Nsw Ahb Xmas Case 2005 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oohh.. and i'm keen for the July case aswell.!
Sam (cant do your tricky S..??) wont need to do the July case, he'll still have the Xmas one.! :p

Yes, I'm keen to participate in the July case as well. I was really disappointed to discover teh Xmas case concept after it was too late, but I'm definitely up for any future efforts! Does anybody know of where you can get a 25 bottle carton??? ;) :p

Just out of curiousity, who got the two Vienna's I put in?
What did they think?

T.D. said:
Yes, I'm keen to participate in the July case as well. I was really disappointed to discover teh Xmas case concept after it was too late, but I'm definitely up for any future efforts! Does anybody know of where you can get a 25 bottle carton??? ;) :p
[post="105896"][/post]​
He he...25 bottle carton? Yep, make one from timber for yourself. 5 X 5.
Have been making 6 pack holders for a while. used a cardboard unit as a template.
Apologies for O/T.

Geez, I hope I wasn't too critical or rude :D I've been told I'm too blunt sometimes, appears last night was one of those times. I haven't got any experience with Berliner Weiss, so my expectations of it were radically different to what I tasted. Maybe my case was handled differently, I dunno, but I was unable to drink Seth's beer. From reading others' comments, it is most likely my untrained palate that made it a tipper rather than an interesting change. I just couldn't get past the cheese enough to get interested in the rest of the flavours/aromas.

I didn't for a minute mean to devalue the time and effort you put into the brew, Weizguy and I apologise if I came across wrong. :ph34r:

seeing though you are a mod PoMo.. i would think it suitable you give yourself a 3 week ban...! :p

Na, we'll just refer to you as 'PoMo from Wagga' for a few months.....

Did I mention the war........

Sam (cant do your tricky S..??) wont need to do the July case, he'll still have the Xmas one.!

hehehe hopefully I would've cleaned them up by July..............but then again...............we can only wait and see!

I hope that my last post didnt make it sound as though I tipped Seths beer, cause I finished it all, and it wasnt under duress. I did find the cheese flavour a little offputting, but I have tasted it (his wiesse) before and know it to be good. Great idea, Borret, letting it sit for a week. I still have a few left to go, one of them if Tims Vienna. I didnt realise they were so rare tim! I am gonna pinch the yeast, so it may be a few more days until I get around to it, but I will post my review when I try it. Will post the rest of my reviews later tonight, gotta go get the rest of the stuff to make sushi before the boss gets home!
All the best
Trent

Hey Trent,
Yeah I only included two, as I dropped two bottles of the brown ale and had to make up the numbers. So count yourself lucky Trent!

Borret said:
Na, we'll just refer to you as 'PoMo from Wagga' for a few months.....

Did I mention the war........
[post="105914"][/post]​

Did someone say "ban"? Hmmm.

Anyway, with all due respect to Seth, I'll stick to my motto "Beer in a glass, cheese on a cracker". But I do look forward to the perfected Weiss.

PostModern said:
Anyway, with all due respect to Seth, I'll stick to my motto "Beer in a glass, cheese on a cracker". But I do look forward to the perfected Weiss.
[post="105961"][/post]​

Aaah, PoMo...Respect is a word taken too lightly these days. But I believe you are genuine on this.
I certainly respect your opinion, and probably would have done the same to that beer (down the sink), had I not tasted (and enjoyed) my first batch. The beer was odd, and I admire anyone with the determination to get through it. It will be the last one in my Xmas case that I will drink, hoping it gets better, but I reckon there are 2 chances (ha ha). :unsure:

Well done, PoMo. I asked for feedback, and you were on the ball, providing it. ;)

Thanks to those who defended my beer, too. At this stage, I'm happy to declare the beer "wrong", and (at least) close to "undrinkable", if that makes anyone else feel better about being unable to consume it.
If my first sample of Weisse was like that batch, I wouldn't have consumed it. Scary stuff. And I wouldn't have made a second batch for the Xmas case. Here's hoping for third time lucky. Think I'll make a lacto cuture this time, instead of a sour mash, and start the batch in plenty of time to "Quality Assure" it before I unleash it on the case-sters. Some may still not like it...

So, is it difficult to make cheese at home? :lol: :lol:

Seth out

i had SHMICKS Aus Strong Ale last night....
on first pour there was quite an alcohol aroma, which was also quite evident on first sip... very warming, maybe a little over powering.
myself and Miss KoNG both had a glass and it just so happened we only got a chance for a sip or 2 before our laksa was ready.
i dont drink beer very often with my dinner (except when ata restuarant and the meal would go well with whats on offer)
so anyway.... the beer was picked back up after consuming the laksa.
the beer had transformed for both of us after sitting and warming a little. i was a little aprehensive earlier on... but after dinner i enjoyed it much so.
the end
(nice little bed time story) :D

Cheers
KoNG

Well
I have finished my xmas case now, all bar Hopsta's GSA, but I think I will leave that one a little longer, more time cant hurt it, I believe I heard a few comments that it would get better with age? Anyway, here are my last few reviews

STICKLERS OLD - Slightly overcarbed on first pour, very dark colour. First sip tasted kinda metallic to me, for what reason though, I couldnt say. Nice body and mouthfeel to it. It tastes like it has a bit of roast barley in it, which I rarely use as I dont really like the flavour it imparts :eek: . Apart from not quite being my cup of tea, I think that it is quite a good example of the "old" style (as in tooheys old, not Old Ale)

POL's VIENNA - Quite a lovely pourer. Nice amber colour, a little bit hazy. Quite malty and sweet up front and quite a firm bitterness. I think I could detect a bit of hop flavour in there, but little to no aroma. I have only had Negra Modelo to compare it to in style, so it is much paler than I was expecting from a vienna, but still a very nice beer. Well done.

BERTO'S WHEAT - Amber in colour, darker than I would expect for a wheat. Low head, but plenty of carbonation. Slightly astringent (?) nose, translates into a sour flavour in the beer that says "low level infection" to me, but I am not very well versed in wheat beers, so it could be the intended flavour. I know that some wheats are sour, so maybe this flavour is from lactobacillus, or something like that? Low-med body, and could be a very refreshing beer, but I had trouble getting past the sour flavour enough to fully enjoy the beer. I am assuming that was the intended flavour, though, as it certainly wasnt as overpowering as I would expect an infection to be

DUFF'S KOLSCH - Pale in colour, chill haze obvious. Good carbonation, nice pillowy head, fruity kinda nose. Very sweet and malty on the palate, but a very faint fruitiness (but I could be wrong). This is a very tasty beer and I am quite impressed with it.

TIM'S VIENNA - Low to medium carbonation, pale amber colour, and absolutely crystal clear. The clearest homebrew I think that I have ever come across, I can read my notes right through it! Very little to no hop aroma. Malty flavour with a reasonably firm bitterness, and some sort of bite that COULD be carbonation bite, but I am not sure, it feels tingly on the tongue and throat though. As with POL's effort, alot paler than Negra Modelo, but still quite nice. I dont know the style well enough to offer much advice, but for mine (and it is only my opinion), and would aim for a slightly higher FG for some more sweetness in there, though that could be out of style. Great beer to try though, thanks for sharing it.

STUSTER'S BITTER - Nice amber colour, with some chill haze. Good carbonation. Nice hop aroma, good firm bitterness and a good hop flavour. Nice clean yeast, it allows the malt and hops to both shine through, I thought this was an excellent beer, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the xmas case swap, and ESPECIALLY to those that organised it, did the "ferrying" and for the extra's. I cant wait for the next case swap, though we may have to start doing 2 cases of stubbies, cause it seems there are probably at least the same amount again that will want to be in the next one :beerbang:
All the best
Trent

You mean 4 cases of stubbies Trent.

Right you are, berto. Lucky I am not the one doing the organising, eh?
All the best
Trent

Trent,

At the moment, no one has put their hand up for the job.
I'd be happy to nominate you, if you can coordinate from your remote location. :lol:

Seth

Seth,
I dont think I could organise an orgy in a brothel with a fist full of hundreds, so I dunno how I would go getting something as important as beer to the right people :eek: ! And I was thinking, I DID mean 2 cartons of stubbies, 48 brewers, one stubby from each brewer, though it is a little too little maybe. I just figured that with all the interest after the last case swap was done, I would be surprised if there werent 48 brewers wanting to get in on the next one. So it will probably be either 2 seperate case swaps going, or go to stubbies, cause I think that 4 cases per person would be a little too much to ask the organisers and ferriers to do. Besides, most batches only go about 2-2 1/2 cases, so if we were all gonna get the same beer, we'd have to halve our portions. Not the best idea, I suppose (less beer), but an idea none the less.
I'll shut up now
Trent

Just cracked Weizguys' Weisse.
Sorry Weizguy, but I am a little dissapointed after the previous B Weisse I had of yours.
And just to referesh my memory I still had a stubby of your B Weisse in the yeast starter fridge I'd forgotten about.
So I did the side by side. Definitely two completely different ends of the spectrum for the same style of beer.
Did the sour mash get hotter or go for longer with the Xmas case ?
Mark also palmed me your Light Wheat the other week which I thouroughly enjoyed. Some fantastic wheat flavours in that beer. My preference (against style) is for a little more body, but that didn't stop me savouring every last drop of that baby.

What are you looking to contribute to the July case ? How about an Imperial Dunkel Weizenbock ?

Beers,
Doc

Onto my last beer of the case.
Hopsta's Belgian GSA.

I've really enjoyed the beers from the case. There have been a couple that have really stood out and this is one of them.
I love my strong ales (bugger the lagers), and what better way to finish a Sunday arvo in the yard than with a Belgian GSA before bed.
A really complex ale that changes considerably as it warms up. Great raison notes on the aroma, with some higher alcohols and phenols on the taste buds. Well balanced and nice and warming. Wishing it was winter :p
Great drop.

I have to go and dig out the recipe from the Recipes topic now. Top work Hopsta.

Beers,
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back