No Gas coming out of brand new full CO2 cylinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem solved, KK got back to me this morning with the solution.

They are actually shipped with a brass safety valve screwed into the stem that needs to be removed. when you look in the end it looks like its meant to be there, but there is a brass valve with a hex head.

Feel slightly stupid but glad it was so simple.
So now gas is full and working, my dip tubes are blocked with hop flowers ... :doofus:
Crap - see non functional residual pressure valve.
Mark

It is there so that the bottle never gets completely empty, keeping Oxygen and moisture out of the bottle so it doesn't rust.
If you have a steel bottle it needs testing every 5 years, with a working residual pressure valve, it is a 10 year test cycle like an Aluminium bottle.
Don't worry I handed a Worksafe (whatever they were called that year) inspector a bag with 1.5kg of faulty brass RP valves. Personally I think the Al bottles are way better quality and value, I have a 4.5kg MKOL bottle that is up for testing soon, I'm confident it will pass, cant say that about a lot of the 10 year old steel kegs I have seen.
I'm surprised Worksafe hasn't had someone in court yet, faulty safety devices are pretty serious, but they really only deal with sales to industry, or after someone gets hurt (then it gets hilarious...)
Mark

Speaking of getting hurt, as an FYI, you may wish to refer to this Kegland resource if you want to minimise the chances of a (literal) bullet to the head.

http://www.kegland.com.au/magento/m...lve RPV Adjustment Home Brew Gas Cylinder.pdf

A friend had a no flow issue, didn't know to release the pressure (and couldn't have anyway, as it was done up too tight).

RPV removal was...interesting.

Apparently following the directions in the link has completely resolved the RPV flow issue.

Their braver than me, if you are selling a product with a known fault you are obligated to fix it, if someone gets hurt they will go a row.
Legally its like selling a new car, with a website link to how to fix the brakes - because we know we sell new cars with faulty brakes and you might need to fix them - FFS.
Mark

Seems to be a common issue on the Keg King bottles.

I also brought a Keg Land one, but havent used that yet.

Just had the same issue. Pulled out the extra valve. It shot across my shed nicely but now back on the gas..
Will reinstall the RPV tomorrow and adjust as per Keg Land PDF

Last edited:
There is a small flat head screw in the middle of the valve, use it to release the pressure before removing the valve

Your Rpv is too too tight. Just push a pin slowly into the hex bit in your cylinder to release the pressure. Then half turn back the Rpv valve. It will flow after.

Great you found the solution, I had the same problem worked a bit then after putting it in the keezer she wouldn'd push gas out I thought it got to cold, I just undone that valve a bit and got the gas flowing then turned the top tap off and hooked up my regulator and left it out of the keezer. The brass bit is still in there but the gas is going nicely.

That's interesting. Last year I bought a kegerator system from someone who had been given it as a present. Everything worked except the gas bottle. I took it to get filled up but they couldn't fill it. It had never been usewd before. Looking at where I attach the screw in gas line, I can see right through to the vertical stem attached to the top wheel that I use to turn the gas on and off. This wheel just rotates easily and does not do anything. it just rotates. At the top of the wheel is a six sided nut that you can move with a shifting spanner and this is different to the gas bottle I've currently got. The system was imported from the US The questions are:

Do I need a PRV that screws into the gas outlet?

Just hooked up new reg to new full gas bottle, manifold and some tubes/gas connects. Everything worked well and fixed a leak (loose hex nut on the gas bottle).
However after I connected one of my disconnects to my full kegs the High Pressure gauge dropped to ~250 and won't budge.

I have tried disconnecting again, releasing pressure, changing pressure, etc.
What could the issue be and how would I fix? Gas is flowing fine, and I can hear it going into the keg. The gas bottle is still heavy as well.

I weighed mine before I put it on and it was about 11.2 kilos. My high pressure reads about 500 I wouldn't worry to much as at least it has gas in it and you don't really go off the HP gauge for exactly how full it is. If your worried grab it and weigh it it should have the empty bottle weight on it so just see what it is.

I weighed mine before I put it on and it was about 11.2 kilos. My high pressure reads about 500 I wouldn't worry to much as at least it has gas in it and you don't really go off the HP gauge for exactly how full it is. If your worried grab it and weigh it it should have the empty bottle weight on it so just see what it is.
Yeh it weighed around 10.5kg last night. I'll weigh it tonight and see how it's looking and if it's more than 10kg, happy days. Cheers

Latest posts

Back