No Bubbles!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
Hi guys..

Made two lagers this year. I made sure the wort temp was ok (it was 22 deg) before pitching yeast. I bottled the lager a bit over a week (about 9 days) when the sg sat on 1010 from an original 1030 and 1035 OG. The lagers were tooheys brand I used the yeast that came with the beer kit.

Ok so its two and half weeks on and the beer seems flat with not many bubbles. There are some bubbles not many.
I used coopers brewing sugar 1 T spoon in each bottle. I used Plastic bottles and screw seal lids to bottle in.

I cant see why the beer has not got many bubbles in it? Is this due to not being aged long enough? Or is it the sugars? Im sure the bottles are sealing.

Thanks guys on this one..

please lower your lager temps. way too high.

now onto the actual question..... 1tsp doesnt sounds like enough for a 750ml bottle. usualy its 2 carb drops pe longneck which would be more than 1tsp of sugar. thatb would make a big differance with your cabonation.

lids not being screwed on tight enough would also explain some of it. I cant remember what the recomended ratio of loose sugar to longnecks is. I think its 2.

Hi guys..

Made two lagers this year. I made sure the wort temp was ok (it was 22 deg) before pitching yeast. I bottled the lager a bit over a week (about 9 days) when the sg sat on 1010 from an original 1030 and 1035 OG. The lagers were tooheys brand I used the yeast that came with the beer kit.

Ok so its two and half weeks on and the beer seems flat with not many bubbles. There are some bubbles not many.
I used coopers brewing sugar 1 T spoon in each bottle. I used Plastic bottles and screw seal lids to bottle in.

I cant see why the beer has not got many bubbles in it? Is this due to not being aged long enough? Or is it the sugars? Im sure the bottles are sealing.

Thanks guys on this one..
I can't remember my per bottle priming rates but that seems about right.
When you pick up one of the bottles give it a squeeze. Is there any give? It should be very hard with not much give.
If it isn't then something is causing it not to carbonate properly.

Are you storing them at room temp or in a fridge? 2 weeks at room temp should see them carbonated enough, but 2 weeks in the fridge wouldn't...

1 heaped spoon is fine for a PET bottle...

Put the beer somewhere warm but not in direct sunlight for a couple more weeks. Katie's right, there's enough sugar to carb it. Just have some patience !!!

Put the beer somewhere warm but not in direct sunlight for a couple more weeks. Katie's right, there's enough sugar to carb it. Just have some patience !!!

well I have started using the carb drops and recently made a porter using two drops per coopers plastic bottle.
I dont think the t spoon of sugar was enough for the 700 ml bottles..Illstick with the carb drops see how it goes as long as they dont blow up

cheers

I can't remember my per bottle priming rates but that seems about right.
When you pick up one of the bottles give it a squeeze. Is there any give? It should be very hard with not much give.
If it isn't then something is causing it not to carbonate properly.

Are you storing them at room temp or in a fridge? 2 weeks at room temp should see them carbonated enough, but 2 weeks in the fridge wouldn't...
store under bed at room temp in the dark..

the bottles are firm and have no give..they might be just too young yet

Brewing sugar takes a bit longer than table sugar to ferment. Leave it another week or two at room temperature.

please lower your lager temps. way too high.

now onto the actual question..... 1tsp doesnt sounds like enough for a 750ml bottle. usualy its 2 carb drops pe longneck which would be more than 1tsp of sugar. thatb would make a big differance with your cabonation.

lids not being screwed on tight enough would also explain some of it. I cant remember what the recomended ratio of loose sugar to longnecks is. I think its 2.

its hard to get temps so low in this heat here in nsw. Ill be doing more brewing in the winter!!

Back