No chill cubing then using it for a fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigwilk

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing some smaller batches using a 15 litre cube witch holds 17 litres when completely full . I will be transferring hot wort from the kettle into the cube letting it cool and letting all the break and hop matter settle to the bottom, all sounds pretty normal so far but instead of transferring into the fermenter I was just going to open the tap to dump out a few litres of trub and make some head space in the cube, then I will pitch the yeast and shake the crap out of it and let it ferment out in the cube, Just wondering is anybody else doing this and what luck have you had with it.

Cheers.

Yeah mate. Been doing it for a while, wrote an article on it for the article wiki. A number of other brewers do as well. You'd be surprised how little headspace you really need.

I have used my cube as a fermenter but the distortion wrecks any measurements you make on the side for how much wort is in the cube. I'm gonna buy myself 2 extra cubes (jerry cans)

At ~$20 each it's not that expensive.

Latest posts

Back