No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I'll be trying them when I see em.
Where do you get them from? I'll be searching the little asian grocery in town tofay.

I got mine from Tianjing supermarket in Sanya, China. And not actually Pringles brand but the same thing - that reconsituted potato shit. So, yeah, wouldn't hold my breath on finding any locally.

Just got back from Sanya, China today and it was...good...? Yeah, it was good. I'm glad we got to go but there were some serious downsides. It was the most uncomfortable place on earth. The coolest (overnight) it got there was 29C/84F. Fucken yuck. Humidity got up to 94% and no lower than 76%. Fucken yucker. Sun was almost as harsh as here. That sounds doable but I don't walk around all day in shorts, tee and thongs here - if I'm in the sun I can cover up because the humidity isn't a ridiculous 94%.

We were there for family stuff and the family stuff went well - that specific family stuff anyway. You can't keep everyone happy but most of the important stuff went great.

The food was pretty much amazing. There were some duds, obviously, but my clearest memories of the place were the great food. And the weird food - sandworms, quartered frogs, pig stomach, fish stomach, turtle soup. You'd just rock up to some street vendor and pick your ingredients (mostly dead, thankfuck) and your food would be there in minutes. Cheap as **** all too. I mean proper cheap. We'd regularly get bills for 6 people that were less than $30.

The place was pretty dirty though. People would have their little kids shit in the street/mall floors. There was this red stuff all over the ground everywhere, and I do mean everywhere that was from some fruit that people use like chewing tobacco or something? Anyway, the entire place looked like a paintball field with the shit gobbed on the ground. I did manage to avoid squat toilets for the whole time however so I will never know exactly how dirty the place can be.

I am the most amusing person on the planet. Everywhere I would go people would just stare at me. Or laugh and point (you'd think I'd be used to that by now). But to be fair, I must say that even at an only slightly taller than average 183cm/6ft I felt like an absolute giant there. I felt no concern when members of my group got away from me in crowds in unfamiliar places because I could never see heads less than 100m away. I needed to buy a shirt for a wedding banquet there and had to go up to size XL and even then I had to adjust the shoulders of the shirt to be able to reach forwards properly. And even though the people I work with make me feel quite slight of build I do look almost barrel-chested by comparison in many of the group/crowd photos I have seen. So yeah, I guess my point is I knew I'd look out of place and people would notice but I assumed I would be received as a novelty of sorts but some people were genuinely "WTF?" which was weird.

Oh god, the traffic was a nightmare. I have no idea how to do the horrors of crossing the street on foot justice. Have you ever played Frogger? Play it with only one dude.

Most of that looks kinda negative but I did (on average) have a good time but I dunno if I'd recommend anyone go there without a good reason.

Oh yeah. You wanna know the weirdest thing? Despite the ridiculous humidity and heat it is almost impossible to buy a cold drink. And ice is almost unheard of. But you can get hot tea (for free) almost everywhere.

yessss to finally being able to let the cat out.....

wifes 12 weeks pregnant today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! first junior brewer/brewess for us.

Massive biggups and thanks to the crew at Monash IVF. We went through hell and back to get here and these people worked a miracle. like a proper miracle. sooooo happy and excited.

wifes 12 weeks pregnant today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! first junior brewer/brewess for us.

Massive biggups and thanks to the crew at Monash IVF. We went through hell and back to get here and these people worked a miracle. like a proper miracle. sooooo happy and excited.

Congratulations to you both!

Congratulations Fents and Mrs Fents, you have a lot to look forward to, get plenty of sleep while you can :super: thank Heaven for the miracle of modern medicine.

Cheers
Andrew

Congrats to you both, you have some awesome times ahead of you. Time to start thinking about a celebtratory brew me thinks?

bum, did you have any beer over there?

Sadly, yes. 3 types of Tsing Tao, Anchor Red Crown, Stoutbeer, Pearl River Draught and a couple without any English on them at all so I have no clue what they were. With the exception of Anchor and Stoutbeer, they all tasted like air. The Anchor tasted of boiled vegetables and Stoutbeer tasted like a super thin porter mixed with sarsaparilla. 'orrible place.

hey fentsy. congrats man. thats awsome news. something else to celebrate at the caseswap!

hey fentsy. congrats man. thats awsome news. something else to celebrate at the caseswap!

At the moment you eventually die and the life flashes, the thing you will be guaranteed to remember is the sight of your offspring emerging and looking between its legs to see what you ended up with :lol: (dont' trust ultrasounds)

ALDI has a big DVD sale on, actually recoginisable titles and not the usual "From Grace to Downfall" or "Punk zombie exit" and other completely unknown movies. So I'm going to fire up the player and watch Groundhog Day in ten minutes when I have washed the fermenter. Woooot.

Well done buddy!

Dire straights, dudes.

Due to travel and work commitments over the last couple months I am completely out of HB. Due to being completely out of HB I drank the remaining 80% of my US haul of top shelf shit. Due to being completely out of beer I'm considering drinkjng the last 1/4 of a bottle of white the missus has had in the fridge for cooking purposes. Should I do it?

Before you judge me realise that I hate my job so much (and the people who work there) that I'm trying to work up the courage to quit without having made any alternate arrangements. And also realise that it is already in my glass (and mouth).

So SWMBO tells me I should drink it as quickly as possible as it is (more) disgusting as it warms.

Then I remember this bottle has only been used for cooking once. Where did the rest of it go, hmmm?

So SWMBO tells me I should drink it as quickly as possible as it is (more) disgusting as it warms.

Then I remember this bottle has only been used for cooking once. Where did the rest of it go, hmmm?
Dead sure I mentioned this before, but I love to hate this story.

We went to a friends place for dinner, I gave the host a bottle of wine, who then opened it and poured a considerable amount into the cooking pot. I was stunned. Honestly I didn't know what to say.... F#K it was a bottle from the hunter.
Later on we ran out of wine. His wife suggested the casks on the fridge, and he replied "no that's for cooking!"
To this day I wish I punched him in the mouth right there and then. The twat.

So how many empty kegs & crates of bottles need filling, Bum?
As punishment, buy yourself a slab of megaswill, to remind you what happens when you run out.

Super news mate. best news all week! Caseswap pre-headwetting in July proves to be big...

France out of the world cup. Now thats Karma for you. Thiery Henry only got them qualified into it by cheating against Ireland.
Cheers
Steve

Why would you go and spoil your life by, nope congrats mate but im sure we will all be able to help pre-wet the head come next month.

Me, My wife and 2 boys are expecting a third due November so we are in the same boat somewhere up the brown river.

Catch you soon

Kleiny

Back