No Chill - in a Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuz

Reaction score
Just researching gear and techniques for BIAB / No Chill methods - is it an option at all to use Coppers Fermenter (non airlock model) instead of Cubes?

The idea is:
1) Make wort, transfer while still >85C to Fermenter (26L), put the lid on and let it cool overnight
2) If using new Yeast - take 0.5L of wort, mix with chilled water 1L and make a Starter; Or use existing (already active) colony
3) Once Fermenter is cooled overnight, pitch the active Starter

Instead of messing around with the Cubes I thought this may be a goer? I realise contamination is more of a risk but considering with some yeast strains having lag times of over 24 hours, this method could work as the Yeast will be ready @ pitch time (same contamination risk as lagging yeast)?

Why not do it the other way around and ferment in the cube? I've been doing that the last 6 months and have stuck the old coopers fv in the closet. I attached a gas post to the cube lid and use that to vent to a blow off bucket during fermentation and then use it to pump co2 into the cube after cold crashing to equalise the vacuum prior to packaging. Seems to work well and has the advantage of being very low infection risk...

Hey Wobbly,
I no longer use Coopers fermenter as nowdays I pressure ferment / do closed transfers / keg.
So I guess the idea behind this is to use Cooper's fermenter to chill whatever the batch size is, and then transfer to Fermentasaurus.
Fermentasaurus is PET so it cannot take more than 50C but for Cooper's it's not a problem since it's HDPE.

Back