No Chill - Process and questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
This is the first time I have attempted the ‘no chill’ process and from my readings of this topic on here, this is what I have done and will do, I am looking for confirmation/ advice:

1. Brewed as per normal and while still hot just after flame out transferred from boil vessel into a sanitised 25L water cube (the rectangle one rather than the round one)

2. Sealed lids and left in cool garage for about a week

3. I plan to dump straight into the fermenter and add yeast (when/if) at the correct temp and ferment away and then rack into secondary as normal.

4. I then plan to put it into keg.

Questions arising:

A. Can I put it into keg with a little bit of CO2 and leave it in the garage which is pretty cool and constant? (as I only have a kegerator and I have found [surprise surprise] that fermenting in the fridge at a set temp gives better beers – and I only have one of these, so I need to allocate time to fermenting prior to putting in the kegs to pour as I have a second brew that I want to do as well to have two beers on tap)

B. What is the maximum amount of time that a beer can stay in a keg in these conditions before being taped?

C. How long can a beer stay in the no chill container for?

A - Yes
B - I've had beers sit in a keg in a cool corner for 6 months and they still tasted great
C - People have had no chill beers sit in cubes for a year or 2 and turn out alright, myself the longest I've done it is 3 months

will get in and say it before someone else.

if fridge space limitations are interrupting the process and scheduling of more beer, get more fridge space!

other than that you should be right with what you propose. I would however consider Natural Carbonation of kegs that will be sitting at room temp for an extended period. be sure to seal the keg with a shot of CO2 though!

Cheers,
D80

What is your normal process after flameout currently?

What you propose will result in any suspended break material entering your cube. I let mine sit, then whirlpool, then let sit again before transfer so I can drop out as much break as possible. Wort is still above 80 degrees C when it goes into the cube so still plenty hot enough. Have you read this: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/23742-ahb-wiki-the-no-chiller-method-using-a-cube/ ? Unfortunately the article itself is offline but the ensuing discussion should contain useful tidbits.

No idea about kegs but I believe it has been suggested by others before. It's probably discussed somewhere in the link I gave you. I leave mine one or two days before pitching - mostly because I'm keen to get on with it but I have left a week and many people for months or years (in cube)

After the boil, I place the lid back on the urn & let it sit for 30mins, then transfer to your sanitized no chill cube.

A: Get yourself a designated fermenting fridge & run it with an STC 1000 or similar temp controller.
B: I wouldn't transfer to the keg unless you want to naturally carb the keg. All Grain beer has no preservatives so can spoil. Leave them in the no chill cubes until you are ready to ferment, then keg & keep it in the serving fridge.
C: They can keep for at least a couple of years but it's best to ferment as soon as possible. I am fermenting one today that is over 3 months old.

You don't need to leave it a week, just long enough to cool. As long as there are no air leaks, there shouldn't be any problem storing a no chill cube (as above).

I currently prime my kegs with a bit of dex and leave it till I have space (high density living I will not miss). I haven't tried leaving them sit uncarbed, I just felt natural carb was a better option.

Mate don't go from boil straight into the cube. Read Manticles post!

Back