No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good egg mayonnaise, absolutely. Not that artificial crap you get at the supermarket. That stuff is just nasty. On anything.

But a good egg mayo (throw a bit of mustard in as a special treat), or as you say, aoili. Yum.
I have just recently discovered the joys of making my own mayo.
Actually surprised how quick and easy it is to make.
Make it nice and thick and creamy, bit of mustard to cut through...just awesome.
Never buying the store bought stuff ever again! Especially considering how much it costs!

Don't really have a set recipe per se, just a basic guideline. Usually play it by ear, but it goes something like this...
2 Egg yolks
Vegetable oil
Vinegar
Mustard
Salt 'n Pepper

- Whisk egg yolks together in a bowl
- Pour in a small bit of oil and whisk together until its incorporated.
- From there you just keep on whisking oil until your happy with the consistency. I like it when it gets to the point where it just clings to the whisk and barely drips at all. It's surprising how much oil they can take.
- From there you can make adjustments: vinegar to cut through the stodginess, mustard for flavour, salt and pepper to taste.

Usually end up with a 250mL tub from that recipe.
Not sure how other oils go. Apparently olive oil does emulsify as well, would taste nicer though.

Don't really have a set recipe per se, just a basic guideline. Usually play it by ear, but it goes something like this...
2 Egg yolks
Vegetable oil
Vinegar
Mustard
Salt 'n Pepper

- Whisk egg yolks together in a bowl
- Pour in a small bit of oil and whisk together until its incorporated.
- From there you just keep on whisking oil until your happy with the consistency. I like it when it gets to the point where it just clings to the whisk and barely drips at all. It's surprising how much oil they can take.
- From there you can make adjustments: vinegar to cut through the stodginess, mustard for flavour, salt and pepper to taste.

Usually end up with a 250mL tub from that recipe.
Not sure how other oils go. Apparently olive oil does emulsify as well, would taste nicer though.

My method is much the same except that I use the blender as I'm lazy and can't be arsed whisking. Olive oil emulsifies just fine. I also often use lemon juice instead of vinegar. Takes literally 2 minutes to make in the blender.

From that base recipe, add grlic to get aoili. Add herbs and/or mustard. A dash of Worcestershire sauce, some anchovies and Tabasco makes a very nice Caesar salad dressing (make the mayo a bit thinner). The sky's the limit.

Never buy the supermarket stuff.

Cheers
dave

Dunno if anybody here has seen that show, Jimmy's food factory, but there was an episode where he knocked up a batch of 'lite' mayo.

Looking at the ingredients and process, you'd honestly think it was a fcuking piss take.

Come to think of it, true of many a 'lite' version.

I've had a go with olive oil. You need to get a very neutral flavoured one, or for that matter a flavour you enjoy, or that's all you'll taste.

Nice idea, except, personally, for two things:

1. The labal is in German, not Dutch
2. I hate the smell and taste of curry.

However, let me be the last to discourage others from trying whatever combinations pushes their buttons!

I'd expect that a lot of stuff sold in the Nederlands would be manufactured in Germany.
My Dutch brother in law won't go near a chip without mayo and curry saus. He reckons it is very common for the Dutch folks he knows to do so.

Fair enough Warra, we'll call this an 'attempted trip down memory lane' FAIL.

Carry on, as you were, before I interupted you.
:lol:

Dutch.
The word itself always conjures up two things for me.

This song.

And the fact that a I used to have a Dutch mate with a remarkably large penis. He claimed this was true of most Dutch males.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers fellas. I know what I'll be having on my chips this weekend.

Adding oil slowly at the start is the key - wait until it emuslifies properly before adding to much or too quickly - a slow steady stream while constantly whisking or blending (can be done in food processor too).

If you add too quickly, the mayo will split. You can fix this by getting another egg yolk and treating your split mix like the oil, adding slowly till emulsification starts. Vinegar and other flavourings to taste but be aware that your acid addition will thin the mayo consistency slightly.

It is basic and dead simple though - always made me wonder how the sickly sweet horrible white additive laden much from the supermarket ever became so popular.

Dutch.
The word itself always conjures up two things for me.

This song.

And the fact that a I used to have a Dutch mate with a remarkably large penis. He claimed this was true of most Dutch males.

Oh I see, not the song I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be "Pass the Dutchie" .

I wouldn't know the size of the penis any of my friends has. Horses for courses, just sayin that is not how I roll.

:p

Adding oil slowly at the start is the key - wait until it emuslifies properly before adding to much or too quickly - a slow steady stream while constantly whisking or blending (can be done in food processor too).
Good to know, cheers. I've successfully made hollandaise sauce a few times so I should be right.

also:

Back in the old UK after numerous pints of real ale, nothing like walking home on a freezing cold night with a bag of hot chips and a polystyrene cup of curry sauce to dip them in, hotter the better. :)

Warra when I move down your way I'll have to wean you onto curries, actually there's no such thing as a "curry", it's an English Name that was applied to Indian Subcontinent foods back in the good old days of the Raj and really is like lumping Pork Knuckle, Irish Stew, Boef Bourguignon and liver-bacon-and-onions into the same category by calling them all "meaties" or something ridiculous.

I'm sure there's something on the spectrum I can tempt you with to the dark side. B)

Back in the old UK after numerous pints of real ale, nothing like walking home on a freezing cold night with a bag of hot chips and a polystyrene cup of curry sauce to dip them in, hotter the better. :)

Warra when I move down your way I'll have to wean you onto curries, actually there's no such thing as a "curry", it's an English Name that was applied to Indian Subcontinent foods back in the good old days of the Raj and really is like lumping Pork Knuckle, Irish Stew, Boef Bourguignon and liver-bacon-and-onions into the same category by calling them all "meaties" or something ridiculous.

I'm sure there's something on the spectrum I can tempt you with to the dark side. B)

Mate, others have attempted to educate me, including a dear lady I worked with. She is a solicitor, of Indian background, who emigrated from the UK to Aus. We still catch up and have lunch when I visit Sydney.

The closest I can get to eating anything along those lines are the Thai green curries. I just can't take to Indian style food, other than Butter Chicken.
I'm not a fussy food eater, and I really am quite adventurous, and don't mind hot food, but there are just some things which don't do it for me. Each to their own!

As for that youtube of the fat Dutch kid singing, makes me ashamed to own up to my Dutch origin. That young little ******* will grow up to be a really obese fat and ugly old *******!

Oh I see, not the song I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be "Pass the Dutchie" .

That would be to much of a double entendre.

On herbs in home made mayo......Dill. Shit hot.

I_like_to_hump_this_cat.jpg

Latest posts

Back