Not Another Chill/no Chiill Post...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this very interesting, especially the part about adjusting the IBU in beersmith.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=787798

I don't want to restart the no chill debate...just thought it might interest someone who hasn't yet read it.

Just remember that was only looking at the bittering side, so to me was a waste of time reading. No offense to Thirsty, as he does post a lot of useful info, but I am concerned about all elements that make up a beer not just the IBU value. Personally I have found there is not one hard and fast rule I can apply to recipe tweaks for no chill. I just make a beer as per recipe for the first run, and then tweak it based on tasting. Then not only am I tweaking it for no chill, I'm allowing for system specific changes, water variances etc, and also my taste buds.

QldKev

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view) my smell/taste is crap, so a lot of tweaking will probably not be necessary.

Other than excessive sweetness or bitterness, I probably wont care.

Just remember that was only looking at the bittering side, so to me was a waste of time reading. No offense to Thirsty, as he does post a lot of useful info, but I am concerned about all elements that make up a beer not just the IBU value. Personally I have found there is not one hard and fast rule I can apply to recipe tweaks for no chill. I just make a beer as per recipe for the first run, and then tweak it based on tasting. Then not only am I tweaking it for no chill, I'm allowing for system specific changes, water variances etc, and also my taste buds.

QldKev

So you tweak based upon outcome........ interesting. That would make you a .......... Brewer :super:

Screwy

I guess a lot of noobs like myself get hung up on the numbers in a computer program, but you gotta start somewhere.

QldKev

I agree with QldKev...

I started no-chill last year and spent ages reading how to adjust the recipe etc....it was doing my head in :blink: !!
Without any hop schedule adjustments, I found my beers a bit too bitter (for my tastebuds anyway), so I modified my process accordingly.

Brew, drink then adjust for next time :icon_cheers: .
The recipe is a good guide, but won't give you all the exact details of the original brewers process anyway.

By 'tune by taste' we will be adjusting all facets of the beer, IBU, hop flavor, hop aroma, malt profile, body of the beer, salts, acid level, yeast, etc

Only once we have tweaked everything can we truly say we've completely stuffed up that recipe.

QldKev

By 'tune by taste' we will be adjusting all facets of the beer, IBU, hop flavor, hop aroma, malt profile, body of the beer, salts, acid level, yeast, etc

Only once we have tweaked everything can we truly say we've completely stuffed up that recipe.

QldKev

My problem is I'm too bloody keen to try another recipe, that I seem unable to do the same one twice. :lol:

QldKev

To give thirsty credit - he does end that post with the following paragraph:

But hops are an art not a science... look at the different formulas, all give different figures for teh same hop additions. No one can agree on how much bitterness you get from a FWH addition, everyone knows you get some bitterness from flameout/whirlpool additions but none of the formulas actually add any IBU's for them. You get different bitterness if you immersion chill vs plate or CF chill and surprise surprise.... you get different bitterness if you No-Chill than you do with chilling. Treat the numbers as a rough guide that will stop you popping an eyeball with a totally over bitter beer and then just go with your tastebuds. They're the only things that really matter anyway.

I totally agree on brewing and tweaking according to your own perception and understanding of your system though, Kev. Ticking a box in software that (fairly arbritrarily) tries to estimate something seems a less than ideal way of going about things.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am seriously contemplating giving this a go.

I don't have a tap in my pot so getting the wort into the cube without aerating it may be a problem. I guess I'll just need to put one in.

Time to go shopping :icon_cheers:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am seriously contemplating giving this a go.

I don't have a tap in my pot so getting the wort into the cube without aerating it may be a problem. I guess I'll just need to put one in.

Time to go shopping :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back