Mash starting to ferment in no chill what should I do

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brisie

Reaction score
3 days ago I did a brew what happened was I took 15-20 litres from the mash wert without boiling and just cubed it from mash out.
The idea was just keep the sweet wort and use it with a tin can of homebrew ginger beer when the fermenter was free again save adding sugar.
Problem is the cube has decided to ferment on its own with no yeast added and the fermenzillas busy for another week. Don't know how this is going to end do most wild yeasts end infected?

The whole point of No Chill is to use the Boiling wort to help sanitise the cube and prevent infection. By not boiling it you've allowed it more risk to get infected, it may not be wild yeast it could be anything.

You could add some yeast and ferment in the cube but sounds like it's unhooked. You could pull it out and give it a quick boil to kill anything and then cube it again correctly. However it may not be salvageable, how long had it been fermenting for?

If fermentation is liberating gas, wild yeast is very likely at work. If you let it ferment, there's a chance that it will turn out alright, if not in the way you planned. Or taste the wort. If there'e already no noticeable off flavour, you could bring it to >80 C for a few minutes, cool and pitch yeast. If there are off flavours, now, dump.

Wild-yeast beers can, with luck, be rewarding, but starting out it's a crap shoot: The Oxford Companion to Beer Definition of wild yeast

Whatever you do, sanitise the cube well. Phosphoric sanitisers are not the best choice against wild yeasts.

Almost certianly a Lacto infection in there (maybe as well as yeast).
If you have ever smelt a mash a day or two later you will know that mashout temperatures dont kill Lacto.
Mark

You could add some yeast and ferment in the cube but sounds like it's unhooked. You could pull it out and give it a quick boil to kill anything and then cube it again correctly. However it may not be salvageable, how long had it been fermenting for?
It was a brand new bladder from Kegland I used. Just happened to notice a lot of gas inside this morning and bubbling. I would have thought yeast would be dead at 70C going into the bladder.
Thanks I didn't think of boiling after 3 days slow start and the gas doesn't smell bad Id have a good chance.

IMG_20211106_095031.jpg
IMG_20211106_095101.jpg

Quite surprising how quick it can take off. I am making a foreign extra stout and put 650 ml of boiled wort into a litre bottle covered with a single layer of cheese cloth and placed on top of the fridge. Next morning it was starting to ferment.

It was a brand new bladder from Kegland I used. Just happened to notice a lot of gas inside this morning and bubbling. I would have thought yeast would be dead at 70C going into the bladder.
Thanks I didn't think of boiling after 3 days slow start and the gas doesn't smell bad Id have a good chance.

View attachment 121438View attachment 121439
Judging from that pic, it's too late to do anything but let it roll. For sure do not throw more money at it. Most likely it will turn out shit, but see.

I'd say it's a goner brisie but you have nothing to lose by letting it go. You can't salvage it. Next time make sure you put boiling wort straight in, eh?

Back