No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, this is the problem I'm having. Oh well.

Although I guess it makes sense. When eating in white people restaurants over there the only veggie you ever get is potato - as fries. Maybe the odd salad. They really only seem to be interested in eating meat and cheese.

Part of tonight's meal was roast pumpkin. Beautiful. And not a can in sight.

Has anyone noticed how The Goodies isn't actually very funny? I never knew.

Has anyone noticed how The Goodies isn't actually very funny? I never knew.

Agreed.

Was intriguing when young and it was funny... from memory. Watched a few a couple of months ago, even some classics come up, the animal farm one, sleeperex and when they go in to the dinosaur.... can't believe I lasted more than one ep.

A time and a place I guess....

Agreed.

Was intriguing when young and it was funny... from memory. Watched a few a couple of months ago, even some classics come up, the animal farm one, sleeperex and when they go in to the dinosaur.... can't believe I lasted more than one ep.

A time and a place I guess....
That time being when we were 12 yrs old, running home from school for this back to back with Monkey.
ABC had all the great shows.

I just remembered that I forgot to empty my mash tun last night, again. Shit's been in there for 3 days now

Hey Bum,

Not sure if your still looking for a pumpkin ale recipe that uses real pumpkin, but here is Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles:

OG - 1.056
IBU - 24
Colour: 12 SRM

11 lbs - Maris Otter (reduce by 2 lbs and add 5 lbs cooked pumpkin, if using real pumpkin)
.5 - Aromatic
.5 - Crystal 40
.5 - Crystal 120
.25 - Special Roast

Hops
Kent Goldings - 1.2 oz

Spices (ground dry)
Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
Ginger - 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg - 1/8 tsp
All Spice - 1/8 tsp

Yeast - WLP 002

Mash at 154F

Hope this helps.

Cheers SJ

That time being when we were 12 yrs old, running home from school for this back to back with Monkey.
ABC had all the great shows.

Hey... I still like the Goodies...

And Monkey rocks.

Maybe I just never grew up.

I actually found more to like in Monkey as an adult so I don't think that is it. The Goodies is alright for the odd chuckle each episode but overall it is pretty weak these days - especially since having read interviews where Tim Brooke-Taylor talks about how they were shocked how popular it was with kids here at the time as it was made with an adult audience in mind.

Hey Bum,

Not sure if your still looking for a pumpkin ale recipe that uses real pumpkin, but here is Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles:

OG - 1.056
IBU - 24
Colour: 12 SRM

11 lbs - Maris Otter (reduce by 2 lbs and add 5 lbs cooked pumpkin, if using real pumpkin)
.5 - Aromatic
.5 - Crystal 40
.5 - Crystal 120
.25 - Special Roast

Hops
Kent Goldings - 1.2 oz

Spices (ground dry)
Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
Ginger - 1/4 tsp
Nutmeg - 1/8 tsp
All Spice - 1/8 tsp

Yeast - WLP 002

Mash at 154F

Hope this helps.

Cheers SJ

Ah, you're a legend, Supra-Jim! Reading other people's opinions so far had led me to narrow my recipe down to either the Zymurgy one goomboogo mentioned or the BCS one but I hadn't seen a proper version of the originals yet - only peoples' "improved" versions. That one looks pretty much like what I think I'm after. Thanks. Recipe saved.

Now to decide whether I roast it and chuck it in the mash or roast it then do a cereal mash first as some recommend. Oh, and I guess I've gotta find room for it in the brewing schedule. Perhaps I'll be seasonally appropriate and wait for late autumn? Probably pretty hard slog getting through a fermenter full through 30 degree weather.

what do people like to have with there chilli con carne?

rice
potato
corn chips
tortillas

???????

Rice and tortilla chips (oh yes, I went there)

Potato is bloody weird.

Rice and tortilla chips (oh yes, I went there)

Potato is bloody weird.

It would be all right on top of a baked pototo... goes really well with sweet pototo!

i was thinking rice... but not both but I think my little girl will like that.

goes really well with sweet pototo!
At the risk of developing a theme in No Topic, I often put pumpkin in my chilli and it is pretty nice so I can see the flavours might work but serving chilling with a hole potato is weird, katie. You are angering the mighty food gods.

Bum,

Just roast then mash up and add to the mash (this is method i heard discussed on one of the BN's Sunday Session about 18months ago)

Thanksgiving is not too far away and it could be a nice themed beer for that if you and your missus pay any kind of homage to that tradition. BTW sweet potato or pumpkin pie goes down well at any time of year and this beer seems to have a pretty similar flavour. Think dessert beer.

Cheers SJ

Yeah, a thanksgiving/christmas crossover beer was the original idea (hence me looking at them now) but I'm realising that with the beers I have planned something I want to brew more would need to be bumped to make it happen. And yes punching it out for SWMBO by thanksgiving does seem like a nice idea but I know she'd rather cut her face off than drink beer - pumpkin or not. But as I say, SWMBO is American "amongst other things" - her family is less American than she is and Thanksgiving did not feature heavily in her upbringing (but that's too much info, obviously).

The thing that has me slightly worried in regard to pumpkin flavour is that lots of HBers report that the pumpkin is so subtle that a great many brewers seem to omit it completely in favour of the spices only. I've read that the cereal mash seems to bring the flavour out more and I've never done one of those so I'll look into it some more. Maybe I'll just look at using more pumpkin instead.

I'll chase down that podcast when I get closer to making the beer. Thanks.

Bum,

i wouldn't bother chasing down the podcast as it was only something mentioned in passing (5 or so mins in a 2+ hour shit talk session). they were tasting some micro brews and got momentarily sidetracked with a mention of pumpkin beer.

Cheers SJ

Ah. Sounds like me at the moment.

Ah. Sounds like me at the moment.

Yeah, just a lot less dick jokes coming from your corner than the BN Sunday sessions. (lift your game!!!! :ph34r: )

Cheers SJ

(pity i didn't get out to the grain bulk buy pick up, would have been good to meet the man behind the sarcasm)

Latest posts

Back