Norpro / Shule Grain Mill (cheap Marga Mill?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xarb

Reaction score
In my search to find a cheap mill for grain crushing I stumbled upon these marga mill look-a-likes.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...#ht_2673wt_1139

To my untrained eye they look the same as a marga mill but are only $90 AUD delivered.

Product Features

. Manufactured of heavy duty stainless steel, Plastic and wood.

. Highly tempered Rollers, Machine is all chrome finish.

. Unit IS 8.5" Tall, Base is 5.5" x 6"

. Has adjustment Knob.

. Comes with clamp, handle, cleaning brush, hopper and catching container. Also comes with instructions of use.

. The grain-crusher is guaranteed of any manufacturing defects for one year.

The Food maker/processor/Grain crusher is a machine of new conception, with which it is possible to make excellent fresh cereal flakes, oats, wheat and rye, and the good whole grain flour of wheat, rye, and other cereals. It keeps the healthy bran in the flour but you can filter it out as per the instructions. Its use is very simple and can be done in just a few minutes With three large special rollers running at different speeds The distance between the rollers can be adjusted by using a regulating knob Turning the regulating knob at three positions: Position 1: to make flour Position 2 and 3: to make cereal flakes. This machine does not create a fine flour such as cake flour, it is your wholegrain flour to be used for homemade breads.

Can anyone see any reason they might not work for homebrew purposes?

download.jpg

from the specs and picture it's absolutely identical to my marga... Might even be the same thing rebranded?

That's what I'm hoping. I might have to take the plunge and see how it works out. For the greater good of course!

I've been eyeing one of those off for a while now. Be interested to see how you get on.
The only thing that stopped me from snapping one up is that the price of one of these is not that much more and I've no doubt it will last forever.

from the specs and picture it's absolutely identical to my marga... Might even be the same thing rebranded?
That pretty little brush gives it away :p
I'd say that even the Marga itself is a re-brand of a generic machine, the Italians seem fond of doing that - for example they make wicked water pumps (Like you would have attached to your rainwater tank if you have one, or sumbersible if you are on a property) TQ_Pressur_Unit.jpg - but you wouldn't know it as they are rebranded as Southern Cross of Toowoomba etc etc ;)

Looks pretty good.... but IMO it's probably worth forking out the extra for a MM or similar from USA.

Not sure how easy it would be motorise these based on the handle configuration either.

A 10mm masonry bit fits into fine. My main problem is my drill battery lasts only half a grain bill :-(

Looks pretty good.... but IMO it's probably worth forking out the extra for a MM or similar from USA.
The cheapest Monster Mill from their website is $165 delivered. More than double the cost of these ones.

I'm a cheap ******* I tells ya! ;)

The cheapest Monster Mill from their website is $165 delivered. More than double the cost of these ones.

I'm a cheap ******* I tells ya! ;)
Me too, but I have turfed out a few cheap knock-off items that I sourced through ebay and ended up forking out for the real deal in the end.
Also, $165 is less than $90 x 2, so when this cheap one dies you will instantly be out of pocket no matter which replacement you go for.

A Bunnings Ozito variable speed with power cord handles a Marga quite well, set on lowest speed, and they put them out often for around $35. However it's got a silly "keyless chuck" that keeps loosening up so I just tighten then tape it round with duct tape and it can't slip. It also has a side handle and if you chock it up on some wooden blocks it's quite comfortable to use.

Also, $165 is less than $90 x 2, so when this cheap one dies you will instantly be out of pocket no matter which replacement you go for.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I thought I found one for $82, my maths isn't that bad! Unfortunately for me paypal uses yesterdays exchange rate so it ended up at $85.

I bit the bullet and got one, if it turns out to be a cheap piece of crap I'll save my pennies for a MM instead.

I'll try and remember to post an update in this thread once I've given it a crack. B)

I'd say it's definitely a standard Marga - You'll need to drill into it to set the correct gap for malt, see the "modding a Marga" thread.

Will do. Cheers for the help fellas. :icon_cheers:

I have to apologise for the late update. I received the mill a while ago but have been too busy to brew and give it a go!

Finally got to use it this weekend.

First things first: this is the same as Marga Mill. I read through all the Marga mill threads and this looks exactly like the pictures I saw.

First I drilled some more holes to get more settings. At the widest setting it lets too many whole grains through, this middle one works best.
OBHg0.jpg

The hopper that came with the mill only had a tiny hole so I had to widen it to the length of the rollers as well as widen the gap cause the grains kept getting stuck. I had limited tools available so just had to drill many holes to widen it, when I next visit the old man I'll file it so it's a bit nicer.
NfR0E.jpg

Went to bunnings and got this leaf catcher thing and a circle to square drain fitting to extend the hopper. Works beautifully.
D1Zlw.jpg

Pretty happy with the crush, although it might be making a bit too much flour. This doesn't worry me too much as I'm BIABing.
Z5IWd.jpg

For this batch I had it sitting on my dishwashing rack which was sitting on a bucket. It was a little awkward so I think Ill make the modification that I saw Pollux post - take the base off and bolt it to the lid of a bucket.

Seems to be the real deal, it crushed 4kgs easily. Hopefully it lasts a while.

Hi Xarb

It certainly looks like a "Marga Molino" knock off.

I used a Marga for a couple of years before I up graded to a Crankenstein.
It appears that you have got the crush right by drilling the hole in the adjuster - I did the same.
I had no worries with the Marga until I drove it with a drill.

Because it has geared rollers with slightly different ratios for each roller the faster you drive it the finer the crush.
This causes a large difference in your "efficiency" and makes it difficult to repeat recipes.
I suggest that if you power it with a drill that you have some means of setting the drill speed so that it is the same speed each time you crush.
Unfortunately I have lost the pics I had of mine with the hopper and the discharge shute but my old Marga served me well and was a valuable tool for me as I entered the world of AG brewing.

Happy brewing

Cheers

Latest posts

Back