No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, was it silken tofu? If it was, get yourself a good Mapo Tofu recipe: http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/2940/ma-po-tofu

If it was hard firm tofu that you could throw against a wall and it would unlikly break, stirfry that with kai lan, garlic, ginger and some shao xing wine. thats it. Maybe dress it with soy and sesame oil.

If its puffed tofu.. Laksa and curries and mayyyybe a noodle stirfry. thats all i use it in.

:beerbang:
I was wanting to make puffed tofu and bought silken? Tofu. Do I need tp buy tofu that says puffed tofu on it? It was goingbin curry. I bought tofu and shallow fried it hoping it would go puffy. See what I mean about going all weird without beer and not knowing WTF doing with tofu, weird fkn soy bean stuff that makes MSG as a side product.

I was wanting to make puffed tofu and bought silken? Tofu. Do I need tp buy tofu that says puffed tofu on it? It was goingbin curry. I bought tofu and shallow fried it hoping it would go puffy. See what I mean about going all weird without beer and not knowing WTF doing with tofu, weird fkn soy bean stuff that makes MSG as a side product.

yeah you buy pre-puffed tofu. if you just fry or deepfry silken tofu it gets a crispy coating and still soft snot block in the center. i dont even know how they puff it.

So tell me how to fkn cook tofu properly. I bought tofu. Heated oil and dumped tofu into oil. It didn't puff or go brown. Did I buy wrong tofu? It looked like fetta cheese.

Ok.. that's easy. Lift out tofu and let warn to room temp. Open packet. Place contents gently in the bin. Go to fridge. Lift out steak. You can probably work the rest out from there.

Cheers
Dave

Ok.. that's easy. Lift out tofu and let warn to room temp. Open packet. Place contents gently in the bin. Go to fridge. Lift out steak. You can probably work the rest out from there.

Cheers
Dave
So glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. Pffft, tofu, go hug a tree and move on fellas.

edit: oh, I hear there is a sale on at DJ's for evening dresses, just thought you might be interested.

I've never been able to understand the rationale behind cooking edible rubber, even less trying to consume it. ;) :p :D

I can't help but post.... all you tofu haters can not cook properly! if its cooked well its beautiful! It's not just a meat replacement!
ahhh KT, silent for so long and after tofu is mentioned you emerge :D

how are u girl?

PS fried silken tofu tastes no where near as good as puffed tofu. if only i had known that you buy it pre puffed. oh well see how it tastes toonight in the pork and pineapple curry

edit: i obviously took too long to post as she's deleted her post :(

I did delete it! I'm bloody hopeless! I'm weaning myself!

The tofu puffs are fantastic in any laksa or curry!.... you can buy them in the fridge section of any chinese grocer. They also freeze really well! I love putting them in Mussuman curries.

Silken tofu you need to be careful with and is fantastic in mapo tofu

cooking_013.jpg

When stirring be careful other wise it break and looks unattractive.

The firm tofu is best for stir frys or salt and pepper tofu which is devine. You take that out of the packet drain the water, put a tea towel over it and put something heavy on it! the water will drain out of it! Then cut up and fry!

try this

Salt and Pepper tofu (one of my favourite asian dishes)

Serves 2
Ingredients

* vegetable oil
* 250 g silken tofu Cut into 8/or firm
* 1 tablespoon White pepper
* 1 tablespoon sea salt
* 4 tablespoons Plain Flour

Method

1. Crush the salt and pepper in a mortar and pestle, add the flour and mix.
2. Gently mix the tofu pieces through the seasoned flour and place aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or deep pot until hot but not smoking. It should be at 180 C.
4. Gently fry the tofu until a golden crust forms then remove from the oil and drain on absorbent paper.

I would add spring onions and shallots also!

And CM2 Im fantastic, really happy!

I really, really do not like tofu. Makes me shudder to even utter the word

I really, really do not like tofu. Makes me shudder to even utter the word
lets start the tofu argument again!

HB79 i was like you and hated the stuff but i had the puffed tofu in a dish at Laksme (melb cbd) and it was actually pretty bloody good. it sucked up a lot of the flavours of the curry and was crisp. thats what i was trying to replicate.

salt and pepper tofu huh? im not convinced, but i do have some schezwan pepper at home so I could experiment with that.

Vegan mate of mine makes scrambled tofu and mushrooms for weekend brekkies.

Loved it.

I'm disappointed when a laksa doesnt have tofu in it. Its like a sponge to soak up all the gravy!

SWMBO cooks it alot (being a veggie), I can't even bare the smell of it, and to touch it is like pushing on a dead womans breast. Although I can't claim that she cooks it the way it's supposed to be, because I wouldn't have a clue. But I've been scared for life from when I first tried it about 8 years ago.

:lol: :lol: Well, when I was a kid back in Sydney.....

Kidding, just what I imagine it would be like I guess

So are you telling me my x would of being more use to me if he was dead? :D opps!
bazinga

not sure that all this willy and boob talk is appropriate while we are all at work!

Vegan mate of mine makes scrambled tofu and mushrooms for weekend brekkies.
ill be having real eggs and mushies for breakky tomorrow thanks. have some lovely oyster mushies, eggs fresh from a chook bum (thx to a work colleague) and will try and bang out a loaf of bread tonight to have with it.

bloody hell im hungry now.

Latest posts

Back