No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you need to chime in with your negative comments with so many threads here, across the AHB spectrum? Are you really so full of pain & anguish? You come across as the most sour of lemons, and contribute so little of value, in contrast to your smarmy vitriol, which appears many times daily. There's really only one person in the world who thinks you're the cleverest buck in the stable. And he's holding a mirror.... to his own bum. If you need a hug, let me know. We could arrange a positivity bootcamp for you,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :icon_cheers:

You haven't even posted yet but, commentking, I salute you for having the best name on the board (just pipping My Little Pony at the post).

Don't waste it, brah.

You haven't even posted yet but, commentking, I salute you for having the best name on the board (just pipping My Little Pony at the post).

Don't waste it, brah.

son-i-am-disappoint.gif

....not that theres anything wrong with that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I saw that one a while back. Pretty offensive stuff. I guess it is funny in a sorta black-humour way (please no comments on this one, racists) but the bit at the end at the hate-mongering rally thing is really pretty grim.

There is a train strike in Perth... check out the picture of the packed train .... how funny.

article_train2_420x0.jpg

Amongst many other things, SWMBO is American.

I've just walked away from a 15 minute argument with her (that I quite frankly had no interest in) about a question I asked DAYS AGO about the availability of fresh pumpkin there because all the pumpkin beer recipes I've read call for tinned pumpkin - not fresh "AG" pumpkin (even the ones that suggest roasting the pumokin roast this pureed shit). At the time I expressed shock at her assertion of the fact that the only time she saw pumpkins there was at halloween (with faces carved into them).

Apparently this makes me a *********.

Anyway, I'm still looking for a good recipe for a pumpkin ale that doesn't include a tin of cream of pumpkin soup.

Bum, I've got a recipe from Zymurgy (Nov/Dec 2006) that uses fresh pumpkin. I haven't made the beer so can't vouch for the outcome but the grain/pumpkin split by weight is about 50/50. It uses heirloom pumpkin that is roasted prior to adding it to the mash.

Thanks for the heads up, goomboogo! So far all the instances of that recipe I can find that have been posted on forums so far have the fresh pumpkin substituted for canned. Even the people who talk about roasting it use canned - they just spread it out in a baking dish and roast the goop. Bloody weirdos. I'll look again tonight when I've got a bit more trawling time on my hands and I'm sure I'll come up with the goods. If not I'll just do a weight for weight swap back and see how it goes. That recipe seems pretty well regarded. Thanks again.

Its interesting you ask about fresh pumpkin in the US. I watched a film last night (The Cider House Rules) and one of the orphanange kids drew a picture of a halloween lantern, then asked why you only see pumpkins once a year. Weird that the beer recipes you see call for tinned pumpkin, maybe in America the fresh ones are all reserved for halloween or the canning factory :)

The pumpkins in America are only sold at Haloween as they are for show only. Most of the flesh has being bred out of the pumpkin so you end up with a watery stringy pumpkin.

The pumpkins in America are only sold at Haloween as they are for show only. Most of the flesh has being bred out of the pumpkin so you end up with a watery stringy pumpkin.

also, they quite often refer to 'pumpkin' they eat as sqash(butternut pumpkin in most cases). Pumpkins are for carving, squash for eating. :p

Same deal in the UK when i was living there as a kid (short lived). My mum and i where in a tesco and she asked if they had pumpkin. The store assistant goes "pumpkin?! why do you want pumpkin, tis not HALLOWEEEEEEEEEEEEN!"

One of the funniest things i had heard while i was over there. That and the shock and awe that we eat 'shark' from fish and chip shops. :icon_cheers:

also, they quite often refer to 'pumpkin' they eat as sqash(butternut pumpkin in most cases). Pumpkins are for carving, squash for eating. :p

Same deal in the UK when i was living there as a kid (short lived). My mum and i where in a tesco and she asked if they had pumpkin. The store assistant goes "pumpkin?! why do you want pumpkin, tis not HALLOWEEEEEEEEEEEEN!"

One of the funniest things i had heard while i was over there. That and the shock and awe that we eat 'shark' from fish and chip shops. :icon_cheers:

Same here... in the UK a few years back couldn't even find pumpkin soup. Asking for pumpkin, "pumpkin?? that's pig food!!"

my wife was quite offended :ph34r:

also, they quite often refer to 'pumpkin' they eat as squash (butternut pumpkin in most cases). Pumpkins are for carving, squash for eating. :p

Not true. I've had pumpkin ice-cream there (which was so amazing I couldn't even comprehend what my mouth was telling me) and the tins used in pumpkin beers are label pumpkin, not squash, so they do consider it for eating. But they do call butternut pumpkin butternut squash.

Not arguing with Katie's point that the pumpkins used for Halloween are not good eating. I'm only too ready to believe such a thing.

SWMBO had most certainly eaten pumpkin before coming here but never chunks of it - she (much like presumably everyone she knew) thought it needed to be processed to be edible!

I just dont get why they can all there pumpkin. In Australia I have never seen a can of pumpkin.

Latest posts

Back