No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salad for lunch today. Just wont cut through the hang over... We celebrated last night as we got into the Nationals! Who's gonna BAG biab now!

Well done Katie and Lloydie, is that your first comp, have you got that warm and fuzzy feeling?

Cheers
Andrew

Salad for lunch today. Just wont cut through the hang over... We celebrated last night as we got into the Nationals! Who's gonna BAG biab now!

Just because somebody needs to bite...

But just think how much better your beer could be :p

But seriously, well done to you both!

Just because somebody needs to bite...

But just think how much better your beer could be :p

But seriously, well done to you both!

Im actually really happy with our beers. Lloydie and I are both happy with the equipment we have. Its taken us to time to build up to were we are. If I was on my own, I would not be able to build a system but BIAB would of being something I was capable of doing. I like the simplicity of my system, I like how I control my temp down to the degree! I know I can make much better beer on my system! SO THERE!

Thanks... though!

Pillow case brewers are sooo touchie... :p

Serious Question and I am not stirring. BIAB as a brewing process is accepted as an AG method, except from a few die hards, why is there still so much separatism amongst us brewers over it. It seems to me that BIABers are as much at fault as the main stream for rift that I don't see as being there.

Like I said I AM NOT STIRRING just wondering is all?

I don't see how it can't be accepted, you start with all grain don't you, as far as I'm concerned you can mash in a toilet lined with shit paper (though I would not drink it if you paid me :lol: ), it's the ingredients that make it AG not the process.

I'm still having trouble finding the fittings to build my MT :(

I guess the efficiency argument. I know most people are joking but there are the diehards (chappos words) that just bag it. If they don't believe in it why are they on the BIAB threads. My first introduction to ALL GRAIN was through BIAB so I have always stuck with it. As I said before I like the simplicity of the equipment. I think also it annoys people that others can start ALL GRAIN brewing relatively easily! I don't go into the KIT threads and stir them up! I know I started it with showing off! I'm also lucky to have Lloydie who can calculate recipes to suit our equipment he knows our equipment well!

I totally agree with what your saying cost wise etc. Getting into a fully blown HERMS like mine is not a cheap exercise and as you know I am intending to set up a mini BIAB system so I can do experimental beers.

There just seems to be a widening gap and how can I say... attitude developing?

I totally agree with what your saying cost wise etc. Getting into a fully blown HERMS like mine is not a cheap exercise and as you know I am intending to set up a mini BIAB system so I can do experimental beers.

There just seems to be a widening gap and how can I say... attitude developing?

Why? cant you experiment on the HERMS?

Why would it annoy anybody on what system we use? I dont get annoyed because you have a HERMS!

We are interested in the traditional method for sure, espeacially when it comes to more difficult steps in the brew... we get around it dont you worry. Arms just get really sore!

I dont have much knowledge on the three vessel system (I understand the fundamentals) Lloydie does! I guess he has the boy brain that can keep all that information in.

I think some of the "gap" may be caused by BIABers being very defensive of their brewing techniques as they are used to having to deal with misguided people who like to pull apart every part of the BIAB concept.

From there starts the vicious cycle.........

Personally, I love BIAB, it has allowed me to pump out some beers that I and those who have drunk them have been happy with, and at the end of the day that's what matters.

I basically put my system together to do double and triples mainly with the odd single from time to time. BIAB saves me having to set up different pots but more importantly less bloody clean up, one vessel and a bag vs 2 pots and a HERMS. PITA!

I only want to do max 10lt batches for experimentation.

I forgot what who and what it was but it happened a couple of weeks ago. when somebody asked a question. I answered it! Which is rare. I was correct in my answer. the person said no that is for BIAB. My answer was exactly the same as a three vessel brewer, after me. The other three vessel brewer who ignored my advice has a three vessel system. BUT STILL does not the basics of brewing! Just because our equipment is simple does not mean we don't know what we are doing!

I basically put my system together to do double and triples mainly with the odd single from time to time. BIAB saves me having to set up different pots but more importantly less bloody clean up, one vessel and a bag vs 2 pots and a HERMS. PITA!

I only want to do max 10lt batches for experimentation.

EDIT:

so you are going to experiment on what you think is a inferior system? Why?

What fittings are you chasing HB79 for the tun?

I can get the copper pipe, elbows and T's no worries but having trouble finding something to go from that to the tap. Searched Bunnings a few weeks in a row, never any stock, no prick want's to go look out the back for me either.

I think some of the "gap" may be caused by BIABers being very defensive of their brewing techniques as they are used to having to deal with misguided people who like to pull apart every part of the BIAB concept.

From there starts the vicious cycle.........

Personally, I love BIAB, it has allowed me to pump out some beers that I and those who have drunk them have been happy with, and at the end of the day that's what matters.

I with you there Pollux. I think 3 or 4 of the 12 brewers at my brew day this weekend were BIABers. And let me say there was nothing wrong with their brewing knowledge and or ability for that matter. I view BIAB as a brewing process much the same as 3 Teir Gravity or single teir herms or for that matter RIMS. All of the processes have their problems, issues, short coming etc as well as advantages.

And Katie I did see that thread your refering to and you are right about being snobed off but I am not sure that it was intentional?

@ Adamt ROFL! Dry bugger!

I can get the copper pipe, elbows and T's no worries but having trouble finding something to go from that to the tap. Searched Bunnings a few weeks in a row, never any stock, no prick want's to go look out the back for me either.

Do you mean this?

gallery_9761_435_2865.jpg

3/4" pipe into T. 3/4" compression fitting over all thread rod?

A trade plumbing store could help you out and would be cheaper than that Western Australian rip off company (now that's a stir ok!)

I forgot what who and what it was but it happened a couple of weeks ago. when somebody asked a question. I answered it! Which is rare. I was correct in my answer. the person said no that is for BIAB. My answer was exactly the same as a three vessel brewer, after me. The other three vessel brewer who ignored my advice has a three vessel system. BUT STILL does not the basics of brewing! Just because our equipment is simple does not mean we don't know what we are doing!

LOL. I'm an analytical organic chemist by trade, but when I was a kit brewer, there was a stream of expert AG'ers who would not (and I guess still can't) accept that chemistry is chemistry no matter where it occurs...makes me laugh when certain AG'ers think the chemistry changes because "this is all-grain and you haven't done AG" LMAO!

Dipping into my limited knowledge on psychology, I guess it boils down to an inferiority complex and these particular 3-system AG'ers who think they are above all who are not doing similar!

I with you there Pollux. I think 3 or 4 of the 12 brewers at my brew day this weekend were BIABers. And let me say there was nothing wrong with their brewing knowledge and or ability for that matter. I view BIAB as a brewing process much the same as 3 Teir Gravity or single teir herms or for that matter RIMS. All of the processes have their problems, issues, short coming etc as well as advantages.

And Katie I did see that thread your refering to and you are right about being snobed off but I am not sure that it was intentional?

@ Adamt ROFL! Dry bugger!

No but it shows that they are NIAVE by saying it would be different for BIAB! Don't worry I had a great laugh about it! I guess we all enjoy a little rivalry!

I'm going in my first case swap this year. If I was in QLD or VIC it would be my second. I'm a little scared about going as some of those West Coast Brewers are little funny about BIAB! But I'm proud of my beers and even more proud now that we got a place. And we got a place in the APA section not a easy section as everybody brews them. The judges had no idea it was a BIAB beer! That also a GIRL made!

Latest posts

Back