Not enough yeast added?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maldridge

Reaction score
Hey guys, on Saturday I put down my first double batch AG brew. It was Tony's bright ale clone, and as this was my first double batch I stupidly forgot to purchase 2 lots of US05.

I added the single packet to about 38 L of wort. Do you think I'll run into any problems having added only the one packet? Or would it be wise to chuck in another packet??

Thanks for the help!

Run it through Mr malty... OG + volume = pitch rate, use the dry tab in Mr malty

Ed www.mrmalty.com

Sorry forgot to mention, there was no starter made. As I normally do I just sprinkled the packet directly onto the wort. I've had a 100% success rate with this method so Ive currently had no need for a starter.

I will check out that calculator thanks.

In my experience it will take off but you're likely to get some esters or possibly some acetaldehyde from it.

It should be pretty well about to take off in the next 12 hours I would think. US05 has been much slower for me these days (up to 24 hours for krausen even when rehydrating and good aeration).

-- the levels may well not be noticeable but I'm sure they will be there.

Are esters and acetaldehyde anything to worry about?

I'm happy to go purchase another pack of us05 to add if necessary

They definitely are in high doses but I think the damage will already be done.

I don't have enough experience at this stage of fermentation and more pitching to tell you.

I would think it can't hurt to pitch more, and that would probably be the general advice.

You havnt said what the OG is but.. most of the flavour pre-cursors are produced very early in the ferment, if you have underpitched, you may have attenuation issues and the yeast may not be able to clean up the by products of fermentation as they normally would with a healthy ferment...

I would be pitching more even if it was just to help clean up the mess the firs lot are bound to be making... dirty job for the poor little guys..

What Yob said, but from what you have said you have more than likely underpitched by quite a bit.

No worries I appreciate all the advice. I'll pop to the homebrew shop today to grab some more yeast and will dump it in tonight.

I didn't actually measure my OG this time round as I was focussing too much on everything else, skipped my mind!!

The OG reading is one of the most important readings to have… as indicated above OG + volume = pitch rate… anything else is guesswork

maldridge said:
Are esters and acetaldehyde anything to worry about?
I'm happy to go purchase another pack of us05 to add if necessary
Depends if you like drinking bananas and paint.

Not particularly!

Just put in 3/4 of a fresh yeast packet. There was definitely a little bit of action and CO2 production so at least things were underway.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back