No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is pissing rain and I've had to bring the brewday into the laundry. Pics wouldn't show a great deal but dirty clothes and a whole bunch of AG shit sitting on top of each other. I hope it stops raining soon though - I was counting on using the back stairs as my gravity feed for my batch sparge, can't work out how to get the levels I need inside.

It is pissing rain and I've had to bring the brewday into the laundry. Pics wouldn't show a great deal but dirty clothes and a whole bunch of AG shit sitting on top of each other. I hope it stops raining soon though - I was counting on using the back stairs as my gravity feed for my batch sparge, can't work out how to get the levels I need inside.
kitchen bench with something else stacked ontop (1st level), chair (2nd level), floor (3rd).

it aint pretty but it should work. get a pump mate. pumps rock!

carn pics are needed. even if its just to show off your gear and your pink gstrings. :ph34r: :lol:

Yeah, already thought of that but don't wanna run the italian spiral inside. I can boil under a veranda out front but the stairs I was counting on are out back. I guess I'll chuck a table out front for sparge/boil.

Cocked up already, but. Forgot to pre-warm my tun so I've lost a few degrees on my planned mash temp. I guess it'll just be a little drier than intended at 65deg.
DSCN1190.JPG

kitchen bench with something else stacked ontop (1st level), chair (2nd level), floor (3rd).

it aint pretty but it should work. get a pump mate. pumps rock!

carn pics are needed. even if its just to show off your gear and your pink gstrings. :ph34r: :lol:
Why is Bum brewing in pink g-strings? Despite the wedgies and discomfort, can you imagine the splash burns?

:lol:

Why is Bum brewing in pink g-strings? Despite the wedgies and discomfort, can you imagine the splash burns?

WB, he's using an italian spiral. Bums a smart man, he doesnt want any tan lines! :lol:

Hey, it is a stressful time. I need to be comfortable with myself first and foremost.

Wow. The thermometer looks really close to the ball valve in that picture. There's plenty of room to get both off if and when required.

myth busted. bum does actually brew beer. i'm going to sleep better tonight.

Sorry if I have shattered anyone's illusions.

nice little sparkle on the urn there bum.

good call re not running the burner inside. I kind of forgot about that one.

so whats brewing?

Well since it is my first time using any of this gear I thought I'd keep it simple - I'm making a smoked chocolate porter.

I know it is probably a dumb idea but I was drinking a Schlenkerla one day around Easter and ate some dark chocolate with it and have been obsessed with this idea ever since.

Sure, I could have done a DSGA like everyone else but where's the fun in that?

Well since it is my first time using any of this gear I thought I'd keep it simple - I'm making a smoked chocolate porter.

I know it is probably a dumb idea but I was drinking a Schlenkerla one day around Easter and ate some dark chocolate with it and have been obsessed with this idea ever since.

i am yet to do a DSGA. my first brew with my rig was an aussie style rice lager with multiple decoctions. just for shits and giggles. (and b/c I was flying blind with the new rig havig to fix issues, rather than just intentional).

i like the sounds of the smoked choc porter. good work mate

Not guilty, your honour!

My first AG was an Aussie Ale with a little too much crystal, and a starch haze that hung around like a bad smell. Still tasted like mothers milk.

6 AG's in, I suppose I should brew a Dr S, but am going through a stout phase at the moment (beers, not my waistline. Oh, ok, my waistline as well.)

3 brews scheduled for the weekend and not a SSGA in sight..... An Alt, my Vicbrew entry, and a golden strong.

FARK!
I'm royally in the shite!

I've got 2 jobs going up today ment to be starting a third tomorrow (which is already delayed) plus I need to have a couple of guys head to a little job with a crane truck (big crane truck though - 29meters of reach!) tomorrow. Boys just called from one of todays jobs they've been rained off and one of the boys didnt show up because he's crook.
BAH too many jobs not enough crew!

Then to make matters worse I've got two more jobs running late as buggery (like 2 + weeks late) that another company is doing for us on a sub contract basis.

I fricken hate being the "boss" when the real boss is away on holidays OS!

Shit, the boil went mental and even keeping the flame yellow I couldn't control my boil off rate. Ended up getting about 75% of what I expected into the cube. Expected OG was 1047 but it is actually 1060. No idea what my efficiency is though so not sure how much of that difference to attribute to boil off. Probably most of it based on volume difference.

I know it is early days yet but even with a significantly more concentrated wort than expected I am getting nothing from the weyermann smoked malt and I had it in there up to 60%. Hopefully fermentation will bring it forward rather than scrub it out completely.

Back