Nottingham Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish13

Reaction score
I understand from my small searching and reading that it is a monster of a yeast. you should see the glad wrap over the fermentor!!

Due the heat in the bathroom and the **** up that is the sgt baker recipe - re home malted barley - its sitting there fermenting at 32 degree's.

Now is this strain of yeast suitable for that type of heat or even for making these saison beers you all talk about?

Nope, it's tolerant and a good yeast - but not that tolerant.

I use it at 14 degrees for fauxlager and at 16 for a good english ale.

Stupid me went camping before the last one completed and had to re-kickstart with yeast trub stuffs. Didn't temp control the 2nd time nor filter because I had a pils in the ferm freezer and ended up with estery murky okayness. not as good as it could have been, but it still is a very tolerant yeast, I'll give it that at 30 degrees plus humidity.

I understand from my small searching and reading that it is a monster of a yeast. you should see the glad wrap over the fermentor!!

Due the heat in the bathroom and the **** up that is the sgt baker recipe - re home malted barley - its sitting there fermenting at 32 degree's.

Now is this strain of yeast suitable for that type of heat or even for making these saison beers you all talk about?

I have used notto a lot and from my experience with it, the thought would be it is not good at 32* - Not that I have tried it but I would 'imagine' - not good.

Notto brews pretty quick, at normal temps or 18-22, and drops really fast and the yeast cake sets hard as my a rock!

Now to actually add something to a thread in the case someone ever reads it again:

Brew was a hoppy-ish APA...

I brew 4 cubes at once, and one time as a learning experiment, pitched 2 cubes of the exact same brew, into 2 different 30L fermenters that sat in the same fermenting fridge, again from the same batch - one with Notto one with US05.

Brewed out at the same temp.

Then kegged, not filtered, and high carbed, not ross method, but at 250 for 24 hours..

RESULT:

The Notto keg was clearer and had a sweeter 'tone' to it - not the hop driven APA that was the brew

US05 was a very hoppy beer and much cloudier.

Over all result - Notto strips hops, simple.

To double confirm, I over hopped a LCBA style by mistake... the first cube fermented and carbed was almost undrinkable due to the hops... SO, thought, I will brew next cube with notto and strip some hops...

Guess what happened, the notto stripped back the hops and brewed a really balanced beer.

Anyway, all this from experience not what I have read.. I will only ever post an opinion if I have experienced it, its great to read something and then 'spread' the word but when is it proven...

34c.

cheers cocko

its just finished fermentation. the krausen has gone and it just time to let it sit. still very hoppy but the grain smell is still coming through. I will bottle it and give it to my mate who drinks my beer and leaves.

Back