No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm reading a description of a beer in an email from an alcoholic beverage retailer. It describes one of the flavours of a beer as being "metallic hops".

Uh...what? Never heard that one before and while I have tasted metallic beers on many occasions I have never once considered that it was hop-based (and therefore probably intentional).

What say you, brewers?

Clandestine photo taken by a worker next to the Purvis brew kettle.

Shavings.jpg

Skyrim is on special for 33% off on Steam at the moment.

Hurry, sale ends in about an hour, but I took advantage of it. Jump on, you know you want to.

GTFO, I just loaded a truck going to Tas, upon openeing the sides I was confronted with a full pallet of mixed beer cartons. Leffe, Fullers, Weihenstephaner, Erdinger. I was very carful to load him with such fragile freight.
Will I need a forklift at home to unload?

Wow, thanks Bumster!!
I'll sure knows better next time!!
And look! He is using US 05 in the new and improved version - which is like, super ******* cool - cos I like, got some ready to go!!
Oh man, cue the bagpipes, I'm gonna jump outa my chair and dance a jig!!

LCBA 3

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 52.00 Wort Size (L): 52.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.20
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.94
Anticipated EBC: 8.4
Anticipated IBU: 32.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
82.4 8.40 kg. IMC Pilsner Australia 1.038 3
5.9 0.60 kg. Weyermann Carapils Germany 1.037 3
5.9 0.60 kg. Weyermann Carahell Germany 1.035 26
5.9 0.60 kg. Weyermann Wheat Dark Germany 1.037 18

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 11.0 45 min.
30.00 g. Cascade Whole 8.00 11.0 45 min.
10.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 2.4 20 min.
10.00 g. Cascade Whole 8.00 2.4 20 min.
20.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 2.9 10 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Whole 8.00 2.9 10 min.
30.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 8.00 0.0 0 min.
30.00 g. Cascade Whole 8.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05 at 19 deg

I guess I missed the point of your original post...

So, I'm reading a description of a beer in an email from an alcoholic beverage retailer. It describes one of the flavours of a beer as being "metallic hops".

Uh...what? Never heard that one before and while I have tasted metallic beers on many occasions I have never once considered that it was hop-based (and therefore probably intentional).

What say you, brewers?

I always thought beers with fuggles in them taste a bit metallic.

Never found that with other hops so it's not a gear/process thing.

Maybe I'm just weird :wacko:

I always thought beers with fuggles in them taste a bit metallic.

Never found that with other hops so it's not a gear/process thing.

Maybe I'm just weird :wacko:

I have always regarded the flavour of fuggles is more boiled peanuts than metalic. Mmm boiled peanuts in a bowl - yum in a beer - crap. Must drop in and grab some boiled peanuts on the way home tommorrow

I have always regarded the flavour of fuggles is more boiled peanuts than metalic. Mmm boiled peanuts in a bowl - yum in a beer - crap. Must drop in and grab some boiled peanuts on the way home tommorrow
Sounds like a side by side challenge is in order...

20igim1.jpg
111t5kh.jpg

Fark, what a carnt of a brewday. Shuffled home quickly after work thinking 'piece of piss', bang down a brew. Firstly I mashed in with time to go get the boys from school and arrive home in time to start sparge. First problem; in such a hurry to get to school I forgot to put sparge water in hlt so it would be ready when I got home. No biggy, just put me a bit behind, so I thought. Did a brew I've done before with not even a hint of firm grain bed during lauter/sparge. Wouldn't you fuckin know it, complete stuck sparge, had to remove the lot from the mash tun and drain half it through my old biab bag and then do a big single sparge for fear of it locking up again. Thank christ it didn't and I at least managed to get wort into the kettle. With a bit of precious first runnings wetting my foot and who know's what still stuck to the bag and brew rig I hopefully might still have something worthwhile... This is the first actual stuck sparge I've had and let me tell those who haven't had one, 'it aint fun'. I giggled a bit inside when a fellow brewer said he added a fist full of gulls to all brews, as insurance even though he knew/thought he didn't need them all the time. I think I know what I'm buying next, hello gulls. After all this I'm pretty sure what went wrong...I brewed sober today. I never brew sober :beerbang: I'm nearly always off my tits by first hop addition, I know what'll be happenning next brewday :icon_cheers:

anyway, end dribble/rant

bah

Bought a new PVR last night.
Connecting aerial through from wall - pvr- tv as per the olden days with a vcr.
But when you put it on standby the TV loses signal. FFS.
Honestly do they even troubleshoot shit like this these days?

I'm turning into a grandpa who yells at the tv.
And the remote is pretty fucked too.
Might need a signal booster too.... **** this shit... no wonder the price difference.

00845260.jpg

All my TV points are f type now. But the antenna input to the TV is still a crappy push in thing that looses its grip and falls out WTF.
annoys me a lot. I thought that all the TVs were supposed to be accepting f-type connectors to be digital compliant?

Something that annoys me is that my foxtel remote "sometimes" works via the IR repeater system to change channels in the bedroom but not always. Why does this happen?

00845260.jpg

All my TV points are f type now. But the antenna input to the TV is still a crappy push in thing that looses its grip and falls out WTF.
annoys me a lot. I thought that all the TVs were supposed to be accepting f-type connectors to be digital compliant?

Something that annoys me is that my foxtel remote "sometimes" works via the IR repeater system to change channels in the bedroom but not always. Why does this happen?
Of course.... another trip to Jaycar (or the $2 shop).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this is your problem, or whether it is in fact still an issue.... but:

Apparently, foxtel remotes use (or once did) a slightly non-standard carrier frequency. Common IR remote carriers are around the 40KHz range. 38KHz and 40KHz are common. If you try to receive a 38KHz signal with 40KHz receiver, it will work some of the time, and not at others. This is because the remotes aren't perfectly accurate in their timing, and so the receivers have some tolerance built in. If your repeater is receiving the codes and retransmitting (store and forward) then you may run into this issue.

edit: speeling

Back