Marga - Easy Grain Chute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adr_0

Gear Bod
Reaction score
We know that you can fit a square to 90mm adapter on the top of the Marga mill hopper, but looks like a 100 x 65? x 45° elbow fits in beautifully into the bottom to act as a grain chute. It should be able to be fixed with cable ties fairly easily, about 45° down to the left as shown in the photos. You can put a short 100 x 65mm chute on it if you wish.
marga-elbow-sep.jpg

marga-elbow.jpg

It looks like this part from Bunnings:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/downpipe-pvc-acc-sq-icon-sckt-bend-100x65mm-45deg-mc165_p4773293

The grain gets spat out between the two rollers on this side, so hopefully you don't have too much spill of flour/husks.

Marga can eat my arse, I bought a good mil from ebay for $132, comes with a hooper and smashes a brew in 10 minutes.
Such a waste of money the marga I had.

Yeah it's painful but has basically done the job so far. I will do at least a few more brews with it but foresee it being donated to someone else unless it wears out or breaks in the next few months.

Is that the Malt Muncher?

Yep, and oh my lord what a change from the Marga.

Sweet, Looks like a good next mill. Until then, I have this great chute idea for anyone who has a Marga....

I've had my marga for about 6years. Nothin wrong with it if you know how to use it. It does the job nicely. Fits a 20litre pail nicely no mess and a paint brush or dustpan and brush to clean. Hook up a drill off ya go. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407409322.764106.jpg
Definately not a waste of money

Ditto, great little mill, takes about 15 minutes using an Ozito spade handled variable speed corded drill, and that's on a slightly tighter BIAB setting. The Marga comes with a crank handle that can be cut, straightened then used as a drill bit. Mine just stays in the drill as I don't use it for anything else.

After a few attempts to make a chute, nowadays the mill "walks the plank" and the milled grain just drops into a big bowl then into the mash. Quick dust off with a pastry brush before doing that, slide the plank back to its default spot in the brauhaus, and bob's ya.

brauhaus 1.jpg

I got amarga with a system I gought years ago now and though I think an upgrade is not far away, Ive been very happy with it, had to play with the settings a bit to get the crush I wanted but Ive no complaints..

I use a cut off water container that fits about 6kg at a pop so most crushes take about 15 minutes for about 18kg..

Certainly seen better mills but for what thay are, they cope really well with the abuse Ive put it through :lol:

Capture.JPG

-_- I would have had to say this wouldnt I... most painfull mill ever last night, had to almost force it through, started screaming like a banchee and had to olive oil spray the ends of the rollers.. dunno if it just needs a clean out or what but I felt like hitting it with a hammer a few times last night.. got me there but only just I feel.. :angry:

Now looking toward one of THESE .. I just love 3 roller mills, dunno why, but I do.

indica86 said:
Marga can eat my arse, I bought a good mil from ebay for $132, comes with a hooper and smashes a brew in 10 minutes.
Such a waste of money the marga I had.
link to the mill you bought?

Yob said:
-_- I would have had to say this wouldnt I... most painfull mill ever last night, had to almost force it through, started screaming like a banchee and had to olive oil spray the ends of the rollers.. dunno if it just needs a clean out or what but I felt like hitting it with a hammer a few times last night.. got me there but only just I feel.. :angry:

Now looking toward one of THESE .. I just love 3 roller mills, dunno why, but I do.
Bugger. :(

With 3-roller mills... I do wonder if there is shear of the grain because of the different feed rates (due to different gaps) between the rollers or if it's an old wives tale.

Some people say it saves running through again (vs a 2-roller) but that to me seems like there is something fundamentally wrong with the mill, e.g. uneven gap. Or is there a genuine 'load' problem with getting down to a fine crush with a 2-roller mill? Chewing on roast barley and some of the more caramelised malts is a bit harder but is this really an issue? You should be able to get a perfect crush with a decent 2-roller, right?

indica86 said:
:icon_offtopic: The 200 caps are terrible. I bought from the same supplier and using my Brigalow Aussie made capper I had to put a good 50kg of force on it I reckon to cap a crown seal. I'm binning them. Unreal mill for the price though.
On topic: good idea Adr_0. Simple stuff. To be honest the stock design was why I didn't go for a Marga because I didn't want to bother with a chute.

Yob said:

Yob I did a bit of research a couple of years back and looked at these. In the end, after taking into account delivery and upgraded ss rollers it was in the same ballpark as a mashmaster. The mini mill has ss rollers, a solid alloy frame, easily adjusted (absolute piece of piss) and gear driven (no idle roller issues). Plus it was on my doorstep in two days. The hopper however is a POS and not to be assembled after a few frothies.
If you want to have a gander at mine I can bring it around when I pickup the glasses.

Camo6 said:
Yob I did a bit of research a couple of years back and looked at these. In the end, after taking into account delivery and upgraded ss rollers it was in the same ballpark as a mashmaster. The mini mill has ss rollers, a solid alloy frame, easily adjusted (absolute piece of piss) and gear driven (no idle roller issues). Plus it was on my doorstep in two days. The hopper however is a POS and not to be assembled after a few frothies.
If you want to have a gander at mine I can bring it around when I pickup the glasses.
A couple hours drive from Melbourne and you can look at one face to face. A monster that is.

Edit...added forgotten words.

Back