No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
Cant begin to imagine what the parents of the young bloke William Tyrell who went missing from Kendall last Friday must be enduring currently.
Every time I hear it on the news it makes me want go home and hug my kids.
My spouse tends to fixate on all this ghoulish stuff, and she watches all the freaky rape/molest/torture/kill TV shows which, to me, glorify all that's bad in the nature of some fringe individuals.

I prefer not to watch it play out. I'm distressed at the thought of the actions, let alone seeing it dragged out for 30 min to an hour, or over days on the news.

FWIW, she reckons one of the creepy relatives knows more than they are saying, re the Kendall incident. BTW, I have an uncle from Kendall, and this must be affecting him worse than I can know.

More randomness that I created.

Compare the pair.jpg

Too similar for my liking, and at least one of them is a gimp (also IMO)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411029107.397582.jpg

Anyone able to sort of tell me an easy way to figure out which parts of the house are on the 10A circuits so I avoid them?
Ideally I'd wan to know what part of the house has the juicy 32A. But I guess if I watch it I can run a 15A thing via converter on a 16A circuit for short periods of time?

The 16A circuits are your power points. The 10 your lights. I'd wager you've got an electric cooktop and oven? Thats your 32.

Your power points are rated to 10A. There's more to a 15A outlet than the larger earth pin.

jlm said:
The 16A circuits are your power points. The 10 your lights. I'd wager you've got an electric cooktop and oven? Thats your 32.

Your power points are rated to 10A. There's more to a 15A outlet than the larger earth pin.
Hmnnn. Gas cooktop and hybrid pos oven with 2300w in grill elements. House has upper level with separate apartment - gas as well. Gas water heating.

Yea, I'm mulling this one hard.... One thought says - I quietly replace a 10A wall point with a 15A point... Or move house! lol

The house does have total 80A printed on the main CB. So I'm guessing wiring can't be light...

Dangit. I got the old man to get a 15A point in the new place, pity he lives in the next state....

Wouldn't the 32A be for the wall oven/range? I don't think you'll be able to utilise this. To determine which 10A outlets are on what circuit plug a lamp into various power points and switch the breakers off individually and see which lamps go out.
From my understanding a 15A and 10A would both use 2.5mm2 the difference being that the 15A circuit is committed to one or two outlets maximum. But I am not an expert or electrician! (so should probably chime out about now...)

Depends how long the cable run is as to cable size, (whole nother kettle of fish) but yes generally 15 amp will be on a dedicated circuit, you plug a 15a appliance into a 16 or 20 amp circ you don't have much left to play with. Weatherproof 15a on a dedicated circuit mounted right next to your switchboard.
Outlet
RCBO
cable, fixings, certificate of electrical safety, 1 hour labour plus service call.

Easy. If your place is a brick veneer with a tile roof you can put that 15A outlet anywhere on your house for another hours labour and a few metres more cable.

It's then done right, won't trip out mid boil, if you have a keg king element when it goes it'll only trip the one circuit not half your house. It also won't have you worried that your house will burn down etc, etc.
Call a sparky.

Renting my friends.... Wouldn't bat an eyelid having it sorted properly otherwise... Think the garage probably even has a 15a point but it's not available to us/locked.

Generators.... They are getting smaller hey!
I need a big think about this.

Camo6 said:
From my understanding a 15A and 10A would both use 2.5mm2 the difference being that the 15A circuit is committed to one or two outlets maximum. But I am not an expert or electrician! (so should probably chime out about now...)
Both are wired with 2.5mm but as I pointed out earlier there is more to a 15A outlet than the larger earth pin and cable size.

Cheapest option may be to get a sparky to mount a 15A outlet in the switch board, then get yourself a 15A lead.

And I am a sparky. Soon to be full time sparky again. Giving up the brewing job to go back to where the money is. Lots of people on the forum have said that getting a brewing job is a good way to ruin a good hobby, and after 18 months I agree completely. Working 2 jobs sucks many, varied balls too.

You're definitely not wrong about the last bit there...

Ah well, I suppose I can always mash electric and boil on gas as at present until a better solution presents itself.

Hey PF clear some messages I just wrote a long PM regarding another option for your 15a outlet and can't send it to you!

jlm said:
Both are wired with 2.5mm but as I pointed out earlier there is more to a 15A outlet than the larger earth pin and cable size.

Cheapest option may be to get a sparky to mount a 15A outlet in the switch board, then get yourself a 15A lead.

And I am a sparky. Soon to be full time sparky again. Giving up the brewing job to go back to where the money is. Lots of people on the forum have said that getting a brewing job is a good way to ruin a good hobby, and after 18 months I agree completely. Working 2 jobs sucks many, varied balls too.
Just to be clear, I wasn't insinuating the outlets were the same or advocating running 15A through a 10A outlet!

BTW I hope you can slip smoothly back into the joy of home brewing. I'm reluctant to clean 5 kilo of grain out of the mash tun let alone hundreds of kilos.

Bridges said:
Hey PF clear some messages I just wrote a long PM regarding another option for your 15a outlet and can't send it to you!
Done

I say to you 2 words: mash pipe.

It's made all the difference in clearing the grain. My 3v setup mash tun was excellent in draining and very very efficient, however it was a pita to clean. And heavy. Current mash basket is a doodle to clean, just tip it into a garbo bag and hose out. Job done. 10+ kilo of malt sorted.

FFS.
Those moments in life when you watch the news and think you're not such a bad parent after all.

Got to ask my kids tonight what they know about stranger danger. Might even discuss it over a block of chocolate.

Bridges said:
Depends how long the cable run is as to cable size, (whole nother kettle of fish) but yes generally 15 amp will be on a dedicated circuit, you plug a 15a appliance into a 16 or 20 amp circ you don't have much left to play with. Weatherproof 15a on a dedicated circuit mounted right next to your switchboard.
Outlet
RCBO
cable, fixings, certificate of electrical safety, 1 hour labour plus service call.

Easy. If your place is a brick veneer with a tile roof you can put that 15A outlet anywhere on your house for another hours labour and a few metres more cable.

It's then done right, won't trip out mid boil, if you have a keg king element when it goes it'll only trip the one circuit not half your house. It also won't have you worried that your house will burn down etc, etc.
Call a sparky.
Landlord agreed to put in a 15A point outside. I offered to pay for the parts. He was concerned about electricity usage (I pay warm rent) but I explained and its all good. :)

Yippeeeee!!!

SoundCloud:

First up, possibly everyone on the planet knows this already, so feel free to make fun of me, but is it true that any photos you take or transfer via an apple device are automatically uploaded to soundcloud and remain there even when deleted from the device?

Latest posts

Back