempt at a light wheat, I'm pleased enough. BTW, Mark didn't remember to tell me that he gave U one. Thanks for the feedback. More body next time, and a lower ferment temp too.

For the July case, I plan to make Gerard's Choc Porter, as he was kind enough to share the recipe, and it's a top beer...+ the Sour Weisse of course.

May save the IDW for another time, if that's OK, although it would be a nice Winter drinker.

Seth out :p

DrewCarey82 said:
Reading this I am so jealous I didnt get in....

Though obviously all you AG's wouldnt have been to keen on my kit and bits compared to some of the masterpeices brewed here!
[post="94453"][/post]​

Drew,

I'm happy that I didn't let this chance go by (hey, isn't that a song about Newcastle).

Kit and bits are welcome to participate, so don't hold yourself back next time.

Apart from the logistics of it all, I'm sure that we could do it more than once a year. :lol:

Seth

Hahaha didnt miss out this time, been reading this thread and its making my mouth water cant wait to see all these great beers and better still taste them.

Only thing is my labels are very plain and my missus who printed them off at work spelt Saaz - Sarz!!! oh well it will still taste the goods for u fellas.

Well it's a beautiful sight in my garage at the moment with 36 cases of beer gracing the floor all sorted and ready to go. Will have to start with one or two tonight, sorry for all those who haven't got theirs yet :p

My Kolsch is ready for drinking whenever you are ready.

Cheers.
I'm ready tonight, and so is the Kolsch. And so is my thread-reviving penchant.

I thought that I'd refer to one of Berp's early reviews, of this specific beer, for contextual support.

Berp could detect German hop aroma and some esters. The hops are still there, and the esters too. The last bit in the bottle with yeast, smells a little sulfury. Overall the beer smells great.

The beer is now only mildly hazy, and bubbles have mellowed after a couple of months in my fridge. the head seems to last longer than Berp found, too, and I have a small amoount of lacing in my glass.

As Berp realeted, the Koelsch was a little cloying and overly malty early on. There is now still a lot of malt backbone to this pale golden ale, but it's not cloying to my palate.

Carbonation is still about right. Having never tasted one in Koln (too lazy to find an umlaut), I can't say that it right or not. It tastes good to me though.

I have purchased a Reissdorf Kolsch, and this one is still fresher at about 7 months, and drinkable but perhaps a little under-attenuated; as Berp suggests. I recall that the commercial beer was a little more crisp

I have to concur with Berp here where he writes "if anyone else out there wants to know what a Koelsch tastes like, this is pretty damn close - well done Duff!"

Well done. I'll have to scout the recipe section for both yours and Doc's recipes.

Seth out :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back