No Chill/... Some Chill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brown_hound

Reaction score
Hey all...

Can't find what I'm looking for so thought I'd hit up the beer brewing supercomputer...

Turn off the grill, I know what no chilling is...

Take for example my situation, that is, one without a wort cooler...

Usually after the boil I do a flame out addition and let the wort sit for halfa or so.

That's the point I throw the pot in a full bath of tap water temperature water. This usually drops the temperature to about 30 degrees after about 1-1.5 hours... Then I throw the brewinto the temp-controlled chestie...

I'm big on aroma hops... would the halfa, plus 1, 1-5 hours constitute a no chill?

Ta, Hound

Flame suit on as this has been covered before. I do basically the same thing. I chuck my cube in the pool - I haven't had any drama's and I do set my hopping regime to the brewmate no chill setting and am getting good results (for my taste)......... IMHO we are "sorta chillers" .....
Cheers
BBB

we are "sorta chillers" .....

WORD! Haha..

As far as I read, the number one killer of hop aroma is no chilling...

Anyone with experience as far as the aroma aspect of the no chill?

Does said 2ish hours hurt the aroma?

TY, Hound

No, it doesn't constitute a no- chill IMO, in that situation so there's no need to adjust the hops additions IMO. Have done exactly the same thing as you until just lately* and to be honest, you've got the simplest and perhaps the most effective wort cooling on the planet- be grateful for it! If I could lift my stinking hot 36L kettle into the laundry tub I would! Failing that, an immersion or plate chiller would be the go.
* Now that I'm no- chilling again, the ales with late hops have been a little bit 'meh', quite a bit 'meh' in fact, so much so that I'm starting to brew lagers instead.

I found that without changing the hop regime for no chill, the bitterness becomes overpowering. I just keg hop for aroma if I want it. Aroma you can fiddle with after the fact (cube hop/keg hop, methode de argonaise (sp)) bitterness is like herpes - your stuck with it brother
Cheers
BBB

I found that without changing the hop regime for no chill, the bitterness becomes overpowering. I just keg hop for aroma if I want it. Aroma you can fiddle with after the fact (cube hop/keg hop, methode de argonaise (sp)) bitterness is like herpes - your stuck with it brother
Cheers
BBB

Cheers for the info fellas...

BBB? That's why there's a pack of Ansells in my latest fermentor.

Yeah, that's fair point BBB, what I really meant to relate was that for late- hopped beers there's no need to adjust those later additions or treat them in a different manner to use them effectively in the laundry tub chilling regime. IMO, 20 minutes to half an hour is plenty of rest before dropping it into the tub to start the cooling process, I don't see much point in leaving it any longer. Going from LTC to no- chill would be another matter though, of course.

As far as I read, the number one killer of hop aroma is no chilling...

When I nochill, if the recipe calls for a late addition (less than 20 minutes, or the cube addition), I will run a couple of litres into a saucepan when Im transferring, and do a hop boil, then add back to the fermenter. Easy, and quick.

Definitely not no-chill.

To answer the question I think you're asking:

I have a house apa with loads of late hop additions. When I first made it, I chilled the pot in a bath of iced water. Then I tried no chilling and noticed no difference.

More recently I did a side by side with that recipe with half run through a plate chiller and half no chilled. Fermented side by side, definite difference in bittering and flavour.

Personally I liked the NC better but there was a distinct difference whereas with the pot in water bath (admittedly not tried side by side) there was not a discernible difference.

For my money the best way to still get EXCELLENT hop aroma in a no chilled beer (besides dry hopping) is to cube hop.

Im a no chiller, and if i want to add some aroma hops to a recipe, ill throw them in the cube. Before transfer, or just before you screw the lid on, up to you and your mileage may vary. Works well for me.

For my money the best way to still get EXCELLENT hop aroma in a no chilled beer (besides dry hopping) is to cube hop.

Im a no chiller, and if i want to add some aroma hops to a recipe, ill throw them in the cube. Before transfer, or just before you screw the lid on, up to you and your mileage may vary. Works well for me.

+1 Cube hopping adds a fair amount of aroma and flavour too. I always adjust my schedule 15 minutes and do a hop tea for anything under 15 minutes. Dead easy, quick and the tea give tons of aroma. If you add the tea 70%-80% through fermentation it tends to be stronger as fermentation does scrub some of the volatiles.

YMMV B)

I put my wort in a cube let it cool there

Been a while since last brew but it was a American cream ale

bittering hops plus a bit of flavour hops

only in the low 20s ibu came out a winner

to me the way I brew allways cc is more bitter

plus one for cube hoping yes

Has anyone done a 10 min ipa by cube hopping nochill? I was thinking cube hop 60% and argon method the rest.

I dry hop when I want huge hop flavour and aroma.

Has anyone done a 10 min ipa by cube hopping nochill? I was thinking cube hop 60% and argon method the rest.

I was contemplating trying this in one of my next few brews. Instead of the 10min addition, just chuck them all in the cube (plus maybe a little extra incase the IBU's drop a bit) and see how it turns out

worst that happens is you get a whole lotta flavour and aroma and not enough bitterness... then you can scale next time if it all works apart from that

If anyone has actually tried this id be curious to see how it turned out for them

Sponge

I did it. It turned out very hoppy. After a few weeks in the keg it's a little underwhelming actually. Faded pretty fast. I'd put the bitterness I got somewhere around the 10 minute addition mark from just cube hopping. Maybe a trifle more.

It was my first AG beer, and I made a few mistakes with it so i'll be coming back to it when I know a bit more. In future I would dry hop also. The hop profile is a little one dimentional and I really like the juicy, resiny qualities that dry hopping gives...

Cheers for the response jbowers.

It's good to know that it does work and sounds as though the hop schedule does not need to be changed too much as compared to the single 10min addition.

But as you say, theres really only one way to get tha real dry hopped aroma and mouth feel, and that is with dry hopping...

I think Ill definitely be trying this method, possibly half with dry hopping, half without, and just get a feel for the difference in aroma and flavour.

Either way, I'm a little excited :icon_cheers:

Sponge

Latest posts

Back