Nottingham Dry Yeast Vs Wlp039 Nottingham Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fine, but I would have thought that as a Retailer and a Retailer of the yeast you prefer (Whitelabs) then you could have shed somewhat more light on what I had imagined was a fairly basic question. Is WLP039 a liquid version of a dried yeast that has been around for years or has there merely been some confusion ?
I know what I know.
K

K
I sent an email asking that question on Monday, when I get an answer I will post it here.
Cheers
Gerard

Question asked
G'day Chris
Earlier this year I sold two vials of Nottingham WLP039, which has since caused a bit of discussion. Is this yeast in anyway related to the nottingham dried yeast by Danstar? Any info you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Gerard Meares

I just found this in the inbox

It is similar to that strain, but not exactly the same. Thanks,

Chris
----------------------------

Christopher E White, Ph.D.

President, White Labs Inc.

Yeast and Fermentation

7564 Trade St. San Diego, CA, 92121 USA

Question asked
G'day Chris
Earlier this year I sold two vials of Nottingham WLP039, which has since caused a bit of discussion. Is this yeast in anyway related to the nottingham dried yeast by Danstar? Any info you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Gerard Meares

I just found this in the inbox
It is similar to that strain, but not exactly the same. Thanks,

Chris
----------------------------

Christopher E White, Ph.D.

President, White Labs Inc.

Yeast and Fermentation

7564 Trade St. San Diego, CA, 92121 USA

Yes, I always thought dry Nottingham Ale Yeast was a dried version of a commercial yeast (think of someone drying the yeast after cultivating a Coopers Sparkling Ale yeast- and Coopers claim their yeast to be very, very old.). Got that idea from British sites. The liquid yeast is a derivitive of that commercial yeast. Time and tide sees these yeasts as close cousins (descendants of mutual grandparents, rather than from the same parent strain). That's what I thought as of about twelve months ago. Read nothing so far to sway me from that opinion.

Edit : Gran ma

Well i made my "Pozzy Ale" using nottingham dry,

70% Galaxy
20% Munich I
10% Wheat Malt, Pale

30.00 gm Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) 22.4 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.30 %] (15 min) 2.3 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.30 %] (0 min)

This brew was desinged for the father in law and his cane farmer mates for thier Xmas party..

Tastes great, i don't notice any dustiness! Hopefully it will be a success!

Latest posts

Back