No chill cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgedgerton

Reaction score
Hi folk, I seem to be getting mixed messages about the suitability of certain no chill cubes. A tech guy from one of the big plastic companies said I definitely need the DG (dangerous goods) rated cubes as the normal ones aren't good for temperatures any higher than 60 degs C. On the other hand other folk have said they have been using the standard HDPE standard food grade cubes without any problem?

The big problem I have is living where the crows fly backwards to keep the sand out of their eyes, and the cost of getting the DG rated containers sent here is very high, so can I get away with using the standard food grade ones?

Lots of brewers use the plain HDPE cubes with success, they can withstand temps of up to 120c for short periods from what ive read.

I've been using the HDPE ones for years without any problem at all. Doesn't seem like there's much difference between them actually, the DG rated ones are made from HDPE anyway.

The only difference with the DG cubes is that they do not have the bung hole pre-drilled so 1 less point of possible infection

I have 1 standard food grade cube that has been used for years and a couple of newer ones.
I normally replace them if they get discolored and I put wort in them at around 90 degrees.
Never had one fail.

I always buy the DG cubes they are a more heavy duty cube but I pressure ferment in mine, the Bunnings ones are only lightweight and plenty of folk use them.

Thanks for your replies. As said, the cost of shipping the DG containers is pretty steep, so I will definitely give the standard food grades ones a go. Normally I use my plate chiller, and even though we aren't in a water shortage where I live at the moment, it still seems pretty wasteful tossing litres of water out (or at best on the garden) in the current situation when I could be doing things a bit better.

I cube and also chill depending on style. I dont see chilling wort a waste of water if you use it , dont pour it down the drain.Just remember as water users we are just moving it around, it aint going to leave the planet. Enjoy....

I've never bought cubes as such.
I've bought fresh worts from home brew shops and reused their cubes.
So I have a shit load of 16L cubes. I concentrate the beer in beersmith and double batch into cubes.
Or single batch through a chiller into fermentor depending on the beer.
Never given a thought as to what plastic is was.

I've found whatever goes in first will take smell priority. So I limit my cubes to vodka neutral spirits only, light beers, dark beers and sours.
Mix of new and wort kit cubes.
Best Aussie brewer invention in decades the ol no chill

Latest posts

Back