No bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toughen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been reading for a while but first post/brew.

I put together my first home brew on Sunday:

- Coopers Pale Ale
- Deliverance Yeast 11g (the people at TWOC said I should use this)
- "Premium Sugar Mix" from TWOC (500g Light Malt, 250g Dextrose, 250g Corn Syrup)

Anyway, it's now Tuesday and my airlock is not bubbling. There seems to be mixed responses from people regarding whether this is a problem or not.

This might sound dumb but I wasn't sure when adding the yeast what I was supposed to do. I sprinkled the yeast across the surface and it seemed to sit on the foam. Is this correct or was I meant to mix it in? The temperature of the wort was about 25 degrees at the time and it is now fairly consistent at about 18-20 degrees. The airlock seems to have positive pressure in the fermenter so I guess that is a start.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Sprinkling on the surface is fine, no need to mix it in. There's discussion on here about whether rehydration is better than just adding it directly to wort, I'll let you do the searching/reading and make up your own mind, but as far as what you've done, no need to panic. 18-20C is a good temperature to hold the ferment at. It may just not be bubbling because your fermenter isn't sealed properly. If you can see in the top (without opening the fermenter up), is there a foamy mass on top? And condensation on the lid of the fermenter?

I'm actually at work but I think this morning I remember seeing condensation on the inside of the lid. Not sure about "foamy mass". How thick should this mass be? When I put the lid on I checked the O-Ring looked good and clean, also making sure it was tight. I guess I'll see how it goes.

Original Gravity was 1055, but again this was measured at about 25 degrees. Is this normal too?

All sounds fine. As above - see if there is any Krausen (ie foam) on top when you get home. Any foam is a sure sign of fermentation but the only infallible way to know is to use the hydrometer to take a gravity reading and see if any sugar has converted to alcohol.
25C is fine, google "abv calculator" and you can punch your numbers in (including temperature.)

Everything you described above sounds absolutely in the ballpark for beer making results.

If I had only one tip it would be - ignore the airlock! It means nothing!

Good luck and learn to love your hydrometer before you break it, then buy another one and love that one! cheers.

Krausen thickness will depend on the yeast, but it should be a couple of centimeters thick I guess. 1.055 sounds about right too.

Thanks for the help guys. Put my mind at ease. Don't want to ruin my first brew!

I have somehow ended up with like 4 hydrometers so should be ok :)

I think looking from the side there was a few cm of foam.

Thanks again.

I can say for one, i have NEVER had bubbles through my air locks, i have 4 fermenters and 2 different types.. to be totally honest, i didnt even notice it wasnt! I wouldnt worry about it as a sign of fermentation.

A few cm of krausen and a drop in S.G. over a few days is all you need to look for!

Like so many others on this forum I have put my airlocks to the side and started using glad wrap exclusively. I find the visual confirmation by simply looking in for signs of fermentation is much better than staring at the opaque lid and watching the odd CO2 bubble.

I use my airlock to tell me if my bath is warm enough.

I also use it to measure the internal temperature of steak.

I'm surprised at the idea of mixed responses unless you are looking at US forums where the plastic barrel fermenter is less popular and the demijohn/carboy style is mostly used. Most common question for noobs and most common answer is do not rely on the bendy piece of plastic with water in it to tell you much of anything.

When you're having a bath and you try to fart and there is no bubbling, but there is a krausen in the bath, be concerned, however, when brewing and your airlock isn't bubbling but there is a krausen, stay calm.

Thanks everyone. I just got home and there is about 1cm of foam on the top of it. Also I gave it a slight squeeze and can see the water move in the airlock so I think it's fairly air tight. Anyway, I'll just check the gravity in a week or so and see how it goes.

I hear this bubbling question all the time, when i first started brewing i used to think the same way but after years of brewing i started to understand it more. all bubbling means is that their is air inside the fermenter which the air lock is pushing out. bubbling or no bubbling the beer will still turn out fine bro no stress!

Hi.
I have four fermenters for my Spirits which I have been brewing now for around 10 years, and very rarely do the air locks bubble. I also have four fermenters for my beer which I have only been brewing now for about 2 months. Two have the air locks and the other two don't. I have only had three times that I have had any bubbles. The SG and foam mentioned above is all you really need. Don't worry, I know I did with my first one and it turned out very good. Even my neighbour likes it, and he is very fussy!

I agree with Forever Wort, next time just use the o-ring to hold down some glad wrap over the top, prick a tiny hole in the glad wrap. Throw the air lock and lid away. Happy brewing!

My airlock always bubbles I find the bloop bloop comforting. Clingfilm is for hippies

Mine usually only bubbles when fermentation is at its most vigorous.

It does show positive pressure at other times, I've obviously got a leak in the lid somewhere.

What am I gonna do about it?

Nothing

I stick with the airlock because the "BLOOP" noise soothes my soul.

I'm thinking of sampling it and playing it on and infinite loop while I sleep......

My fermenter is 5 or 6 years old now still with original rubbers and it still gloops while fermenting. I also find the glooping comforting also.

Tropical_Brews said:
My airlock always bubbles I find the bloop bloop comforting. Clingfilm is for hippies
3773559+_87be5c734d1405da1cd72c4337074836.jpg

Latest posts

Back