No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GAH! So I get up early today to do my first brew since July. I am pumped.

Okay, first things first - start boiling the 3-piece valve I broke apart last night to save time today - because, you know, that 1 minute would have really fucked me over today. So, you know how the seals between the ball and the flange sides are two piece? The cat has decided to play with the smaller, thinner pieces and I CANNOT FIND THEM.

So I go to Bunnings hoping against hope that they sell a similar valve (so I don't have to replace it twice or put off brewing today). They don't, naturally. They do have 1/2in two-piece valves though - which I look at and think "well, I'm not happy about it but I know I've got at least one such valve at home from when I used to lay gas services - I'll just boil the shit out of it and save myself a few bucks".

I get home only to realise that the valve I have is male-female not female-female so I can't put the barb on it. So back to Bunnings I go.

Brass or chrome plate? Well it is only temporary but I spend the extra couple bucks on chrome anyway. The bag doesn't say anything about the thread, naturally, so I grab the one that looks right. It isn't, of course.

Do I go back and buy yet another valve (that I am going to replace anyway) so I can brew today or do I just whine on the internet?

I don't see why I can't do both. BBL.

bum,
I would go to k-mart, buy a kilo of sugar, a can of Coopers Lager and dump it in your fermenter...

SOLVED!

Well, you've had your whine, time to head back up to Bunnings and buy another wrong valve :lol:

But what if they're out of hop tablets? I want to brew an IPA.

time to head back up to Bunnings and buy another wrong valve :lol:
Thanks for that. Now I have someone (apart from myself) to blame when it inevitably happens. :p

But what if they're out of hop tablets? I want to brew an IPA.

Just boil the kit for an hour or 3. But you'll need to use a boil with a rate of 1L per 100 gms of malt, (so about 75L for a standard 1.8kg tin) to achieve the correct gravity for your starter. This may/may not increase the bitterness which may/may not make a better beer. Also, add your yeast at 30' for a quick ferment.

Works for me, anyway.

Lucky you never saw Steady Eddie

Oh a trip down memory lane that one. I still remember him telling a joke about having sex with his girlfriend, who was in a wheel chair and they ended up on the Goldcoast.

"So just remember this the next time you want to bag a disabled person and you know put them down, just remember this: Superman is now one of us":

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found a dodgy-looking, cheap and cheerful, Chinese Dumpling place, less than a 3 minute walk from the new house.

Their hot'n'sour soup, and their pan-fried pork dumplings were both excellent.

Win!

Just found a dodgy-looking, cheap and cheerful, Chinese Dumpling place, less than a 3 minute walk from the new house.

Their hot'n'sour soup, and their pan-fried pork dumplings were both excellent.

Win!

I'm leaving mrs warra and moving.............. :lol: ;) B) :p

How try hard boring is Ray Hadlee. Feels like I'm watching the radio :huh:

Watching league... What am I a hobo?

Had a loverly night and lovery beers at Mountain Goat tonight (quite like the Rye IPA - perhaps a touch more session-friendly than I'd like but I guess that worked out well since I had a session on them) but why do you sell me a pint of IPA then send security around to kick everyone out to close up? Ever heard of "last call"?

Oh yeah, ended up making beer today. w00t!

Learned an important lesson last night, it's probably not the brightest idea to jump onto the 11% Scotch Ales after drinking Torpedo's all night.... WALLOP :party:

Was a bit wee-wee'd working this morning.

The Green Flash Barley Wine in the fridge it taunting me

just doing my first brew for 3 months or so and filled the hlt without looking. it was nearly up to temp so i gave it a stir only to see a white cloud rise from the bottom. so i pulled it down from its perch and had a good look. floating around the top is about half a dozen tadpoles! i mustve left some water in it last time i brewed and a tenacious frog has got in and laid eggs. funny thing is it had a lid on, no idea how it got in there. almost considered brewing a porter instead of the saison thats planned.

just doing my first brew for 3 months or so and filled the hlt without looking. it was nearly up to temp so i gave it a stir only to see a white cloud rise from the bottom. so i pulled it down from its perch and had a good look. floating around the top is about half a dozen tadpoles! i mustve left some water in it last time i brewed and a tenacious frog has got in and laid eggs. funny thing is it had a lid on, no idea how it got in there. almost considered brewing a porter instead of the saison thats planned.

:lol: Gold. Plenty of protein in that one!

Staying at my rellos place in WA a few years ago and they had frogs everywhere (tiger snakes too unfortunately - for the frogs at least)....quite often I'd grab a magazine in preparation for a good long sit-down, get to the loo, open the lid and there'd be a bloody frog in there. Must have had a hell of a swim through some pipes and buggered if I know where they were getting in (clearly they weren't entering the house and prying the lid open and jumping in that way)....

Latest posts

Back