No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hand crank mine at the moment. It's not hard (mill master v1) but it's a very boring 10 minutes to crush the grain and clean up afterwards.

I'm going to build a stand with the mill and a motor in it. I won't have to do anything other than flick the switch to grind the grain, and I won't have a mass of dust everywhere.

Obviously it would take a lot of milling to make up for the effort of building the stand, but I enjoy making stuff and don't enjoy cranking the mill.

Adds another couple hundred $$ to the cost of the mill, but it will keep the area cleaner (no dust) and when not in use will be another bench in my workshop. And will give me a place to store my kettle.

And not that I've built it yet, but I don't really envisage there to be much maintenance. Tensioning the belt once in a while will take a few minutes and will probably only have to be done once early in its life and will be just turning a tensioner, and the belt itself will last for years.

And I think I've used the word 'and' a bit too much. Meh.

What's so hard about spending 5 minutes hand milling about 5 kg of grains? I do it the evening before brew day, or early on brewday when the HLT is coming up to temperature. Easy peasy.
I also use the MillMaster 1.
I've never seen the need to spend $$$ to save myself 5 minutes of effort once every 3 to 4 weeks.

It's just a job that i really don't like.

Milling by hand isn't hard, doesn't take much time or a real lot of effort, but I just hate doing it.

I'll be building my mill into a bench so I have another table to use, and storage for brewing bits underneath.

Also means I get to tinker with things, which I like doing.

Got the motor & PSU, just need to get some pulleys and a belt. And put it all together.

I like to automate the bits I can. Anything that makes the brewday easier makes it more enjoyable and less of a chore.

Chippies

Gobbledok.jpg

Bloody SWMBO seems to have volunteered us both to work for the AEC on election day. Oh, it is going to be grand!

That's either equality Katie, or you look like a bloke :eek:

Andrew

I do have short hair but I dont look like a bloke!

Im opening the door for my little girl to go through and then all these other people walk through and my daughter has to wait and this is a child care centre. Happens all the time. I nearly loose it. Im in a hurry to people. Its only taken me 40 minutes to get there and I have another 40 minutes to go until I get to work. and I bet these mothers are going off to have a cup a coffee with a friend! rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

And BUM sucked in!

I'm sure there'll be some loser there to hold the door for me though so it ain't all bad.

I do have short hair but I dont look like a bloke!

Im opening the door for my little girl to go through and then all these other people walk through and my daughter has to wait and this is a child care centre. Happens all the time. I nearly loose it. Im in a hurry to people. Its only taken me 40 minutes to get there and I have another 40 minutes to go until I get to work. and I bet these mothers are going off to have a cup a coffee with a friend! rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

And BUM sucked in!

Well that's just rude.

Andrew

this basically...

Well, I say "volunteered" but apparently we'll both be getting a largish taxfree payment for our services but I'm not looking forward to dealing with the chatty nannas.

Well, I say "volunteered" but apparently we'll both be getting a largish taxfree payment for our services but I'm not looking forward to dealing with the chatty nannas.

It's good money I am told Bum, just look miserable like most of the other "volunteers" and no one will talk to you anyway.

It's good money I am told Bum, just look miserable like most of the other "volunteers" and no one will talk to you anyway.

I'll start practising this one when I get to discuss the matter with SWMBO this evening.

It's good money I am told Bum

Bloody hell. Just found out it is $19.50ph. 6/7 hours they reckon. Hardly worth it. I won't be starting until 5.30 and I won't be counting - I see some menial shit in my future.

Latest posts

Back