No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't you just hate it when you buy the right part your brain says no its the wrong part and then you find the manual and realise the hot chick behind the counter was right :(

Being neither a particularly prolific, nor talented brewer has its pitfalls. Such was the case yesterday when I timed mashout to coincide with morning tea for the young bloke and me. We ate banana, drank milk and compromised on Nat Geo Wild cos there were brown bears catching hapless salmon in their mouths.
After half an hour or so, I returned to discover the level in the esky pretty much as I left it. It was the oats, and a quick look back through my $2 shop brew diary revealed the use of rice hulls in my last stout and a trouble free mash out.

Despite my best efforts to free up the flow by prodding at the braid to eventually blowing back through the hose and punching the esky, no dice. **** it. What a fucken hassle.
So I spent the next hour (at least) ladling mash into the kettle through the biggest strainer our kitchen had to offer. Knocked the OG out to buggery and added hours to the whole process. Even so, things were ker-plunking along nicely this morning and some tinkering got the gravity where it needs to be.

I can borrow a gas bottle easily enough.
I can clean up a spill.
In a pinch, I can use a meat thermometer or kitchen scales.
Stuck sparges are an all round motherfucker.

Being neither a particularly prolific, nor talented brewer has its pitfalls. Such was the case yesterday when I timed mashout to coincide with morning tea for the young bloke and me. We ate banana, drank milk and compromised on Nat Geo Wild cos there were brown bears catching hapless salmon in their mouths.
After half an hour or so, I returned to discover the level in the esky pretty much as I left it. It was the oats, and a quick look back through my $2 shop brew diary revealed the use of rice hulls in my last stout and a trouble free mash out.

Despite my best efforts to free up the flow by prodding at the braid to eventually blowing back through the hose and punching the esky, no dice. **** it. What a fucken hassle.
So I spent the next hour (at least) ladling mash into the kettle through the biggest strainer our kitchen had to offer. Knocked the OG out to buggery and added hours to the whole process. Even so, things were ker-plunking along nicely this morning and some tinkering got the gravity where it needs to be.

I can clean up a spill.
"I can borrow a gas bottle easily enough." love it!

Haven't had a stuck sparge yet, touch wood. Do you drain quickly? Isn't that one of the causes?
But yeah, I'm a pretty fucken hopeless brewer too. Lots of "she'll be right" or "ahh f##k it" in my braugarage.

Wife just rang with those words "Sorry, I just broke your thermometer thingy again." Aaaah Dammit!
Time to search ebay for a refractometer.

I can clean up a spill.
Ive had one stuck mash and I realise I prob should have added gulls to it. so i added them. stirred the mash to the bejesus and let it settle, then recirded and it was fine. never to late to try and rescue it. of course it also helps to get the mash to mashout temps (which im sure you know)

my missus is sick of hearing me swear during brewday cause somethings not going right. recently its been the fkn march pump. casuing me no end of pain.

"I can borrow a gas bottle easily enough." love it!

Haven't had a stuck sparge yet, touch wood. Do you drain quickly? Isn't that one of the causes?
But yeah, I'm a pretty fucken hopeless brewer too. Lots of "she'll be right" or "ahh f##k it" in my braugarage.
One of the only others I've had stick was as a direct result of trying to rush in before the grain had a chance to settle. With a highly sophisticated set up such as mine - esky - braid and wooden spoon jammed into the end of the tube - it's vital to let things settle out. I made a Franziskaner (ish) clone with around 70% of notoriously sticky wheat as part of the grist at a relaxed pace with no drama. I'm henceforth applying a two drink minimum on myself between mashout and draining into the kettle.
Pint's, of course.

I can clean up a spill.

Ive had one stuck mash and I realise I prob should have added gulls to it. so i added them. stirred the mash to the bejesus and let it settle, then recirded and it was fine. never to late to try and rescue it. of course it also helps to get the mash to mashout temps (which im sure you know)
my missus is sick of hearing me swear during brewday cause somethings not going right. recently its been the fkn march pump. casuing me no end of pain.

One of the only others I've had stick was as a direct result of trying to rush in before the grain had a chance to settle. With a highly sophisticated set up such as mine - esky - braid and wooden spoon jammed into the end of the tube - it's vital to let things settle out. I made a Franziskaner (ish) clone with around 70% of notoriously sticky wheat as part of the grist at a relaxed pace with no drama. I'm henceforth applying a two drink minimum on myself between mashout and draining into the kettle.
Pint's, of course.

If its not the Chinese hops, its the stuck sparges. I'm with Mr. Sanders on this one, you fellas just need to learn how to brew. :rolleyes:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=51836

I've only ever had a stuck mash. T'was with a pumpkin ale - had 500g of hulls in there too (20L batch).

Stuck mashes are the pits.

Leftover beer from the Hills Brewers pizza night.
Flanders Oud Bruin & Saison... Mmmmm Saison. so damn good.

Threw my back out first thing this morning, but, damn it, I've had this brewday planned for 10 days. Best thing about FWH is drinking a beer at the first hop addition. It is going to be a long slow, ibuprofeny, deep-heaty and beery brew day methinks...still the brew is more an experiment to get a good top crop supply of wy3787 anyway...

Sucks dude.

Ants love my Mac keyboard, for some reason.

Threw my back out first thing this morning, but, damn it, I've had this brewday planned for 10 days. Best thing about FWH is drinking a beer at the first hop addition. It is going to be a long slow, ibuprofeny, deep-heaty and beery brew day methinks...still the brew is more an experiment to get a good top crop supply of wy3787 anyway...

Sucks dude.

Ants love my Mac keyboard, for some reason.

Cheers mate. Ants love my macbook because I take it everywhere (incl Uni) and eat all sorts of stuff while using it haha.

I came in 3 points over, single pale malt with some calculated cal chloride and cal sulphate additions, good mash ph, all looking awesome. Pitched at 19c. 6 pints and now onto LaTrappe blonde to forget about the clean up tomorrow.

Also in today-sucks-arse-news; paranoid email from a paranoid **** (they have made three formal grievances in as many years at Uni...so it must be the rest of us right???), I replied professionally (something they have no experience with), forwarded the lot to the course co-ordinator and once my fury calms down I will unleash the red dragon haha (reference to the username and profile pic for those wondering).

(reference to the username and profile pic for those wondering).
That probably only helps those who already get it. And even then, as someone who is aware of Harris' work, I though you were talking about your penis.

I normally sport a flat-top but last October after meeting a kid with cancer, I decided to grow out my locks and give it away. I'm not a rich man but I can do this. I suppose you blokes are gonna want to see my progress. I do have fantastic hair. You wife best not see it or she'll be calling me Fabio. I am only at 3.5 inches yet...but I am on my way. 10 inches of hair and it is shave time!!!

That probably only helps those who already get it. And even then, as someone who is aware of Harris' work, I though you were talking about your penis.

Isn't the entire novel a euphemism? Show us ya 'Frances' etc?

edit: the physio really worked HARD on pumping my TIGHT, RIGID TENSE BITS this morning and the relief I gained was almost ORGASMIC

Holy shit. I was doing a quick bit of research for a soul crushing jibe I was concocting for your benefit, Lecterfan (see rough sketch below, sadly Google has debunked the claim I was to make) and was immediately thrown into the Way-Back Machine. Totally forgot I used to wear Red Dragon skate gear purely because of that book. Totally surprised to discover they still exist! Weird.

Anyway, the gist of the soul crushering is that I know that Stephen King used the Red Dragon (not Blake's though) as a motif used by the villain to express his evilness and I thought he did it first, but it turns out he's a total hack (who knew?) and did it a full five years later.

Holy shit. I was doing a quick bit of research for a soul crushing jibe I was concocting for your benefit, Lecterfan (see rough sketch below, sadly Google has debunked the claim I was to make) and was immediately thrown into the Way-Back Machine. Totally forgot I used to wear Red Dragon skate gear purely because of that book. Totally surprised to discover they still exist! Weird.

Anyway, the gist of the soul crushering is that I know that Stephen King used the Red Dragon (not Blake's though) as a motif used by the villain to express his evilness and I thought he did it first, but it turns out he's a total hack (who knew?) and did it a full five years later.

hahaha! Tommy H FTW!

D-day for my 2 top wisdom teeth today.
Can't wait to rip those useless buggers out.

Latest posts

Back