No Gas coming out of brand new full CO2 cylinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirateagenda

Reaction score
Just had a brand new CO2 cylinder arrive today. hooked my regulator up to it, high pressure side read 1000PSI so it is full. Purged 3 kegs ready to fill and it was fine.
Then when I went to start the transfer nothing happened. Tried upping the pressure to see if I could get it flowing and noticed that both the low and high side were now on 0.
Turned off the tank valve, took the regulator off and slowly turned the tank valve back on. Nothing.
The cylinder is heavy and I bought it as full and it did show the 1000PSI on the high pressure side when I first hooked it up. has filled 3 corny kegs to 10PSI and thats it so I know the cylinder isn't empty
Any ideas?

its not overly cold.

and if it was iced up wouldn't it be stuck on open?

Is there no flow at all? What kind of cylinder is it? I'm thinking that it's a stuck valve

I would say that the value head is faulty is the tap in good nick?

I'm wondering if somehow the tap isn't acting on the valve

the tap seems ok. it turns both ways no worries, and it was working momentarily. The thing is that it was open when it stopped working, so is there some kind of emergency shut off in them if the main valve goes or something?

Unsure, I know that there are valves that will shut off gas in the event of sudden pressure loss but I would only expect to see that with flammable gas. Have you got some scales to weigh the cylinder?

yep its 20KG for a 6kg cylinder.

And the high pressure gauge went from near 1000 to empty within a minute without any gas rushing out

i'd say you're right. fricken annoying on a brand new cylinder (especially because i've got 60L of IPA awaiting transfer to cornies for the last week)

for what it's worth i had a MKOL bottle where a valve failed

it was leaking in the off position after 1 days use

Craftbrewer swapped it for another no drama

Are you near k**k***? They should be happy to swap it out for you. All of my experiences have been pretty bad with them but they have always made good.

Odds on , its empty. If you hold it horizontal and tilt it back and forward if there is liquid CO2 in it you should feel/hear it sloshing back and forward.
With some of the early KK bottles there were some real quality concerns, had some that were full of swarf (metal from cutting the thread), cutting oil/wax... not to mention all the non functional residual pressure devices (different issue)

The valve could be non functional, the internals could be blocked with crap, but odd are its empty.
You could try very carefully loosening the cover on the burst disk, just to see if there is pressure there, just think very carefully first, Loosen don't remove, if you do there is no way to stop all the gas coming out at full pressure, odds are the disk cover will take off like a bullet and the bottle will go the other way, you don't want to be in front of either - nor the 6kg or so of freezing CO2.

Mark

ever thought of taking off the regulator and cracking the valve..open/close..to see if gas available

Know someone who had a welding gas cylinder had the same problem they took back and when dropped on concrete the gas started coming out is there anyway that they can be blocked.

Problem solved, KK got back to me this morning with the solution.

They are actually shipped with a brass safety valve screwed into the stem that needs to be removed. when you look in the end it looks like its meant to be there, but there is a brass valve with a hex head.

Feel slightly stupid but glad it was so simple.

So now gas is full and working, my dip tubes are blocked with hop flowers ... :doofus:

Back